1 members and 921 guests
sks211

Old 04-17-2002, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Murderer of TSU Phi Mu gets sentenced

Two life terms given student's murderer
By KRISTIN FRANKLIN
Staff Writer
Family and friends of murdered Tarleton State University student Ashley Elizabeth Beasley crowded the Falls County Court House in Marlin Friday to witness her murderer, John Edward Wilburn, Jr., receive two life sentences for the March 4, 2001 crime.

Wilburn, 25, who shot Beasley as she drove on a Falls County highway and then raped her, pled guilty to felony murder and aggravated sexual assault before being sentenced. According to Delayne Montemayor, friend of the Beasleys, because the judge "stacked" the sentences, Wilburn must serve 30 years for each felony before becoming eligible for parole.

"He will have to serve the first 30 years and then start working on the second sentence," Montemayor said. "That means he won't be eligible for parole for 60 years."

Montemayor said that the hearing was divided into two parts, beginning with the aggravated sexual assault charge. The second part of the plea hearing gave 11 of Beasley's friends and family members a chance to confront Wilburn and read statements on how his crimes have affected their lives. Montemayor read a statement on behalf of the Phi Mu sorority, of which she and Ashley were both members.

"It was what I expected as far as the trial goes," said Montemayor, who works in the Erath County probation office. "But being on the other side was a lot more emotionally draining than I thought it would be. Seeing him in person for the first time was very tough."

According to an article published in the Waco Tribune-Herald, Beasley's mother, father, sister and grandfather all gave emotionally-charged statements expressing their feelings toward Wilburn and the agony they must endure every day. Montemayor said that Wilburn "never looked up" while the statements were being read.

"My prayer, John Edward Wilburn, is that you will live a long life in prison," Beasley's mother, Linda, was quoted as saying in the Tribune-Herald. "May you feel the agony she felt, may your body be violated as hers was. I will pray everyday for the rest of my life that you never walk out of prison to rape and murder another mother's child."

Montemayor said that the Beasley family remained "very strong" throughout the hearing. And even they were not told which prison Wilburn would be sent to, Montemayor is certain it will be a maximum security facility where he will live out his sentence.

"We are just glad it is over," Montemayor said. "Knowing that he is going to prison helps us out a lot. He will be there until he is 85 so we won't have to worry about him for a long time."
Old 04-19-2002, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
That is a horrible thing to happen to a young girl. I'm so glad that this asshole is off the streets. My prayers go out to the family, friends, and sisters of that Phi Mu chapter. Rest in peace Ashley and LIOB.

KLTC