GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,132
2 members and 1,130 guests
LaneSig

Old 06-24-2002, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Accidents and Children

I decided to post this topic because of a traffic accident that recently occurred a few miles outside of Dallas. It hit close to home because I live in the area and have small children in my family. A church van traveling to a church camp hit a freeway barrier. A total of 6 have been confirmed dead and 4 were children. It is believed that the driver fell asleep at the wheel.

For those of you who are parents, do you decide that in light of recent events you restrict your childrens activities? Do you decide that you should be the one that takes them where they need to go or do you still completely trust your childs life in someone else's hands? I am not a parent myself, but I just wanted to get your opinions.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard about that story on the news a few minutes ago.

Since you brought up the subject of children and accidents. Locally for the last couple of weeks, children died because of incidents in the water.

Most of these kids have drowned. The latest one was this weekend where the child was in a boat and fell in the water and drowned. BUT, other cases have been where kids are swimming in areas where there are BIG AZZ signs that read NO SWIMMING! Yet, they STILL go out there, WITH THE PARENTS and tragic events happen. I do not understand this.

I had to vent.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: So close to the city of Big Shoulders, that I can almost taste it
Recently (April 7, 2002) I had a very close girl-friend lose a daughter. This three year old was the third of four children, the youngest being 8 months. It was tragic (to say the least).

The child drowned at a house warming party, where the new home owners had an indoor pool. According to the reports (I got most of my info from the newspaper, because I didn't wanna make my friend keep retelling and retelling the story and you know how "inquisitive" some folks can be), there were several doors leading to the pool, and one was mysteriously left open.

Just having something like this happen to somebody that you know personally really makes you take stock. I have decided that I will "adjust" some of my ways.

When I was taking "Driver's Ed" in high school, I remember our instructor saying that driving wasn't an accomplishment, it was a process. He told us that we should always be learning something on the road. Personally, I look at child rearing the same way. As my daughter gets older, I'm learning new things on the daily. I'm also changing my format as necessary. We have to keep these babies safe.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

With all the events that are taking place in the world today, I find
myself becoming somewhat paranoid (or more than usual) with my son. I am not comfortable with the idea of my son taking the
school bus on a daily basis, and just worry a lot when he is away
from me. We must realize we can't change fate, but we can try to keep our children as safe as possible when they are with us.

It's funny that some of the things that we did or our parents
would let us do as children (i.e. playing outside, riding bikes in the neighborhood, sleep overs, etc.) we now have to do with extreme caution.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Angry These people need to be arrested....

While crossing the street during my lunch hour, what did I see but an infant sitting on the lap of someone in the front passenger seat. The infant could not have been more than 3-4 months old. Mind you, there was a woman sitting in the backseat (probably the idiotic mother) and an empty carseat!!!!! I was so I was wishing that a police officer would see this and pull them over and give them tickets. How stupid can people be?????