Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,447
0 members and 1,447 guests
No Members online

Old 04-22-2003, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Relationship Question: How long....

do you think a couple should be together before they get engaged? Do you think a couple should live together to "test the water" first, or should they only move in with one another after the marriage? And finally, do you think that high school sweatheart marriages actually last?
Old 04-22-2003, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Re: Relationship Question: How long....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jadey28
do you think a couple should be together before they get engaged? Do you think a couple should live together to "test the water" first, or should they only move in with one another after the marriage? And finally, do you think that high school sweatheart marriages actually last?

I don't really have an answer to this question but every couple varies.

Statistically speaking though, couples that tend to marry first and then move in together last longer than the average couple that decides to move in together before getting married.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Well it thing it depends on the couple an what time they are ready to be engaged. I personally think it is best to wait til you both have decent jobs and some money to make a marriage work.
I would encourage living together first because you can work out your problems early on and know if you will be able to handle living together. Some peoples living habits juts don't click with each other.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I know of people who had known each other for just weeks before they got married, and they're still married today.

However, I do not agree with cohabitation before marriage. Maybe I'm old-fashioned and you can call me whatever you want, but I was not raised that way and to me, it doesn't look right. Plus, what do you think is one of the top 10 reasons why men who have been living with their girlfriend for more than 5 years won't just marry them already? Because if they can live with their lady WITHOUT getting married, they aren't gonna rock the boat.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

First question, IMO, a year at least. People are too elastic these days. People often try hard to be someone that they are not in order to please a person. You can't be sure how someone really is, until after a while. Eventually the person's true colors will show. If you give them enough time for them to get comfortable, or the opposite, extremely stressed the elastic behaviors should decrease. IMO you cannot collect enough data on a person under a year, people are hell of good actors.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 04-22-2003, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think that how long varies and depends on the couple.

I don't necessarily think that people should live together just to "test the waters" but I personally think that living together is a good idea. Never in a million years would I get married to someone if I hadn't lived with him first, because I just don't think that you really KNOW someone until you live with him.

High school sweethearts? I don't know, and I don't know any high school sweethearts who are still together. I wouldn't say that it can't work, but I don't think it's a good idea if neither person has really dated anyone else. There will come a time when one or both of them will get curious and want to see what else is out there.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich

Quote:
Every couple is different...

That said...

At least a year before getting engaged I think is a good time to test the relationship waters. Hopefully a year is time to get through the puppy love/infatuation state. I'm against living together before marriage. I've read some studies that more couples that lived together before marriage have gotten divorced...sooo I'm against it for the most part. As far as HS sweethearts...I know a few very happily married for 25+year couples like that and think it can def. work.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamDiva Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaGamDiva
yeah, every couple is soooo different....all depends on how committed and really in love these people are. i, personally, would not live with someone b/4 i was married....that's part of marriage....if you love someone enough to be married, you love them enough without "testing the waters." at some point, the marriage will be strained, so what? you gonna act out every possible scenario to see if it "clicks?" not for me, all i'm saying.

and my parents have been together since they were 14, married in '76....and just bought a brand new mustang convertible...........those crazy, crazy kids!!!

My Facebook
Old 04-22-2003, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I think it's impossible to set a limit or an "engagement clock." However, with the rates of divorce, I think couples should really make sure they are ready to get married and are truly committed to staying in the relationship for the long haul...I, personally, don't think that can in done in a handful of months.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Question High school sweetheart?

What is the true definition of a high school sweetheart? Your first love? The person you started dating when you first got to high school or the person you started dating before college?
Old 04-22-2003, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Possibly, the older the two are the shorter the time they would have to know each other to become engaged or be married.

Even though they dont know the other person as well, they have a good chance of knowing themselves better and their role in the world around them.

No one can really say that any relationship will or won't work. Certain generalities are seem to work out statistically though . . .

So for example, the marriages of people that live together first are shorter than the people that don't live together before marriage. However, you will find that if you count total time of the relationship you will find the times to be about the same. They just reach the shelf life of their relationship.

I hate to second guess people and will leave out the whole idea of seeking self actualization or a myriad of life experiences before tieing onself down. And if you don't think you give a lot of things up becoming engaged or married you are fooling yourself.

I will say that marriage is an economic union for the purpose of having children. So the idea is to marry before the children in order to build a secure "nest" fo having children.

If you are not ready to settle down and start having kids or put together a nest specifically for kids soon, then I would question why you would want to get married right then.

I think its a mistake a lot of people make. They get married before they have to . . . and it limits them before their time.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
James,
Old 04-22-2003, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

When I say high school sweathearts, I am refering to the person you were dating when you graduated high school and began college. See, I am asking these questions for several reasons: 1) many of my sisters are engaged to the guy they have dated since sophomore year in high school. Most of these girls have only dated that guy, and they are now in their junior year of college. I worry that these ladies are going to marry the only person they know, and if it fails (not that I want it to fail...I wish only the best for them) they are going to be crushed and unable to move on in their lives. I am fully supportive of their decisions and I am happy for everyone out there who has been together for such a long period of time. IMO, people change dramatically from senior year of high school to their second year of college. I know I did, and I realized that the relationship I was in (with my sweetheart) wasn't what I wanted out of life. I met someone else....which leads me to my second point.
2) I have been with my guy for 2.5 years. We will both be 23 years old this summer, and we both have our college degrees. I feel like this is the time in my life where I should be planning the rest of my future...well, as much as I have control over. We have discussed marriage and children, but it's still not a serious conversation. All of my friends think that I will have a ring within the next year ( ), and I am in no rush to receive it. He thinks that we aren't ready yet...so that's why I wanted GC input on how long you think you should be together.
3) I have mixed feelings about living together before marriage. On one hand, I think it's good because you get to see if you could actually share a life with this person. On the other hand, I think it's not a good idea because you know that at any time you can run from the relationship. I agree with the posts saying that a couple will work things out if they live together after marriage. Oh, such confusion running through my head!

Anyway, sorry for being so long, and thanks for the feedback!

Happy Tuesday
Old 04-22-2003, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally would never dream of being engaged to someone I hadn't been dating for at least more than a year. But maybe it's right for some people.

As for living together before marriage... well I am doing that right now, but we didn't start living together till after we got engaged. And we're only living together now because economically it makes sense, since we're getting married in less than a year anyway. It's impossible to live without a roommate unless you make a lot of money in this area, and it would make things difficult if we were both stuck in leases living with other roommates when we get married. The plus side is that we are finding that we live well together

I guess high school sweetheart marriages could last... I mean, there's no set time at which each person will meet the person they were meant to be with. I know that in my experience, my HS sweetheart and I don't even speak to each other anymore.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
A decent model to follow might be to think this: When you want to have children, get married.

Otherwise, is some ways, its kind of like keeping score, the ultimate form of social validation. I have seen girls in despair that they won't get a candle pass or won't get that ring before the graduate or shortly after.

Its as if the ring is a goal in and of itself. There are girls on this site not even into their mid twenties that have had 2 rings given to them (two engagements) theere might even be a third. As bad as Ross on friends.

I have an intellectual understanding of the pressure that girls put on themselves, especialy when we consier the peer pressure around them . . . but that is probably a bad reason to get married or engaged.

So, when you are ready for kids you get married. What else is there to talk about?