Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,293
4 members and 1,289 guests
Cookiez17, John, navane

Old 12-09-2002, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Wedding Traditions

I am an alum and one of my alpha class sisters is getting married in a few months. A bunch of ADPi's will be at the wedding and we would like to do something special for her (with her permission of course!) at the reception! Do your chapters have any special wedding traditions? All I can think of is our traditional candlelightings... thanks for your help!

L&L,
ADPiUCF
Old 12-10-2002, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I would love for someone to think of some other things too, because I will be married in a year.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

adpiucf,
Well some sisters wear their pin on their camisole's or their slips under their wedding gowns. At one "ADPi wedding" I attended all the ADPi sisters at the wedding joined the bride in the room where she was getting ready before the service...we all sang "I Love the Pin" as the oldest ADPi in the room pinned her pin on the bride's slip, so that it both represented ADPi and took care of the "something borrowed." I loved that and it was sweet and didn't take too much time or attention away during the actual reception.
There was another "ADPi wedding" that was too far away for any of us sisters to actually attend. What we did in that instance was sent a bouquet to the ADPi bride that had violets, Magnolias and dogwood, (magnolias and dogwood would have been blooming in Georgia when ADPi was founded). We sent a note with the flowers saying that our love surrounded her at the beginning of her life with her new husband, just like the flowers surrounded the first sisters at the beginning of ADPi. The bride said she cried when she got it, and I cried when I got my bill for it (the bouquet was pretty darn expensive!) she had it with her while she got ready for the ceremony. She also dried the flowers and made them into a really lovely wreath!
At any rate those are my ADPi wedding experiences.
Remember also to take an "official" ADPi picture at the reception...those are so much fun to have!
L&L,
violets
Old 12-11-2002, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Violets,

That tradition sounds perfect! I just thought of one more-- My chapter is really big on the song, "Now and Forever." We sing it at prefs and during candlelightings, and it has come to symbolize ADPi sisterhood for Zeta Omega chapter. At an ADPi wedding I was at a couple years ago, we all got together and serenaded the bride with this song at the reception. She and her mom were in tears!
Old 12-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Violets - LOVE the "something borrowed" idea!

We always have a friendship circle and sing both "Remember Your ADPi Girl" and "When You Love an Alpha Delta" with the bride & groom in the center.

I've seen the pin on the ribbons from the bouquet, too. I had violets in my bouquet and the bridesmaids (which gagged the Phi Mu among them!). And of course, the azure blue bridesmaid dresses.

But the most impressive I've seen was when an ADPi sister married an SAE. Their wedding cake was a replica of each of their pins, for three layer, then a bridge between them and two more layers! We refer to that wedding as "The Godfather Wedding", since there were over 650 people there (for starters)!

honeychile
Old 08-30-2003, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Violets, that sounds so beautiful! I'll have to remember to do that when I get married!

Pink is my signature color. ~ Steel Magnolias.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by violets

Well some sisters wear their pin on their camisole's or their slips under their wedding gowns.
I really like that idea with the something borrowed but we were told that you were not allowed to wear your pin unless it was an adpi sponsored event (ie convention, chapter, districts, etc). The situation came up when a bunch of sisters were invited to the reinstallation party of the delta tau delta chapter and we heard that some of the other dates who were going who were in other sororities were going to wear their pin. So we asked our president and she told us that we werent allowed to wear it unless it was adpi sponsored.

Maybe we were misinformed but regardless I still like the something borrowed idea. I know a sister getting married next summer maybe we'll try that....
Old 08-31-2003, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by HBADPi
I really like that idea with the something borrowed but we were told that you were not allowed to wear your pin unless it was an adpi sponsored event (ie convention, chapter, districts, etc).
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the meaning of "ADPi sponsored", but wouldn't All-Greek badge day be something that is not specifically sponsored by ADPi? Or even if your giving a presentation and you decide you're going to wear your pin on your dress clothes? I've also seen in the Adelphean where a bride had all of her bridesmaids from her chapter, and they all wore their badges on their gown.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by HBADPi
I really like that idea with the something borrowed but we were told that you were not allowed to wear your pin unless it was an adpi sponsored event (ie convention, chapter, districts, etc).
While that is the letter of the "law", since many alumnae have their pins made into necklaces or rings (and EO sanctions it), I would think that wearing your pin to an All-Greek party would be fine.

As for weddings, I didn't wear mine, and have regretted it. Of course, I regretted my choice in grooms, too... I hope to do better the next time around - AND wear my pin!!
Old 08-31-2003, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Not a Mezzo
Hehehe...this must be THE post for Phi Mu's to crash....

These are all such lovely ideas! I'm maid of honor for a sister's wedding next June...I'll have to point some of these out to her!

Macon Magnolias RULE!
Old 09-04-2003, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to littlebritches
At AGD weddings, we gather the bride up and form a circle around her and sing"Alpha Gam Girl"