Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7

Old 04-02-2002, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beta_MN
Becoming a Dry Chapter???

Hey Guys!
I am a Beta at Minnesota and we are tossing around the idea of becoming dry. I was wondering if any of you have dry chapters. What kind of rules do you have? For example, can you drink of have alcohol in your rooms? Things like that. If any of you are in a dry chapter or have went through the process of becoming dry, I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2002, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, we at Alpha Tau at Nebraska have a completely substance-free house. However this doesn't mean we don't drink-just that we don't do it where we live.

Our rule for being dry is simple: No alcohol of any type allowed in the chapter house at any time. Outside, on our property isn't in violation of our house code, but is in violation of University policies so it's risky, but does happen-particularly in our parking lot.

If a brother is suspected of having alcohol in the house then the suspicious party must go to a member of the Executive commitee to let them know about it. At that point they must find 2 other execs (for a total of 3) willing to act on the suspicion before they can proceed. They then question the individual, and if he cooperates and admits to having the alcohol in the house, he forfeits it to the execs who pour it down the sink. If he admits to having it then he is not fined for the first offense.
If the execs question him and he doesn't admit to possessing alcohol then the execs are to search the room in question. If they find alcohol then it is poured out and he is fined $100. For the second offense, whether or not he admits to possesing the alcohol it is is a $200 fine. The third offense results in the expulsion of the member from Beta, the removal of his role number and he will not be granted alumni status at any time in the future. He has to move out in 10 days, and his house bill won't be refunded. Also any debts he owes to the house must be paid in full or he will face legal action in order for the house to recoup the money they are owed.

The house went completely dry when this years Junior Pledge class were freshmen. That year there were more incidents than the past two years combined.

At times I'm frustrated by it, b/c there are times when you'd just like to have a beer and chill, but I also see the benefits of it, and they far outweigh the negatives associated with being wet, and the simple pleasure in just having a beer. Our house is the cleanest, best kept, house on campus, something which girls always notice. Our campus is supposed to be dry, and so we only have Campus Security do walk throughs once a semester, while other houses have them as often as once every 2 weeks, sometimes they have periods where the CSO's come by every weekend. Our house was also the only fraternity house that was used for tours during HS senior visit days, b/c it is clean, and last year when it rotated they occasionally would open a bedroom to find people drinking when the tours went through. Plus the lack of booze focuses the emphasis on studies Sunday through Wednesday nights. The only other negative about being dry, other than just wanting to chill out and have a couple beers, is that girls are less likely to come back to our house after a party to just chill, unless they already decided to shack.
However throw in other benefits like lower maitenence costs, lower insurance premiums, nicer furniture, and an environment where people who don't drink feel welcome, and I think that the small social, and personal negatives are kinda pathetic reasons to be wet.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

The Oshkosh Chapter (Beta_MN, as you may know) is not alcohol free, and we have little stipulations. The only rules we have is: No open parties in the house (organized rush events and social events are allowed), and underage drinking is not allowed.....now, whether those rules are followed....???

We are at a point of looking for our own Chapter house, not a piece of garbage that we rent. So, I would think that rules and regulations would be a lot stiffer when we get a house that we own. If we ever decide to go MOP, I am sure the rules would tighten too. But until then, I am sure we will stay wet.

PS, MN...nice house, I have been there several times. When I was in school, our chapters roadtirpped quite a bit. I think they still do!
Old 04-03-2002, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beta_MN
The thing is, is that we are already MOP and I feel very guilty every time I read the General Fraternity's regulations on alcohol and in the back of my mind I know we are breaking them. Some say that if we become dry it will break a lot of brotherhood tighs. I think that it wouldn't, and that it would only make our brotherhood stronger. It would take alcohol out of focus for our chapter which would make things much more productive. I was just initiated in January and I can already see that alcohol plays too big of a part in discussion of house issues. But I guess even if we go dry, alcohol would still be an issue, my hopes are that it won't be quite as big!
Old 04-03-2002, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I am sure that a lot of Beta chapters contemplate the same thing, "If we go dry, people will not want to live in house, or come to the house, and our brotherhood will suffer....etc."

We must look at it this way: If we joined Beta for beer, we joined for the wrong reason, and if we cannot succeed in a non-alcohol environment, then we should not be a chapter. However, if alcohol is managed properly, there should be no problems. But, when problems arise because of/over alcohol, then the question must be asked: do we need to be alcohol free to function properly?

Best of luck up at Beta Pi, keep us informed. Zeta Zeta (Oshkosh) is probably in the same boat as you are. You just have a way nicer house!!!!

-kai-