Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,179
0 members and 1,179 guests
No Members online

Old 02-17-2003, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BluAce
Question Greek Prospects

A question to all Greeks, but especially to my Frat and Sorors.
I attend a small school with a low but very strong black population. We have very active NPHC Chapters, and seemingly very high freshman interest in our organizations. Recently we have been having an issue with(some)interested freshman announcing there greek "intentions" to the entire black population, before even going to an interest meeting. My fellow greeks have reminded freshman time after time to practice discretion, and keep there business to themselves. My university maintains a close-knit feel, and we as BGLO's have made an effort to bring forth unity in the black community. How do we finally get the freshman to understand why discretion is so important, without breaking down the closeness of our black communinity.Any Suggestions?
Old 02-18-2003, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Re: Greek Prospects

Quote:
Originally posted by BluAce
Recently we have been having an issue with(some)interested freshman announcing there greek "intentions" to the entire black population, before even going to an interest meeting. My fellow greeks have reminded freshman time after time to practice discretion, and keep there business to themselves. My university maintains a close-knit feel, and we as BGLO's have made an effort to bring forth unity in the black community. How do we finally get the freshman to understand why discretion is so important, without breaking down the closeness of our black communinity.Any Suggestions?
hello, blueace, how are you?

frat, please remember: for some people, the black greek experience is very new, so they may not totally understand the concept of "discretion" and why it is so very important within our community.

take for example, when you were younger and an adult or older kid told you not to do something (like cross the street by yourself, or watch a certain show or take candy from strangers, etc.), didn't you or someone you knew sometimes question their motives for telling you that? i'm sure you knew of other kids who disregarded those warnings and went on and did what they wanted to anyway, probably because they didn't understand fully why someone was trying to restrict their behavior in that way.

the same could be said for those who are not discreet after repeated warnings. they probably don't fully understand why it is important NOT to "put their business in the street" and probably see it as harmless declarations of admiration for the organization they are interested in. perhaps someone should take these freshmen to the side, and mentor them about discretion--in a personable, adult manner...my question to you is: have the greeks not only put out warnings about indiscretion, but given reasons WHY this is taboo? sometimes if a person knows WHY they are asked to refrain from an action, and told WHAT the ramifications may be, it may help them to decide not to do it.

now, if all bases have been covered, well, then, let the chips fall where they may. complete and thorough warnings and explanations have been given, so it's time for the individual[s] to experience the repercussions for their actions--whether good (forgiveness, lenience) or bad (non-acceptance, ostracism). perhaps the non-discreet person will serve as an example to the campus community for what can happen if one chooses to go the route of indiscretion, IMHO.

hope this helps, frat...
Old 02-24-2003, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

blue ace, what school are you at? i am in nc too. are you close?
Old 03-02-2003, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LB1914
It also doesn't help when Greeks try to question your motives when you try to tell a prospect to practice discretion. I thought that discretion, humility, and all of that good stuff was taught across the board, but I guess I was wrong. How can you tell a prospect to be discreet when someone else comes and contradicts that?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BluAce
Quote:
Originally posted by LB1914
It also doesn't help when Greeks try to question your motives when you try to tell a prospect to practice discretion. I thought that discretion, humility, and all of that good stuff was taught across the board, but I guess I was wrong. How can you tell a prospect to be discreet when someone else comes and contradicts that?
LB14, When we encounter individuals who are serious about the Blue and White (especially if they are freshman) we make it understood that what they are pursuing is their business, and to protect themselves and those who seek membership with them, discretion is essential. But I can see how Greeks can challenge you when you attempt to help non-greeks. Some feel that you may be trying to recruit instead of help. However, if a non greek who was not interested in my organization were to speak to me about greek life I would give them the same advise and those serious about SIGMA. If another Greek contradicts that, then maybe their motives are shady. But if someone were to question my motives, they just need to come correct. .
I hope my response to your question is helpful, If not, shoot me a line Frat
Old 03-14-2003, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was talking about your own Frat or Sorors getting on your case for telling someone not to go around saying that they are "going" to be in XYZ next semester or whatever. I try to let everyone know that nothing is guaranteed and that just because you meet the minimum requirements you are not a shoe-in to make line. I think a lot of students nowadays think that just because they have the grades and some money in their pocket we should just open the door for them no questions asked.

I haven't run into any problems with other Greeks tripping off of us interacting with GDIs, but some people act like it is okay for people to create usernames like "FutureXYZ" or to tell the whole campus that they want to pledge XYZ as soon as they become a sophomore or whatever. Where I'm from that's a no-no, but I guess some things aren't universal. In short, things happen where I would tell someone not to tell the world they want to pledge while another Frat or Soror will try to front me on it and think it is okay for a person to tell the world their intentions.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Some prospects also forget that some of us have long memories. In other words, we remember when you were all up under ABC or DEF your first two years on campus and we remember when you were telling everyone that you wanted to be an ABC or DEF. That's why I try to tell people to keep things on the low, because you never know what may or may not happen. What you may want at 18 may change at 20 or vice versa. With that being the case, it is best to keep your intentions to yourself until you are in a position where you can fully pursue membership in the organization of your choice.

Keep in mind that the rest of the campus(both Greeks and non-Greeks)remember things too, so don't be shocked when you are probating for XYZ and people say "Wasn't he at ABC's informational?". There are a lot of unwritten rules to the game and it is best to try to follow them.