GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,005
0 members and 1,005 guests
No Members online

Old 05-02-2002, 02:35 PM
UMgirl

Favorite Part of The Purpose!

I was just wondering... what is everyone's favorite line(s) (section(s)) of the purpose and what does it mean to you?

To possess high ideals and to attain somewhat unto them.

I like this part because to me it says you should have goals, high ideals and think highly of yourself, but if your not perfect no one is going to care because no one is perfect.

To develop and prize health and vigor of body.

This one also because I think it says that you should love yourself for who you are and whatyou have.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGDPrincess70
What an awesome thread! Here's mine:

...those who know me may esteem ALPHA GAMMA DELTA for her attainments, revere her for her purposes, and love her for her womanhood.

I love this part because it shows how important AGD is in my life, and that it helped shape me to be the person I am today.

LIEP,
Holly
Old 05-02-2002, 04:13 PM
Unregistered-

Thumbs up

"To honor my home, my country, my religious faith."

After 9/11...that line suddenly had new meaning.

"To possess high ideals and to attain somewhat unto them."

Tonya's explanation is right on the money... do your best, but keep in mind no one's perfect!
Old 05-02-2002, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
Re: Favorite Part of The Purpose!

Quote:
[i]

[/B]
This is also my favorite part! It shows how Alpha Gamma Delta makes me live the best way I can and to always strive for my goals!!
Old 05-02-2002, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Re: Favorite Part of The Purpose!

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl

I like this part because to me it says you should have goals, high ideals and think highly of yourself, but if your not perfect no one is going to care because no one is perfect.
Ditto Tonya! I also like...

To welcome the opportunity of contributing to the world's work in the community where I am placed because of the joy of service thereby bestowed and the talent of leadership multiplied.

I think I like this part because it took me the longest to learn and I think that that's symbolic of it's meaning. It's almost smack in the middle of our Purpose and it's not just about community service...it's about getting back only what you put in.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite line of the Purpose is in my signature. (Its also on my screen-saver at work, lol).

"To hold truth inviolable, sincerity essential, kindness invaluable."

To me, that is the tenet by which I strive to live. Its important to me to always be kind, sincere, honest and fair in all my dealing with other people. I want to treat others in the same way that I would like to be treated.

That part of the Purpose is, to me, a wonderful and poetic way of reaffirming the Golden Rule.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lisa Fishman
It took me a while to resond to this super thread. I wanted think about it a while. Unfortunately, many of yall picked some of the same ones I did.
Mine are: "To honor my home, my country my religious faith..." and "To welcome the oppertunity of the world's work in the community where I am placed because of the joy of service....." I first line I chose because in the US people have the right to choose what ever religion they want to practice and the US is a kind of melting pot for all of us. This is important to me because of my Judiasm. (I know that sounds a little cheesey) But I think it is true.
I chose "To welcome the oppertunity of the world's work..." because doing something for my community satisfiys me and I have done community service before my Alpha Gam days. I chose to do community service in high school because I chose to be in Anchor Club. I also did some service type activities in my temple youth group. In Judiasm we call these types of service activities "mitzvahs" (pronounced mits-vahs). Service activities can include: local (school, town projects) to helping or serving your country (i.e. military etc...) or global like giving to a cause to help Israel. (i.e. United Jewish Appeal, planting a tree in Israel) Or local such as your local Jewish Federation to fund a needy Jewish family. So inconclusion, my two favorite lines I chose seem to go hand in hand with each other. Lisa

Last edited by Lisa Fishman; 05-03-2002 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to hawaiiagd Send a message via Yahoo to hawaiiagd
To cherish friendships...

...with a chosen few and to study the perfecting of those friendships.

The Purpose, in its entirety, is held very close and dear to my heart, but in choosing a favorite line, I'd have to say it's this one.

I don't know what my life would be like without my friends.

We all have some great acquaintances out there... some closer than others... but our friends... our true friends... are special gifts. We should know who they are and give them the love and attention they so deserve.

Loyally,
Mai Ly
Old 05-06-2002, 12:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
Re: To cherish friendships...

Quote:
Originally posted by hawaiiagd
...with a chosen few and to study the perfecting of those friendships.

The Purpose, in its entirety, is held very close and dear to my heart, but in choosing a favorite line, I'd have to say it's this one.

I don't know what my life would be like without my friends.

We all have some great acquaintances out there... some closer than others... but our friends... our true friends... are special gifts. We should know who they are and give them the love and attention they so deserve.

Well put!!! I second that!
Old 05-08-2002, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
Mine is "To Welcome the Oppurtunity of Contributing to the Worlds Work in the community where I am placed, because of the joy of service therby bestowed and the talent of leadership multiplied" That means the world to me b/c I think it's so important to give back to your community in any way you can. I think it's a joy to be of service and that it's so important to do it. Also, I am a firm believer in leadership and I love being a leader and it's great when leaders can get together to do amazing things!!
Old 05-08-2002, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JenAGD Send a message via Yahoo to JenAGD
Holly,

We are on the same page! "That those who know me may esteem Alpha Gamma Delta for her attainments, revere her for her purpose, and love her for her womanhood" is my favorite too. It totally captures what Alpha Gamma Delta has done for me in four years. It has inspired me to capture my attainments, given me a wonderful purpose to live by, and taught me what it means to be a true woman.

LIEP,
Jen
Old 05-09-2002, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

It's so hard to pick a favorite line of the purpose because it really works as a whole, but I'm going to have to say my favorite line is "To covet beauty in environment, manner, word and thought." If we are conscious of our words, actions, and thoughts, and keep them from being ugly or hurtful to others, we make the world a better, happier, and more beautiful place.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Some years ago I was at a workshop. One of the assignments was to write our personal creed. I had mine done in a matter of minutes. I simply wrote The Purpose.

Think of how much society, women's place in it, and college life have changed in a century! Isn't it remarkable that the elements of the Purpose are as valid for us now as they were for those early Alpha Gams?

LIEP,

N

(who has collected the purposes/creeds/symphonies of other GLOS thinking that it would be interesting to compare them)
Old 05-21-2002, 04:15 PM
UMgirl

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDAlum
(who has collected the purposes/creeds/symphonies of other GLOS thinking that it would be interesting to compare them)
Did you find anything interesting?