Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,186
3 members and 1,183 guests
John, UW_dawg

Old 08-21-2002, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Spirit

Hello ladies! I put a thread on the rush page but have had no responses so I thought I would try it here! Does anyone have any good suggestions for keeping sisters spirits up during the demanding week of rush? We usually give out silly little awards and snacks at the end of the night, but I would love to hear what else we can be doing! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-21-2002, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi there! and welcome to the boards!

I am old so I don't really have any current ideas as I haven't participated in a rush week in ages. When we had rush week we really didn't get anything special and I think the most motivating factor was getting a brand new awesome pledge class-sounds cheezy I know. Maybe you could have a drawing for some cute greek gifts like letter shirts or cute AXO things? Have a drawing each night at the end of the hectic day. In College Station we had a greek store called the greek boutique and they had so many cute things-do you have any place like this where you can get items from? You could single out people too-like the most enthusiatic rusher for the day goes to ........
or the best smile of the day or the best attitude of the day etc...
Good Luck!!
Old 08-21-2002, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelSMSU7
I know exactly what you are talking about. Recruitment time can be soooo stressful and demanding. My school's recruitment starts in a couple days and we are all dragging. What I've found to be helpful is to plan fun, little sisterhood events during the week. This helps refresh everyone while getting to bond with your sisters! For example, we had a door decorating contest, a banana split night, a spa night, and a shaving cream fight outside our house. It was tons of fun, but they were little activities we could do at our house as a "break" from the stress.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Something cool we did (I can't remember if it was during rush or not) was have one of our sisters who sold Mary Kay come in and do a mass-makeover. She sat us all down with plastic trays and little samples and she directed all of us in proper application at once. It was a lot of fun, and granted it helped that we had our own personal Mary Kay rep, but what rep would turn down the chance to sell to a whole chapter of girls?
Old 08-22-2002, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up What about a masseuse?

I had considered this as an option for our chapter, since there's a massage school not very far from our campus who was willing to donate services. Nothing too strenuous or complicated...just a really good back rub would do wonders to relax minds and boost spirits--and it wouldn't cost much--if anything!
Old 08-24-2002, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for some great ideas ladies! I especially like the massage suggestion...I'll have to look and see if we have a school anywhere around! Might just have to hire some pro's for the advisors, heh heh!
I've been looking on the rush board, and have come up with some other ideas I thought I would share!

(1) Get into rotation or bump groups, sit in a circle, and write 3-4 positive things about the member on your right. This is something to do right before parties start so everyone has a good feeling about themselves just as the pnm's walk in the door!
(2) Cut posterboard into 9x9 pieces, punch two holes in the top, tie a piece of string through the holes, and then put it on your back. All the members walk around writing nice things on each others cards...again a nice quick way to get things pumped up before the pm's come in!
(3) Cut strips of paper in our colors and give to each sister...pass a stapler around, and each member has to say why she is a strong link, and why she is a weak link...at the end it shows how even with all the strengths and weaknesses we are still unified. Would be a nice touch before a preference party maybe?

Anyway - thought I would share!