GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,310
0 members and 1,310 guests
No Members online

Old 07-11-2002, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kaydphia Send a message via Yahoo to Kaydphia
Talking Interview Questions for Teachers

Good Day to all Greek Chatters. I have an assignment for my health education class this summer to interview a teacher and ask them several of questions about the field in general. I know many of the people that visit here are teachers, so I hope that you guys will help me out as much as you can.

1. What grade do you teach?
2. Why did you decide to teach?
3. When did you start teaching?
4. Where do you currently teach?
5. What is your educational background?
6. What is your philosophy of Education?
7. What was the most rewarding experience for you?
8. What was the least rewarding experience?
9. What is your "teaching style"?
10. Have you ever experienced teacher burnout?
11. What is your opinion on mainstreaming and special education in general?
12. How do you feel about teacher pay?
13. Opinion on year round schools?
14. Opinion on Alternative Schools?
15. What are your styles of classroom management?
16. Any feelings on corporal punishment?
17. Opinions on health screening done in schools?
18. Have you had any HIV/AIDS, abused, neglected, homeless students- how did you handle the subject/issue?
19. Any advice for a beginning teacher?
20. What type of questions did the interviewer ask during the interview process for your teaching job?
21. Did they ask for examples of lesson plans, portfolio, or reference letters?

Thanks alot for all of those who attempt to try.
Kay
Old 07-14-2002, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Interview Questions for Teachers

Sorry for the delay in my reply, it was truly not intentional. I have been out and about

For the past 4 years, I have taught 9th and 11th grade English literature and composition.

I have wanted to teach since I was in elementary school. Back then I wanted to teach spelling and language. I wanted to teach because it was the only profession I saw EVERYDAY in myriad forms, good and bad. This is the one profession that impacts us, be it good or bad, as a society. I teach because I value education, learning, and children.

Professionally, September 1998. Personally, I taught my brother 2+2 when I was 6 and he was 2.

I am preparing to start teaching in Charlotte, NC. Kay if you want to know the exact school hit me up via PM.

I graduated with a BA in Psychology and English with a minor in Education and Women's Studies from Wittenberg University and have taken graduate coursework from THE Ohio State University.

I believe that EDUCATION is the most valuable commodity in our world. However, not everyone takes full advantage of the opportunities that learning offers. Education happens not just in the classroom.

Wow, there have been so many but a recent one was a student of mine who is not into reading AT ALL. Well one day another student of mine returned to me my copy of THE COLDEST WINTER EVER and Stacey remarked that is a thick book. So I told her yeah you know 406 pages but it is a good book. She was not feeling me. She told me she has never read a book. So knowing what I knew about her I told her this book was so much like her, not really but I knew that it would peak her interest thoroughly. I challenged her to read the first 2 chapters that night and if she did not like it she could skip homework for 2 nights. Well the next day I saw her walking down the hall READING that book you hear me? She was on page 70 something. Well she read itevery chance she got, including while she was in my class supposed to be taking notes. LOL, so instead of confiscating food, I was confiscating the word. She finished it and then her mom read it, they had a discussion about it. After Stacey read it, 6 other students borrowed it including one of my young men sudents who also read it with his mom. Needless to say my book is not in perfect condition anymore. It is now filled with kool aid stains, grease stains, and the back cover is gone bye bye. But that book touched some lives and started 12 of my students on the road to reading Black authors. So much that i had to publish a list of Ms. CT4 recommends.
I am going to miss those kids.

When this boy vandalized my bag.

LOL, jokes, stories, movies, discussion, group work. . .reading books. I talk to my kids. I am dramatic and will act something out in a minute. I use personal examples. I really try to make a connection with them on some level.

YES and when I get to the point where I feel myself wearing thin, I take a mental health day.

It is a tough call. Some kids benefit from being mainstreamed and other kids work best with a one on one special ed aide or instructor.

It needs to be HIGHER by at least $15,000. Yes we get 10 weeks off but think about it. Lesson planning, curriculum meetings, parent conferences, courses to keep us in sync with current teaching methods, paper grading, etc. etc. etc. Also ALL student loans should be paid, wiped out, etc.

I am all for it. There are certain schools in Columbus that moved to that to improve test performance.

Since not everyone learns the same way, we do need alternatives for those students.

-- Truthfully, I handle it as much as possible in my classroom. My students know from jump how I am and they know when they have pushed me too far. I try to be as fair as possible. I call home and talk with other teachers who have my problem child.

Can we bring it back? For real, I am not joking. Some kids need a good azz whipping.

Not sure I understand this question but yes you can screen them.

18. Have you had any HIV/AIDS, abused, neglected, homeless students- how did you handle the subject/issue?

In terms of AIDS and homeless not that I know of. However I have had gay students. Well just one for sure but he had so many other issues, like being a major liar that I never took him too seriously. He was an attention seeker basically.

MAke mistakes but learn from them.
Get a mentor teacher.
Keep in touch with parents.
Utilize all resources.
Be human.
Don't forget who you are there for.

20. What type of questions did the interviewer ask during the interview process for your teaching job?

*Lessons that I have done in the past that were successful/unsuccessful

*Classroom management style

*Favorite teaching moment

*How would you ________?

No to portfolio although I had it but yes to lesson plans and references. The more references the better.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kaydphia Send a message via Yahoo to Kaydphia
CrimsonTide4 thanks a lot for responding to my post. In the education field there is a great need for African American teachers and thanks for your help in making it better for future teachers. I appreciate your advice.
Kay
Old 07-16-2002, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

The answer is.....

Sorry it took me so long, but here goes...

I teach 9-12

I really wanted to help our youth get a good start in life...I know that teachers are the people who have the greatest impact on a child's life and I felt that I would and could be a positive role model. I wanted to be there to encourage and support our youth.

In 2000.

Mayo Magnet High School for Math, Science and Technology

B.S. in Information Sytems

It is my belief that the purpose of education is to provide a caring, nuturing, and safe enviroment where students can develop academically, socially and morally. The curriculum should accommodate for differences in learning styles and cultures by fostering student centered learning that encourages cooperative interactions with faculty, staff, peers, parents, and local and neighboring communities. The curriculum should also provide challenging and developmentally appropriate programs that promote self-expressiona nd creativity.

We I was honored as first year teacher of the year.

When I had a parent challenge a project that I had assigned.

Becuase students learn differently, I try to incorporate a little of them all.

Not Yet.

I believe that we should mainstream those students that show the most potential...becuase every student should be given the opportunity to grow....a lot of time students with behavioral problems are placed in special ed...the placing of these students in special ed actually stops their growth.

We are not paid enough for what we have to endure...we are considered professionals, but are not paid as one.

I do not welcome year round schools.

I think they are benefical if they are not abused.

I am very hands on. I am also authoratative (sp)....I try to make my students feel comfortable and yet respectful.

I do believe in corporal punishment.

N/A

N/A

Read "The first days of school" by Harry Wong, it really works. Also make sure you have lessons that are engaging...do projects and diversify your assessments...don't use test as your main basis of wheather and student has grasped a concept...use projects and labs...they work just as well. Also, be organized...your kids will respect a teacher who is organized.

a. What was your motivation for going into education?
b. What type of classroom management would you apply in this situation (they gave a scinerio).
c. Do you believe in tests as the greatest assessment method.

No.

Thanks alot for all of those who attempt to try.
Kay
Old 07-26-2002, 05:08 PM

Cool My answers... *smile*

1. I teach 3rd grade.

2. It is a diverse field where a person can have great flexiblility-
also I believe that more blacks need to teach.

3. One year ago.

4. In Florida.

5. I have a B.S in Elementary Education, and I am currently working on my Master's in Mental Health Counseling.

6. My philosophy is that all children can learn, people learn differently- if you apply a different style with a dose of persistence, you would be pleasantly surprised.

7. My most rewarding experience was when I was teaching first grade. One of my "babies" was working on her math problems -it was difficult for her so she began to cry. I gave her a big hug and told her we can work on her math tomorrow. The next day I brought in some "M&M's" and we found another way to count. She found that the candy was helpful because it was something she could identify with. She not only completed her difficult math problem but got a "B" on her test. She gave me a card a few weeks later. *sniff*. I never forgot her.

8. When parents want to come to me with foolishness. Trying to tell me how to run my classroom. No Ma'am... Until you have walked in my shoes, did the lesson plans, been held accountable for the students test scores, or assessed my job performance -You can't tell me CHIT.!!!

9. Firm but fair. It also depends on the students I have, because sometimes they(your students) need to see you smile. But not for the first semester.(Just joking).

10. No, but if I feel I'm getting to that point then I take time off.

11. It depends on the severity of the learning disability, some children with ADHD or Autism don't need to be in a mainstream classroom, but some may benefit from it.

12. I'm fine with the pay, you are not gonna get rich teaching. But have you ever seen a teacher starve? It's not about how much money you make, but what you do with it.

13. It depends on the students.

14. Same as 13.

15. Firm but fair. Some students you can just look at them and they will behave. Others will try you and you may have to "Fuss" and sit them in a corner.

16. WE NEED MORE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen how some of my students talk to their parents. Back talking, saying what they "won't do". I could've NEVER gotten away with that.

My mother would have politely "handed a slap down".(And a few times she has) . After she handled it, she then would dare me to cry. I guarantee you this, she never had that problem out of me again -I got dealt with EXPEDITIOUSLY!!!

17. It is necessary, because you need to be aware if any of your children need medication etc.

18. Yes. But... I(nor any teacher) is allowed to divulge that due to the child's privacy. That all falls into confidentiality.

19. Advice. This is a wonderful field. Don't get caught up with what your friends are doing. And how they are getting this monetary incentive, or they are flying here for this big meeting. When you carry yourself like you are supposed to and do your job nothing else matters.

And remember "If you enjoy what you do, you will never work a day in your life".

20. Why should I hire you?
What are your tactics with behavior management?
Can you work well with people?
How would you communicate with your students parents?

21. Yes! Always have a portfolio handy -it says alot about you.

Another bit of advice...

Always be nice to everyone you meet because you never know when you will see them again. I worked a side job in the mall and I helped a woman find accessories for a wedding she was going to attend. I helped her find a dress, earrings, shoes, etc.
I walked in for an interview and she was the Principal. The first thing that she said to me was "I remember you, you're the lady who helped me in Mall -you were so nice". I said to myself "Thank You Jesus"! I got the job and I'm still at the same school... You never know.

Last edited by Lizanabavi; 07-27-2002 at 03:50 PM.