GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,048
0 members and 1,048 guests
No Members online

Old 06-16-2002, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Christian fraternities and sororities

Do any of your campuses have Christian GLO's? I know that most GLO's were founded on Christian principles, but I have heard of certain orgs that are totally Christian in nature. This means most, if not all, members are involved in a Christian groups, NO alcohol, don't participate in formal rush, etc. How do they hold up on your campus, do they participate events like Greek Week, are they visible, what are they like overall? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2002, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

We have them... I've seen their meetings and I think I've even met a few of them. Nothing remarkable. They don't wear letters or anything. I think they're even co-ed.

What does not drinking have to do with being Christian anyhow?

LHT
Kevin
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-16-2002, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

A friend of mine is in a Christian sorority, which is a local. In fact, she was one of their founders. I can ask her about it and see what info. I can get for you all.

Last edited by SATX*APhi; 04-09-2004 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

The only Christian group that I know of (and they do not permit smoking or drinking) is the Mormon sorority and fraternity known as.....

Sorority-
Lambda Delta Sigma is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (LDS corresponds with Latter Day Saints, i.e. Mormons)

and their Fraternity counterpart-
Sigma Gamma Chi

These are found at campuses with a large Mormon student population. However, I was told once that the various Brigham Young University campuses do not permit fraternities and sororities, including the above ones.
However, there is a BYU with an LDS sorority chapter (in Hawaii) so maybe I have it wrong.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 06-16-2002 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
there is a christian fraternity that I know of. XA is at a few campuses and I think I saw they had a house at FSU....
Old 06-16-2002, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ivysis
At CU Boulder there is one sorority (Alpha Delta Chi) and one fraternity (Alpha Gamma Omega). The sorority does not do formal rush with the rest of us, but they do rush. AGO does do formal rush. They are social greek organizations. They even participate in greek week and other events. They are small, but close. They survive because people are interested in them, similarly to AEPhi, ZBT, and AEPi.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Some of the colleges I've been associated with have had local Christian sororities. Most don't last a long time; the problem seems to be that many of their members drive away PNMs by talking excessively about how Christian they are. I swear that I actually heard a member say, "And tonight I'm going out with my Christian friends to a Christian night club where we'll hear a Christian band." PNMs and others were also turned off by displays of smug self-righteousness on several occasions.

I know that we are commanded to go out and spread the Gospel but the Lord warned the Pharisees and Sadduccees about the self-righteous bit.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ivysis
Oh yeah, the sorority isnt a local. Im not sure about the fraternity, but I dont think it is either.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via AIM to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via Yahoo to DZTUBAGIRL
At my last school they had a group called Alpha Omega but I don't think it is run like a glo. At the school I am at now they have Chi Alpha.

Anne Marie
Old 06-17-2002, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

At UCLA we had the same groups as at CU Boulder, Alpha Delta Chi and Alpha Gamma Omega. They did not really mix with the rest of the greek system very much. ADX didn't have a house but AGO did.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:54 AM
cutiepatootie

at the University of Arkansas the only one i could even think of was Chi Alpha. I found that out during first week at campus and through the BSU on campus.

LAura
Old 06-17-2002, 05:42 AM
GreekChat Member

long message....

Just before I finished college, I helped a bunch of ladies found a sorority. My local sorority, Kappa Delta Sigma is a Christian sorority. We tried to get recognized at Cal State Long Beach, but the Greek Affairs advisor totally gave us the brush off. She said that they (the university) didn't want to have any more new sororities on campus because we wouldn't have a national organization to support us. I tried to explain to her that we were a special interest sorority, and not trying to be an NPC, and she wouldn't have any of it.

So, after talking to her, I turned right around, walked next door and talked to the man who normally coordinates the NPHC and other "ethnic" GLOs. He understood right away and was completely supportive. He did, however, strongly encourage us to try and affiliate with a pre-existing Christian sorority. We did speak a bit with Alpha Delta Chi, but didn't think it was for us. Also, we received an extension packet from Phi Beta Chi, another Christian sorority. In the end, we felt that none of the available options was a good match for us.

So, we founded Kappa Delta Sigma. Yay kappadel! We're still not recognized at my university. Kappadel will be two years old this October, so we don't really have a traditional recruitment yet.

At any rate, we founded KDS with the intention of being a social sorority that happens to be Christian. (Does that make sense?) We also do NOT evangelize - that is, our activities do not include walking around campus with Bibles and stopping people as they walk to class.

We do NOT NOT NOT discriminate - that includes religion. Yes, one can be Hindu and be in KDS. That may not make sense, but hey, who are we to tell someone "No, don't learn about Jesus!"

Ok, so, one might say, "But lots of NPC sororities are Christian-based." To that we respond, they may be, but as non-members, we don't *really* know that. The ladies who founded KDS were of the opinion that, NPC and IFC groups are OK - no one was against participation in the current system.

However, their concern (from first-hand knowledge) was that there was more partying and inappropriate behavior going on than what anyone (in the greek system) wanted to admit to. (Anyone reading the fraternal news list has seen the news on at least one of our fraternities at CSULB ). That made some of the ladies feel uncomfortable - like they'd be really out of place.

They also mentioned how a couple of the current Bible study groups on campus were cool, but that they didn't feel like they could just hang-out like friends. So, they put two and two together and deciced that a Christian sorority would meet their needs.

Sooo...I hope that I've helped give some insight. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone might have!

Oh yeah:

Kappa Delta Sigma
Motto: "One Heart, One Goal, One God"
Verse: Romans 15:5-6
Colors: Blue, Green, Golden Yellow
Mascot: Lion
Symbol: Gold heart
Jewel: Diamond
Flower: Sunflower
Philanthropy: Anything that helps others. Though, "Samaritans" is a group based out of San Diego that does work in Mexico. We support Samaritans because, not only can we raise money for them, we can do a lot of very meaningful hands-on work as well.

......Kelly

Last edited by navane; 06-17-2002 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
On my campus, there is one NPC sorority that is known as the "christian sorority". When that specific GLO came to campus to recruit new members into beginging a colony, a lot of Intervarsity (IV) women were chosen. They pride themselves on being the Christian Sorority on campus.
However, they have lots of problems. Because they are a national NPC Organization, they must participate in formal recruitment. And while most of the Houses on my campus are at least 100+ members, they are stuggling just to make total at 55. Apparently during the recruitment process, they stress that they are the Christian Group on campus and read versus from the Bible at each round. While the other GLO's are doing skits, singing songs, and showing slide shows.
My grandlil' told me that when she rushed that house they told her that "Jesus would lead her to the right place for her"...considering she is Jewish...that didn't go over all that well.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

At TX A&M there are:

Phi Beta Lambda Sorority: (Phi-Lamb) large, local organization specifically worship-oriented, but lots of social activities

Beta Upsilon Chi Fraternity: (BYX) large, local, specifically worship-oriented, lots of social activities

Aggie Men's Club: (AMC) greek-without-letters-type of org., considered rather elitist, very Christian-based, mix with panhellenic sororities fairly often

Sigma Phi Lambda (Sisters for the Lord)- very large (275+), VERY worhsip oriented, non-exclusive, local

Phi Beta Chi Sorority: (Beta Chi) small (50 members or less), Lutheran Church-affiliated, national org., touted as a Christian (emphasizing)"SOCIAL" sorority, VERY preachy, VERY conflicted (say one thing-do another), bad experiences with these girls......

Kappa Phi Club- Methodist Church-affiliated, small (less than 30) national
Old 06-17-2002, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Chi Alpha?

All the flyers I've seen about Chi Alpha have said that it is *not* a fraternity or sorority. My campus has a chapter and they don't do rush or have a philanthropy or anything like that.