GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,156
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 1,091
0 members and 1,091 guests
No Members online

Old 03-18-2002, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Analyzing the 5 POINT THRUSTS of DST

1. Of the five point thrusts of Delta Sigma Theta, which do you see as the most critical in our society? Why? What are the strengths of this particular thrust?

2. Each thrust has several international programs that aligns with the mission or objective of the respective thrust. Some national programs include the Betty Shabazz Delta Academy, Thika Memorial Hospital, and Summit V: Health and Healing -- Let It Continue. Using the thrust that you deemed as most critical, identify or create a program that coincides with Delta's mission. What does your program hope to accomplish?

*****EDITED********
In case not everyone knows, here are the 5 POINT THRUSTS of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.:

1. Economic Development
2. Educational Development
3. International Awareness and Involvement
4. Physical and Mental Health
5. Political Awareness and Involvement

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 03-18-2002 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Summit V: Health and Healing

Why? I am so tired of seeing these young girls (12, 13 year-olds, etc.) on Maury, Montel, and my hometown walking around with their "swolen bellies" as the old folks say. If they're pregnant, they're not having protected sex and they're just running out spreading diseases. They have multiple sex partners, so they don't know who the father is even after two or three blood tests!

Young girls need to understand their body, don't be ashamed, but don't use it a tool to get what they want.

Yes, I'm 'bout it!
Old 03-19-2002, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CrimsonAngel2001 Send a message via Yahoo to CrimsonAngel2001
Political Awareness and Involvement

I think that more people need to be aware of what is going on politically in the United States and get involved and take a stand. There are so many people that complain about the government and politics but don't vote because they believe there voice doesn't count. When someone knows whats going on politically it can really help them understand why certain things are certain ways and if they see a problem with it tose who are politically educated may actually go out and do something to make change.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Educational Development

I say educational development. I have a lot of problems with the education system, but if I had to point out one in particular it would be literacy. As a people, we really do not read. I think many black children may have problems that are ignored. As a result, kids become frustrated, embarassed, and they hate to read. A program targeting young black children (particularly boys) to help with basic phonics would definitely be beneficial.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
I'm going to choose Education and Development, and here are some of my reasons.

I volunteer with the Delta Academy with my local DST alumnae chapter and I am hear to tell you that these young girls really need guidance. The area that the chapter has adopted is a low income area, and I truly love helping out in the area. When we have our meetings some of the girls are just to "flip with the mouth" as my grandmother use to say.

You can really tell that a lot of these girls come from families where they get no attention at home, and the attention that they are getting is not what they should be getting if you know what I'm trying to say. I constantly hear them belittling one another. I had a case the other day where one of the girls wanted to make sure that I didn't have a daughter out in the group before she started to make fun of one little girls "wig" that she had on. Yes she had on a wig and it was a mess. Apparently the girls father cut her hair and messed it up and made her wear this wig. She was laughed at in school all day. Some of the girls said that her hair got caught in the door in school, so you know laughter was all over the room after this.

I like spending time with these girls, to show them that they can survive, and that they do have someone that cares about them and their well being. I wonder if thigns are ok when they missed a class. A lot of them say all the time, why do you care if I dont' show up. I simple state that again I have come to know them, and I worry when they are not there. One little girl asked me "why you care when my mom doesn't even care". I grew up in a close family and I trip when I hear girls talking about how they are left home alone all the time, or that their mother or father (if there is one in the house) doesn't even talk to them at all.

I feel that we have to let our youth know that they do make a difference, and that they will be missed if they are not there. I also feel that they should know that they can grow up and also make a difference in someone's life as well.

Sorry for the long post.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"

Last edited by kiml122; 03-20-2002 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Educational Development

This is a key thrust because without education, all of the other thrusts are just dreams. Education does not just mean earning a degree; education is a lifelong journey that is basic for our survival as individuals and as a people.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Three_Love
Lightbulb Re: Analyzing the 5 POINT THRUSTS of DST

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
1. Of the five point thrusts of Delta Sigma Theta, which do you see as the most critical in our society? Why? What are the strengths of this particular thrust?

PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH

Right now, we have Summit V, which is doing a great job with mental health and depression, but I think Delta MUST focus on PHYSICAL HEALTH. In particular, I think that it is CRITICAL for us to focus on WEIGHT LOSS, EXERCISE, AND HEALTHY EATING HABITS - not just for ourselves, but for our CHILDREN.

Okay, I ain't small - I am overweight and earnestly fighting the battle of the bulge, but at our National Convention in Chicago, I saw some sorors who made me look downright TEENSY WEENSY. WE got some BIG sorors y'all (don't be giggling AKA's, Zetas, and SGRhos - y'all got some big 'uns too). But Delta is just a subset of the Black community - OBESITY IS A MAJOR PROBLEM IN OUR COMMUNITIES!!! We are OVERWEIGHT, our kids are OVERWEIGHT, and we're getting sick with high blood pressure, diabetes, and other obesity-related diseases.

Delta doesn't currently have a program to address this CRITICAL ISSUE (and probably won't ever have one because it's not POLITICALLY CORRECT to call out folks for being FAT). But you know we've GOT to do something before it's too late. We must do something to PRESERVE THE HEALTH of Delta women AND the African American community in general.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Though this is my first post I have an opinion

..."The Target Market News reported that Black buying power increased to $392 BILLION in 1997, up from $367 billion in 1996.
The report revealed the our biggest advances were in the area of personal care items and online services. In fact, Ken Smikle, spokesperson for Target Market News, stated, “There frankly are signs of splurging, spending on items for individual gratification......”

For far to long the research has consistently revealed that we are a consumer oriented culture. Living in New York, I see signs of this all the time. In the city the housing projects which are primarily occupied by african american and hispanics are those in which you see satellites, SUVs, "label worship" and other signs of reckless spending. Now thats not to say that an individual should not buy themselves some nice things, but if one lives in a condition below poverty level (a prerequiste for occupation in a housing project) that is not an option. ECONOMIC EDUCATION is imperative.

I would offer a program directed to the heads of households to help them plan their spending and I would target their children to teach them about finances at their level. I would make sure to cover the basics, family finances, investing and retirement plans. I would like to see levels to the education and later mentoring of new students by successfull former students to model the behavior.

Thank you for the opportunity to share my opinion!
Old 03-20-2002, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to #1 Leading Lady Send a message via Yahoo to #1 Leading Lady
I am choosing EDUCATION and DEVELOPMENT also

I am choosing EDUCATION and DEVELOPMENT because alot of young girls from low-income families tend to repeat family history like if mom/dad didn't go to college and mom/dad don't reiterate going to college they don't know any better, if mom/dad have 4-5 kids with different baby daddies/momma's they tend to do they same thing and when WE step in we help let them know there is a better way. WE show by EXAMPLE and tend to be role models.
Some young girls are only around a "ghetto atmosphere" and WE help develop them into respectable young ladies despite the atmospher again by EXAMPLE and with activities such as tutoring, mentoring and college visits.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Hard Question...Would Have to Go with Educational Development

I believe education has been the basis of my ability to succeed in life, and to also give support to those who come behind me. I mentor three young women in New York, and helping them through school and giving them support academically has changed their lives drastically. The desire to want more out of life through education has kept them away from many pitt falls that sisters seem to face everyday. Self confidence has been raised through their pursuit of high school and collegiate honors. Knowledge of culture, international politics and social issues has been increased through reading, exposure to museums and cultural fairs etc. The basic education on their bodies, sexually transmitted diseases and many other health related issues have given them the power to make smarter decisions about their futures. Educating them on their financial futures, savings, knowledge on the way the market works etc. has allowed them to help their families better manage their money and lives, and to put emphasis on much more tangible qualities "character, leadership, responsibility etc." and not soley money.

So I guess education has been the back bone to support the other Four Important Thrusts in their lives...
Old 03-26-2002, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Lightbulb Political Awareness and Involvement

Politics is my passion. I believe that political empowerment is critical to chaning the status of African-Americans in the US. It's more than voting, it's creating viable candidates who can last longer than one term. It's holding elected and appointed officials accountable. It's fighting for the privileges and rights that people died for, but fighting through, as well as outside, the system.

The strengths are the Delta Days at the Capital, so people can see African-American women lobbying; Forums that strive to educate the community; and having members become politicians themselves.

I would foster a candidate program, much like other non-profit groups do. We would locate strong potential candidates, woo them, train them, help them learn how to fundraise, and get them into the political system. This program would be nonpartisan; each candidate would declare candidacy for whatever party she chose, and we would step away from any partisan leanings in the training. We would have representatives from all parties come to show us why the candidates should align themselves with their respective groups. We could also promote the idea of a new party, with national (and NPHC) support and implications. I could go on and on, but it's really about taking over the country!

Political awareness is extremely important, and it has been since the beginning of the Sorority's history.

Last edited by Salience; 03-26-2002 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

The question is very interesting, but I find it difficult to answer because the thrusts may seem distinct, but proper program planning will inevitably cover more than one thrust - or at least that is the approach my chapter has taken. A single project may be narrow, but chapter programs tend to be broad and encompass more than one thrust. That having been said, I'll approach it from another angle and address economic development because I find it to be extremely critical, but can sometimes be the most difficult to attack on the local level unless the chapter has conceived a long-term vision beyond the current president and her administration.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Educational Development

I am a participant in my chapters Delta Academy and I have been for the past 3 years (started out as a volunteer/prospective).

But these girls need guidance, they need to see that there are other alternatives then the one's presented to them by the other not-so-positive women in the community.

This year alone, a girl started with the program saying she didn't want to go to college, her mom wasn't trying to hit her off with her taxes to apply for fin-aid so she decided to opt out of trying for higher education. A week ago the same girl tells me that the chairperson and myself have helped change her outlook on college, and she has decided to apply to a local school where she can get the feel of campus life and still be close too home (plus, I checked it out and there's a DST chapter there heheheh... ). But making that one young lady, think about her options and where she wants to be in life and giving her the resources I think is all worth the 2 hours a week every week from September to June. OOOOhhhhh I can't wait till June I need a break.. nahmean!!!

But through Delta Academy we also require them to participate in the chapter's public service event, take the to different cultural events. The girls even volunteered at our IDS event.

I often wish that I know of the program or one like it when I was there age. Its like if you have education all other goals can be reached!
Old 10-13-2002, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Political Awareness and Involvement

Quote:
Originally posted by Salience
Politics is my passion. I believe that political empowerment is critical to chaning the status of African-Americans in the US. It's more than voting, it's creating viable candidates who can last longer than one term. It's holding elected and appointed officials accountable. It's fighting for the privileges and rights that people died for, but fighting through, as well as outside, the system.
I have to agree with Salience. I believe political involvement is the most important. Although I believe all of the thrusts are important to our community, I fall on the side of political activism, mainly because of history and because this is where my passion lies. For the African American community, the most effective means of change has been prayer and becoming more politically active. Examples such as CORE, SCLC, and Thurgood Marshall's part in the landmark decision of Brown v. Board of Eduation. One of the things that attracted me to DST is that OUR FOUNDERS realized how important political activism was and did something about it!

It saddens me to see how apathetic our community can be when it comes to voting or just being aware of what's going on politically. Sometimes we can be very reactive as opposed to proactive when things go wrong in our community. We have to do our part to get people elected that represent our issues. When you have political power, you can vote on issues that are vital to our community such as welfare reform, education, vouchers. etc.

When we're not politically involved, our interests are ignored and our voice is not heard.

PS - I know many Sorors are teachers/in education....could that be why so many of you picked education??

VERY GOOD POST!!
Old 10-13-2002, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Political Awareness and Involvement

Quote:
Originally posted by Love_Spell_6

PS - I know many Sorors are teachers/in education....could that be why so many of you picked education??
Although I never stated my personal opinion, I am of the same opinion as Soror McCoyRed in terms of education being the most important because education overlaps the other thrusts. We can EDUCATE folks about Econcomics, International Awareness, Physical and Mental Health and Politics.

I do believe that all of our thursts are beneficial and important but without education we cannot move forward as a people. Without education, we would not be in the sorority. Can I get a yaaaaaay men as I grade these papers.