GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,318
4 members and 1,314 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 07-29-2002, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Question for Actives

I was at Albertson's yesterday and a friend posed a question.
Here's the scenario. Refering to our extended area-
Last year, out of 10 sororities O girls joined A and B and C, 1 joined D, 1 joined E and 1 joined F and 1 joined G.
2 joind H and
4 joined I
7 joined J.
Numbers are pretty accurate as far as we could recall.

C-The one girl has never become really involved and was wanting to return home- parents said no.
I-One was unhappy in a large system and transfered never made friends. The other 3 stick to themselves and have not expanded their horizopns.
J-3 are quiting, a 4th is debating.

J is a big legacy soro. The mother is afraid that because of the ones who quit, it may cause the actives to "think twice" about extending a bid to girls from here. J has often had more legacies go through than quota.

She also wondered if the others who had NMs that were not what they hoped, would be influenced against our area. I told her I had NO IDEA! Any opinions???
edited-Thought I would add-Quota runs 65-70.

Last edited by justamom; 07-29-2002 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
I would think that unless your area is really small such that everyone has to know one another or unless a girl goes through rush and says "I grew up with so and so" or "Our family vacations with this family" or whatever, then it shouldn't be a problem. However, if things go like they sometimes go, even if a girl doesn't mention knowing certain people, the sorority can find out relatively easily. They can find out where your sort of "loyalties" lie. Then there is stuff you can't help. For instance, what school you went to. Here, we know that pretty much 100% of girls who went to St. Agnes will go to a certain group and the same for other schools...It's dumb how it works, but people just go where they are familiar. I don't know if I am making sense anymore, so I will stop this rambling!
Old 07-29-2002, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
P.S. Are the girls just generally unhappy with school or are they unhappy with the sorority? I can't imagine what it would have taken to get me to want to quit!
Old 07-29-2002, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

dzaigirl, I can't speak for all, you know how it is when it goes through the grapevine, but for two the info came directly from the mothers and 4 from the girls themselves as they have been over here through out the summer.

Transfer-big fish in little pond didn't like being one of a ton of fish in an ocean. (She really did choose for all the wrong reasons IMO)
Killarney-if you read this, this was one of those associations I spoke of on your thread.

Comes home too much-Misses HS and her on again off again boyfriend-lonely.

The other four. Well, lets just say that one just doesn't like the
formality of it all, she is a wild child (IN A FUN WAY) the other 3 are like a chain. One who never was cut out for it is deciding she made a mistake. Number 2 admits just doesn't feel comfortable and number 3 doesn't want to stay if the others go. However she is thinking if she gets a little sis it would make it better. (I don't think that is such a good idea for a NM, but keeping my mouth shut)

Maybe this was an impolite question, I don't know. Nothing scandalous just a fact that not everyone will want to do study hours, community or campus service. No reflecton on the sororities. The mother just wondered if it would be a reflection on OUR girls. THERE IS GOOD NEWS! One of my daughters friends signed up to rush as a Sophomore at A&M!!! They had a long talk and she is realy excited! We just hope she doesn't get all nervous and change her mind.

edited to clarify-no rush infraction here Unless pointing out in early summer,all the good reason TO go through with an AXO DG and her Mom a KD present counts as an infraction.

Last edited by justamom; 07-29-2002 at 05:25 PM.