Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,158
0 members and 1,158 guests
No Members online

Old 12-05-2002, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Article bashing SUV driving and drivers

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fe...2.mencimer.html

I would like to own a SUV eventually, so I guess I must be an a$$hole in training.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:11 PM

The link didn't work for me.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Your link says Page Not Found.

Probably can imagine what it says though....
Old 12-05-2002, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Try this.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea....mencimer.html
Old 12-05-2002, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, that's actually worse than I expected by title. What a horribly written, blatantly biased article. Isn't a journalist supposed to at least attempt to show both sides?

Anyway, I have encountered the guy in the Expedition who gets in the lane he knows is closing, races me up to the cones and tries to force his way over in the logic that if he's in a tank and I'm in a two door coupe he can bully me all he wants. On the flip side, my mom drives an SUV and is the most courteous to a fault driver I've ever seen. She drives it because she's not quite 5'2'' and likes being big and above the road for once. It's almost always a weak argument when you try to make sweeping generalizations like the author is going for here.

I will say though that living in Denver I'm a little annoyed that everyone, and I mean everyone thinks they need a sport ute. I used to share an office with a woman who lived alone in a trailer park, was alone in her car 99.9% of the time, never went anywhere even remotely outdoorsy or adventurous, yet drove a Pathfinder with a Nature Conservancy sticker on the back. Stuff like that is one of my foremost pet peeves. If you have a single valid reason why an SUV is the most practical vehicle for you to drive, fine. Don't just get one because they're trendy.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Ok is this article for real? Cuz I"ve been driving an SUV for 6 years now, and I think I'm a more careful driver then the little teenage punks driving around in the Contour SVT's and Mustangs, and the list goes on.

Blah.

KLTC
Old 12-05-2002, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I find that in the DC area, that most of the things here ring true. Sorry, but I cannot see around these things. But the solution is not for me to go out and get one.

I find that a lot of petite women buy these things and then drive them like they are invincible, and like there isn't another soul on the road any longer. Their line of sight sucks, and I cannot tell you how many times I've had to honk for dear life because someone was just moving over and couldn't see me over their car's big ass! AND THEY WEREN'T SIGNALING EITHER!!!!!!! GRR!!!!!!

They usually hog 2 spaces because they don't want their precious baby scratched or simply because it doesn't fit in a normal space.

I think these gas guzzling SUV contraptions are probably the worse inventions ever.

I agree with this article.

I drive a Taurus and my next car will be a Grand Marquis.

Last edited by sigmagrrl; 12-05-2002 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

All SUVs do is pollute the enivorment.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:53 PM

Sorry but I gotta agree with the author on a lot of things. I've noticed that many times people who have SUV's have a hard time driving them because they're so big. Trouble keeping in their lane and trouble back in (and out) of parking spaces. The same goes for huge trucks too. My sorority sister was killed during spring break because an F-350 hit her on the driver's side. I bet she would still be alive today if the person was driving a Taurus.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chopper816
i went from a mustang, to a firebird, to an explorer and i can say you actually become a better driver going from sports cars to an suv. I like mine b/c it has 4 wheel drive, and it becomes really useful in the winter here. also, its nice having space to haul stuff, the only thing i could really put in my firebird was my bookbag for school. its nice that i can throw my golf clubs in the back and they fit, and i can haul other things too.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I too, agree with the author. SUVs are often dangerous and almost always, too big than the driver needs. If you need it for towing, buy a pickup. If you need to haul lots of stuff, get a van. Just don't get it for your family of four.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in one of those annoyingly yuppy, trend-conscious, suburb areas, and probably 80% of the cars on the road are SUVs. And most of the people don't know how to drive them.

I drive a *lot* (an hour to and from school every day) on the interstate and around town. I find SUV drivers are bad, but for my money, the worst drivers are in Fords. Mostly the Tarus, the Contour and the big-ass 6-wheeled trucks. I can't tell you how many times I've been tailgaged, nearly hit, cut off, been stuck behind one going 45 in the fast lane.

I used to think I wanted an SUV. I was driving home after my last final in college, had all my stuff packed up and was all upset about college "ending." Well, I almost met my own end that day. It was raining and my car hydroplaned all over the interstate. I am positve that had I been in an SUV I would have flipped over and probably been seriously hurt. I was very glad to have my little Mitsubishi Galant, which was low enough to the ground to not go flying off the embankment that I was spinning on.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I've driven sports cars (real ones -- two seat roadsters, not muscle cars masquerading as sports cars) pretty much all my life.

My biggest single complaint is not that people drive SUV's, etc., but that they feel invincible in them.

That's particularly true in the snow.

Because they have 4WD, and can get off the line faster, they feel they don't have to drive carefully.

Someone should remind them that we ALL have 4 Wheel Stop. They slide into things (like little roadsters) just like the rest of us.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

IMO, if you need an SUV/truck for actual -work- then it's just fine and shouldn't be questioned. Otherwise, I agree with others on the car vs. suv debate somewhat. I drive my Jimmy because majority of time, I need it to deal w/the ever-so-changing weather of Ohio and the traveling of backroads, and no little rice burner could fill the job like my baby can, heh. Also, when I'm traveling w/semi's I much rather be hit by by a semi in an SUV than some little 4-banger tin box.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

IMO, this may be a bad analogy, but here goes....SUVs are like guns. I believe driving in a SUV will protect you more than a car will (unless it flips, lol). However, if someone is irresponsible that can be dangerous to other people on the road.

Also I go on a lot of road trips in which the majority of the trips are in the deep woods. SUVs are great for going off road!!! On the other hand, so is my '98 Dodge Neon!