GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,630
1 members and 1,629 guests
KatieKate1244

Old 06-18-2002, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NoShame_Gamma
Thumbs down The View

I'm not a fan of "The View"... Not because I don't like it, but because I was never able to watch. However today, I was watching an episode (I think it's recent because they were talking about the Scooby Doo Movie) and Joy (I think that's her name - she reminds me of Bette Midler) made what I though was an EXTREMELY IGNORANT comment!

They were talking about her hot flashes and she said something that went like this:

- I feel like a bunch of Mexicans just opened a taco stand on my chest!

First of all, what? It makes no sense to me (remember she was talking about "hot flashes"), but what she said: "A bunch of Mexicans... taco stand." That was wrong! And worst, her co-host said nothing.

Any opinions? Am I over-reacting? Does she always make comments like that?

Anyway, I doubt I'll continue watching, that's for sure.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Wowzers Joy is actually a DZ... I agree her comment was very inapproprate and uncalled for, as to what it means? maybe she gets heartburn from mexican food...i don't get it either? Write or email the show, tell them how outraged you and I'm sure others were, maybe she'll apologize?
Old 06-19-2002, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Maybe she meant that her hot flashes were as hot as Mexican food or as hot as Mexico. It's kind of a weird thing to say especially on tv.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:21 AM

On the subject of The View, which I watch when my schedule allows, I've always wondered what the beef was with Debbie M. She's the ex co-host that Lisa Ling took over for.

Does anyone know?
Just curious.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I actually saw that episode. The thing is, she's going through menopause and they had been discussing how she gets hot flashes...and then she got one in the middle of a segment and one of her co-hosts asked her if she was ok. Joy replied, "Are you kidding? It feels like a bunch of Mexicans opened a taco stand on my chest." I agree it was inappropriate, but she was just making an analogy with her hot flashes and something that would be considered hot.

Last edited by ROWDYsister; 06-19-2002 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I heard Debbie M. was too ditzy and not in sync with the group.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I heard that Barbara couldn't stand Debbie and got her kicked off the show.
About the hot flashes comment... I was also watching that episode and when Joy said that I thought to myself, "What is she saying?" It did seem like an odd comment and I didn't understand the analogy. She probably could have said something better. I agree with IowaHawkeye that you should e-mail the show and let them know how you feel.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Did you ever see the SNL skits where they did "The View" parody? Cheri Oteri played Barbara Walters...anyways, whoever the guest was played Debbie. I think it was Sarah Michelle Gellar, and the whole time she acted like such an airhead, and Cheri/Barbara kept yelling at her and eventually told her to leave the show. I guess this was right after the real Debbie left, so they had her come into the skit, and she told Cheri/Barbara off.
I've seen the show maybe 2 times. I think ALL of them are so annoying, it's like a gossip hour with 5 women trying to talk over one another. If it was more like the skit on SNL (like actually funny), maybe I would watch.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROWDYsister
I actually saw that episode. The thing is, she's going through menopause and they had been discussing how she gets hot flashes...and then she got one in the middle of a segment and one of her co-hosts asked her if she was ok. Joy replied, "Are you kidding? It feels like a bunch of Mexicans opened a taco stand on my chest." I agree it was inappropriate, but she was just making an analogy with her hot flashes and something that would be considered hot.
I really don't think Joy meant anything by her comment. She was having hot flashes and described what they felt like. She's also a comedian, so she uses a lot of humorous analogies. Spicy, hot food is a common thing at Mexican restaurants (which is one reason why I LOVE them)!

It would be like having a pounding headache and saying, "I feel like a bunch of Irish people are doing Riverdance in my brain." Although I'm Irish, I would still be the last person to take offense to something like that.

At any rate, I honestly don't think that Joy meant for her comparison of hot flashes to spicy Mexican food to be condescending or demeaning.

Just my .02!

Last edited by dzrose93; 06-19-2002 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
i try to catch the view as much as i can (yeaa A&E for showig re-runs) and i seriously DOUBT if anything racial was meant by Joy's comment. The ladies on the show have been doing it for 5 years or so, so they check each other without regret each and every time it's necessary. I'm not saying they're best friends in real life, but from watching the show regualrly i know that Star Jones wouldn't let anyone intentionally disrespect another culture or what have you. They all check each other (and sometimes the guests) and can laugh at it later. hope this made sense.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by dzrose93

It would be like having a pounding headache and saying, "I feel like a bunch of Irish people are doing Riverdance in my brain." Although I'm Irish, I would still be the last person to take offense to something like that.
lol!
Old 06-19-2002, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a fan of Joy anyway. It seems that no matter what the topic is, she has to throw in an inappropriate comment, usually a sexual one. Sometimes I just want to bop her on the head and say "That was totally inappropriate!!"

Also, since I listen at work with the headphones on, I wish Meredith would quit pounding on the table when they first start talking!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 07:36 PM

Hollywood Squares question

I was changing chanels on TV a while back and I caught a few minutes of Hollywood Squares.

One of the questions was, "what do you call 5 witches?".

Bobcat Goldwaith answered, "The View".

The real answer was a covenant.

Last edited by madmax; 06-19-2002 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROWDYsister
I heard Debbie M. was too ditzy and not in sync with the group.
All of them are ditzy!