GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,007
0 members and 1,007 guests
No Members online

Old 09-02-2002, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Five keggers: now illegal in OH?

Law On Beer Kegs Challenged

Professor Files Suit

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The state of Ohio is being sued over its five-keg rule.

The law says anybody who buys more than four kegs of beer at a time has to sign an affidavit listing the host and location of the party and agreeing to a police search.

The rule is aimed primarily at curbing out-of-control beer parties at colleges.

The suit was filed in federal district court in Columbus by a professor at Ohio University in Athens, on behalf of the American Civil Liberties Union.

The state plans to defend the law although officials acknowledge it's never been invoked for an actual kegger search.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Five keggers: now illegal in OH?

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
Law On Beer Kegs Challenged

Professor Files Suit

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The state of Ohio is being sued over its five-keg rule.

The suit was filed in federal district court in Columbus by a professor at Ohio University in Athens, on behalf of the American Civil Liberties Union.
Well, that's my Alma Mater for you...
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I am glad someone is challenging that law.

That is another silly statute that gets enforced and has unintended consequences . . .
Old 09-02-2002, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
I go to Ohio U and we spent a day discussing the law in one of my poli sci classes. We came to the conclusion that you could just buy 4 kegs at a couple different stores. however, only in Ohio would you see something like that....

As a side note, Athens got a Walmart (very big deal) and they are selling kegs too.....has anyone ever heard of a walmart doing that before?

Side note # 2--the professor is not a political science prof, as a lot of people seem to think....he's actually a biology professor

Last edited by OUlioness01; 09-02-2002 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Kegs at Walmart!!! I need to move to Ohio James, that'd be cool in Jersey
Old 09-02-2002, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

5 Keggers

Interesting Legal Issue, Alchohol has always been tightly regulated by the state. Anyone with a beer/ alchoholic beverage permit in Texas Consents to "Administrative Searches" to secure Alchoholic Beverage Code Compliance.
I'm not sure this will be a slam dunk for the ACLU, the Courts will probably employ a balancing test to determine if the waiver/ search is "reasonable " under the 4th amendement to the US Constitution and whether the State has a compelling interest in regulating what are arguably commercial quantities of alchohol even though the party is technically private.
Hope I didn't bore anybody could't help the attorney coming out in me.

When I went to school at UT Austin in the mid 1980's we typically had 20-25 Kegs at a party. At Roundup(our big spring open party we had 50 + Kegs) what were we thinking!
Old 09-06-2002, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Walmart in VA Beach sells them. Unheard of here in PA, where you have to give your left testicle or first born to get a 6-pack.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

moxie how could you give your left T?

In Kansas, home of the Head HYPO-CRITES as an owner of an Alcoholic Beverage Store, you muuuuust have the serial # of any keg that is sold in tyour business along with the ID information as to the person making the purchase!

I have owned 2 types of businesses in my life: Alchol and Tobacco!

I have been getting sh#t for 23 damn years not only from the Local Alocholic Board, the local Cop Shop, but from the ATF!

Hell my butt puckers up every time a suit that I dont know comes in to my store! Or maybe a Kid underage who is sent in by the suits to try and catch me do a NONO!

In Most instances, that is called entrapment but not in these 2 types of businesses!

We pay more damn sin tax than anyone and they try to screw us! Da!

Young people in college are going to break loose when they leave the nest to show hey I am a big kid now! Well to many timews it goes wrong and someone dies or is maimed!

2 instances, I was down for Initiation and a new member wanted to drink a whole Qt of flavored Brandy! I put a stop to that real quick! The second time, there was a designated driver to go pick Brothers up if they did not feel they could drive!

i for one was damn proud of them for that as Alums did not tell them to do it! They did it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-06-2002, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom: I have my ways.....*insert wicked laugh here*

Kegs were not allowed to be consumed at all on my campus. People would get around that by sitting it in a stall on a toilet and making fake legs for it. It was soooooo weird. The energy spent making a keg look like a person would allow one to consume a beer, pass out earlier, and save creative energies for Clay I class.
Old 09-07-2002, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

This should be a moot point for Delt chapters since it's against the rules to serve alcohol from a "common container" such as a keg.

Risk Management.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Georgia's keg laws are even worse than the 5-keg law! About 2 or 3 years ago, the State Legislature passed a new law that requires EVERY keg to be registered when purchased. The buyer must state the location the keg will be consumed at and must certify that no on under 21 will consume from that keg. This places nearly ALL liability on the person who physically purchases the keg. Basically by purchasing the keg and signing the paperwork, the buyer assumes responsibility for the content of that keg and claims he/she will monitor it's distribution.

This new law stemmed from a HIGH SCHOOL keg party in Atlanta where some girl drank heavily from the keg and then was killed in a car wreck after leaving the party. The parents sued the party host and the owner of the house where it was held.

In an effort to help curb keg parties and underage drinking - with an emphasis on HIGH SCHOOLERS and not on college students - this new law was passed.

Of course, we all know that common sources of alcohol are ILLEGAL for any fraternity or sorority, so the point should be moot. But if your campus is like mine, and I'm sure it is, it's those "off campus" or "unofficial" houses or apartments of members that find themselves hosting the keg parties now. What so many undergrads do not realize is that PERCEPTION of a chapter event is all that is necessary to link a party to a specific chapter.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

That sounds like my town, they are SO strict, and the cops are at EVERY SINGLE PARTY, and we dont even have greek houses, so the cops have to go out searching for these partes in BFE, and they STILL find them. And I am not exaggerating. But, we can get kegs at walmart here in oklahoma, so thats cool!
Old 09-10-2002, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
well, i can see how this can be a good thing in the eyes of risk managment at nationals or something. i went to school at miami u of ohio and i know they were just itching to get this law in place. in fact, being the oh-so-screwed-up town it is, oxford and the university police tried to do something like it even before the law was considered seriously. they have a lot of time on their hands. they'd rather bust a small house party or ticket your car than try to crack down on the rape statistics which miami doesn't have any of. okay, sorry, went off the deep end and off the subject for a minute. in ohio, at least on the west side, they need to be more concerned about people going to indiana to buy everclear than someone buying more than four kegs. oh, and as for the PA thing - i totally hear yah there. i grew up in PA and know how hard it is to acquire alcohol. i was stunned when i moved out to ohio. i couldn't believe they sold alcohol of any sort in super markets and convient stores.
oh yeah, and yall think you have strict risk managment at your school. come to miami sometime and just try to have a social with alcohol. not going to happen. at least not easily. first you have to "apply" if you will for a social event. you have to fill out an ungodly amount of paper work such as an over under list of your members, who will be providing and serving the alcohol, who will be checking id's b/c you can't have a memeber do any of those things. and then you get to give it to panhellenic a certain number of days before the social is scheduled and then if you are approved you can go through with it. but god forbid you should want to have a social at one of the frat houses. no no, we can't do that and still have alcohol. no socials held at a frat house can include alcohol at all. oh and you have to register the party for certain times and if you are caught still having the social past the end time you will be brought before panhellenic. lovely huh.

shelleyj

Last edited by alphaiota; 09-10-2002 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
moxie how could you give your left T?
Tom, she was MoxieBoy until she bought 2 six packs
Old 09-26-2002, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure if this is a state or city ordinance, but hear in Pullman, we have to register every keg that you buy. This has been the case for as long as I've been here (5 years) and I'm sure it goes back to the 80's at least.
Since the state like to Idaho is only 8 miles away, and they have a lower tax, a lot of people like to go there to buy everything, including kegs. The problem: It is illegal to carry a keg over state lines. On slow nights, the cops will collect the list of kegs registered and go find them. They'll card everyone there and hand out MIP's and MIC's like candy.