GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,122
1 members and 1,121 guests
naraht

Old 12-06-2002, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool what are you GIVING?

So what will you be giving others for holiday season.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Ooops hit the button too soon.

I got throw rugs for Grandmommy (the kind she likes and has been wanting)
Godfather dvd set for my dad (he will be surprised)
and movies for mom and little brother that they told me they wanted.

Shopping is tuff but worth it.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I went shopping today after work!! I had so much fun! For my 8 yr old brother, I got him a CD boom box type of thing.

For my 20 yr old sister, I got her the game Battle of the Sexes. I am also going to get her a cordless phone (b/c she is always stealing mine) and I was thinking about a pair of earrings, since for her birthday, which was in September, I bought her a necklace and pendant/charm type of thing that is beautiful. And of course, she wears it all of the time!

For my mom, I bought a very cute watch and am working on getting her a beautful diamond ring or diamond earrings.

For my grandpa, my sister and I got him a fleece blanket, and had it engraved with "Grandpa." Men are hard to shop for and my grandpa doesn't really need anything.

I still need to get my dad, HELP!!! I'm stuck! I'm thinking of getting him a pair of tennis shoes, since he got his last pair about 6 months ago. Maybe some oxford shirts, but he has so many! Ahhh! Men are so hard to shop for!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2002, 08:45 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Imthechamp
In exchange for the many great gifts I will recieve...I give back the gift of love.

Sounds fair to me.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

It has been a tough financial year for our family -- recent marriages, new grandchild, job eliminataion for a time and a new house (great timing on that!), so Mrs. DeltAlum came up with the idea of a "White Elephant" Christmas. Instead of buying something for everyone, first, we draw names. Then we give that person something nice we already own and can get along without.

It's certainly not that we're all destitute, just a little short this particular year. This way, everyone (especially the kids) saves money and still has something under the tree.

Also, several years ago, Mrs. DeltAlum and I decided that each year, instead of the usual gift stuff, we would buy each other season tickets to the Broadway touring series at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts. The seasons have been excellent (including the world premier of the tours of Lion King and Sunset Blvd.), and that way, we're guaranteed seats. In addition, we don't get so busy that we forget or don't buy tickets to the shows and miss them. We buy cheaper seats (the series is reasonably pricey), but have the option to upgrade for the shows we really like.

That has worked very well and taken off a lot of pressure.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Delt Alum-- good idea! My parents just bought a vacation home and are feeling overwhelmed with the sudden onset of a second mortgage and set of bills to pay annd house to furnish, so we're not really doing gifts this year--focusing instead on love and spending time together as a family eatinng good food.

mr. amycat and i are taking each other to cabo san lucas 2 weeks after christmas as our gift to each other.

am making my fabric covered photo albums for friends and mr amycat's mother and sisters.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PSK480
a little early to ask don't you think, it's not even December 18th or 19th yet. We have all this time to put it off like good college students do with everything else.
Phi Sigma Kappa - Nu Pentaton #480
"From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -William Shakespeare
Old 12-06-2002, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Mom--getting a Trans-Siberian Orchestra CD, American Idol: Best Moments of.. (or something like that) CD, and finally Room for Squares by John Mayer.

Dad- getting the Law and Order: Dead on the Money CD-ROM game.

Younger Brother: getting a Grateful Dead CD and Bob Dylan CD.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chopper816
im still formulating ideas, im really bad at figuring out what to buy people!
Old 12-06-2002, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PSK480
a little early to ask don't you think, it's not even December 18th or 19th yet. We have all this time to put it off like good college students do with everything else.
Not if you're Jewish...

Money has been tight around here as well, so we're cutting way down on the gift giving.

My husband and I are getting each other an Xbox and some games as a combined birthday/Chanukah gift. (Both our birthdays are late in the year.)

We gave a carriage clock and a set of liqueur glasses to my in-laws.

My parents will be getting a set of colored martini glasses. We want to buy them a second gift, but haven't decided what.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

DVD player for the girlfriend is all I've bought so far.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-07-2002, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shark In Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark In Skirt
Yay! Christmas shopping!

Mom and Dad: A variety of really, really good coffee since they're both addicts; sweatshirts that say "Gamma Phi Beta Mommy" and "Gamma Phi Beta Daddy."

Roomie: Really cute baby blue fuzzy bedroom slippers with little pink hearts; "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and the sequal, "Shopaholic Takes Mahatten"; A teddy bear dressed up in a little elf costume.

Dorm-mate (also a sorority sister): A perfume which I haven't picked out yet.

Big Sis: A sweatshirt with our letters and on the sleeve: "Annie's Big Sis."

Ex-boyfriend who I'm still practically dating and is my best friend of all time: Silver stud cufflinks from Tiffany's or else an engraved money clip from Tiffany's. Or maybe a watch box.

Best Girlfriend: She is impossible to shop for, so I think that I'm going to get her a gift certificate to our favorite resteraunt... and hopefully she'll take me to help her spend it later.

I need to get some other stuff for my sorority sisters, also... I'm glad I haven't got any siblings!

XOXO,
Annie, who knows that "it's the most wonderful time of the year."
Old 12-07-2002, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Mom - Talbot's boiled wool sweater in navy blue if I can find it. She's worn out her other one. A Santa hat with Grandma embroidered on it.

Dad - flannel pj's are always a big hit. A Santa hat with Grandpa embroidered on it.

Brother - a toy fire engine. we were window shopping one was on display and he commented how he never had one when he was little. A Santa hat with Dad embroidered on it.

Sis-in-law-A Santa hat with Mom embroidered on it. That's it so far. She's the hardest person to shop for. Her baby is due anytime now. I'm thinking the Bath & Body Shop lotions for new moms. Any ideas?

Soon to be new nephew-teddy bear with Santa hat with his name embroidered on it.

I'm going through this phase wear I like to cross-stitch.

Jeepers only twenty days 'til Christmas.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TigerGirl52
I need some ideas for gifts for my honey. Money is extremely extremely tight. I want to give him something heartfelt yet something that won't kill my pocketbook.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

It is not the cost of the gift, but the feeling that goes with it!

Yes it is hard to buy for someone who has everything. But, to buy, is insane. Just to by to impress is not the gift that could be presented the best!

When I got divorced, I had nothing! She got it all! Nuff Said!

Well, I took a little something to Family Christmas and apologized as I did not have much to buy with!

My Mother took me aside and told me "Tom. We are Just Glad That your Here"!

God Bless Her Lo This 4 years, I miss Her!

Give from the Heart, not the pocket book!

Love is the Greatest Gift that there is!

LX Z # 1
Alumni