Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,300
1 members and 1,299 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-07-2002, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

AA Coaches in the NFL or the lack of...

League to respond to lawyers' request for meeting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The NFL is considering meeting with two lawyers threatening to sue the league over the lack of black head coaches.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed Sunday that the league received a request from Johnnie Cochran Jr. and Cyrus Mehri, the two lawyers who released a report on the issue last week.

"We've had many meetings over the years on this subject," Aiello said. "We're considering the request and will respond next week."

The letter, first reported in the New York Times, was addressed to commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who was out of town. Aiello said that while Tagliabue might not meet with Cochran and Mehri, they could meet with some other top league official.

Tagliabue long has advocated hiring more black coaches. There are currently two in the NFL -- Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts and Herman Edwards of the New York Jets.

Using statistics from the past 15 years, the lawyers' report said black coaches had been more successful than their white counterparts, but that they weren't being hired in numbers commensurate with that success.

"Black coaches are being held to a higher standard," Cochran said. "Now is the time for the NFL to step up and make a change."

Since Art Shell became the first black head coach of the modern era with the Raiders in 1989, there have been five: Dungy, Edwards, Shell, Dennis Green and Ray Rhodes. Terry Robiskie was an interim coach with Washington for three games in 2000
Old 10-15-2002, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

The AP article is pretty short, but ole Johnnie was on the Tom Green Show last week and spoke at length about the reasons that brought along this cause of action. And in truth, you can't help but understand where he is coming from (if you love football.)

The Black coaches have continued to perform well, and have great lifetime records. But they can't even get interviewed for a job nowadays. It just doesn't make sense. Why? These are great coaches who have a proven track record. What gives?

In my own personal opinion, I think that most owners would agree that these are untapped resources. But, as the situation was when Black quarterbacks started to make their mark, there is little faith they can take a team to the Super Bowl.

And that stinks...
Old 10-15-2002, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by straightBOS
The AP article is pretty short, but ole Johnnie was on the Tom Green Show last week and spoke at length about the reasons that brought along this cause of action.
I'm sorry, but when you said Tom Green, all I could think of was that clown from MTV (Drew Barrymore's ex). Johnny was really on his show or do I have him confused with another Tom Green?

Anyway, they like to keep African-Americans in the background or as asst. coaches. Why is it that we are good enough to run and catch, but not good enough to coach? Even though it's only NCAA, I know that new coach at Notre Dame have a lot of people eating their words....
Old 10-16-2002, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: home of the nation's highest car insurance rates :(
Send a message via Yahoo to stillwater15
it never ceases to amaze me that black athletes are the majority when it comes to playing in the nfl, but represent less 4% of those in positions of power, i.e. head coach and/or general manager. w/the exception of ray rhodes, no "modern day" black head coach in the nfl has/had a losing record.

don't even get me started on black head football coaches on the ncaa d-1 level. it's absolutely sickening. however, i've thought about methods that could be used to make sure blacks get a fair shake, but honestly, i couldn't come up w/anything.

i'm not a notre dame fan, but admittedly, i enjoy the success t. willingham is having. let's just hope it continues, because there weren't any nat'l championship expectations for him this year or the next. if they start losing, it could get real ugly, real quick. blacks are already on a shorter leash, just because...