GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,341
1 members and 1,340 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-20-2002, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

looking younger

okay well as most of you know because i have complained about it so many times..... i apparently look very young for my age. I am 21 and i guess i wouldnt mind it so much if i looked around 18 or so but everyone thinks i look 13.

A couple of days before new years, i was with my family at party city buying decorations for the party we were going to have at our house and i started listening to some 70's music they had on some display. Anyhow, this lady turns around and tells me "yeah thats the kind of music your parents probably listened to when they were your age, how old are you about 12, 13?" so i like "no, im older" "oh really, how old are you" she asks "21" 21?!?!?!?"

it was so embarassing because she was so loud about it everyone heard..... i know it will be a good thing when im OLDER, but for now it kind of sucks!

I also feel that maybe if i looked older, i'd get the attention of more guys. I guess maybe thats why i get more"you are so cute" instead of the "you are so pretty"

anyone else have this problem, or a solution?
Old 01-20-2002, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

My biological sister would really be able to relate to you! I remember once when she was 21 she and I went to Denny's and the hostess gave her a kiddie menu! Boy, she was p***ed! Now she is 28 years old and she looks about 20 so while her peers are complaining about getting old, she's still getting carded and now she doesn't mind looking young at all!
Old 01-21-2002, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes this can be remedied by the way you dress. I find that if you dress more "professional" and less casual-- less people can mistake you as being younger.

But definately, you'll appreciate this when you are older!
Old 01-21-2002, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

See real or fake and you will see I have the same problem as you. I try to always look nice. I don't wear baggy clothes or shirts that say" Boy Scouting" or anything that reads like something a jr high girl would wear(no offense if any of you own these shirts- they are just not me). I am 20 yrs old and look very young. Even my girlfriends make fun of me. I don't feel sexy or womanly and feel like I will always be single due to this. I can never marry a guy who looks young or my poor kids will be really screwed. SO I'm not sure how we can remedy this problem bucutie02.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Most people say I look younger than what I am. At work everyone has told me I look 24 but I'm 29. Just about everyone in my office has told me this and most people in general say I look like I'm in my mid 20s because I have a young looking face. I always get carded and I have no problem with it.

Kevin
Old 01-21-2002, 12:46 AM
UMgirl

bucutie, I understand where you're coming from completely! Im 22 and I still have people thinking Im in middle school or high school. Most people find it shocking that I have graduated college already. However, a few people have said that I look my age.When I went on the interview for the school I sub at, the kids asked if I was a new student. When I taught the 7th and 8th grade, 90% were taller than me and some flirted with me. I even had a 3rd grader who was taller than me.Then at a recent interview for a group home (for kids ages 6-16) position, the staff and kids thought I was a new kid coming into the facilities. Ive been double carded (a bouncer even asked me what HS I went to and what year I graduated, This after he let one of my friends in ahead of me go, the friends behind me, and about 4 other people behind me..sheesh). I was even carded for a scratch off lotto ticket. I know theyre just doing their job, but come on. Solution?.. I just deal with it, like everyone says it'll pay off soon.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
I've been told that I look young too. I'm 22 but when I worked with adolescent boys this past summer and fall they all thought I was around 18. 2 summers ago (I was 20)I was a manager for a local boutique....we had an upset customer come in and ask to speak with the manager or owner. The owner was out so I was the only person in "authority" working. The person did not believe me. She was like, I'm not kidding--I need to make a complaint. She got so pissed and she wouldn't even talk to me. She kept saying she was not going to deal with teenage help and that she would come back when the owner was in. Same summer some ladies were talking to me and they said, "So was it hard for you to get a work permit?" or something like that. And I said.."Why would I need a work permit?" and they answered "Well all kids under 16 need a work permit" I just laughed and said I was 20 and about to be a senior in college. I guess sometimes it's frustrating but all my friends and I just joke about it now. I don't dress "young" either. I like to think of my look as classic but it doesn't seem to help. Makeup doesn't help either...I just look like a teenager trying to look older
Old 01-21-2002, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

It really bothers me when I see celebrities like Destiny's child and they look older than they are. It's not fair. I also think height makes a big difference in the age you are perceived to be. I am only 5'3. I think 5'7- 5'8 is the perfect height.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:56 AM

Just the other day a guy came to my door selling water. At first he wasn't sure if it was my apartment. When I told him that I wasn't interested b/c I just graduated from college and was getting ready to move, he had the craziest look on his face, as if to say, "you've graduated from college...are you old enough?" He asked if it would be o.k. to ask me my age and I said "sure, I'm 24, why?" he gave another crazy look and said, "wow, I thought you were 18!" I thanked him and he was on his way.

I'm flattered by these situations. We're not going to be young forever. Also, not everyone is as fortunate...I know some people who look older than their age.

Embrace it...you're lucky!!!
Old 01-21-2002, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to winnieb
I can relate... I will be turning 28 in April and everyone thinks I am in my early 20's. I still get carded also. I have even had stranges comment on how cute my kids are--and follow it up with "wow you must have been VERY young when you had your first" I usually just smile and respond "I guess-if you consider 24 young".

Generally it is nice to be younger looking--and I am sure the older I get the more I will appreciate it. The only time I have been slightly embarassed by it was a few months ago at a business dinner. We had a dinner meeting at a local resturant--the owner goes over his year plan, etc. Well the meeting is usually pretty boring so all the guys in the office decided to head to the bar before the meeting began--I joined the guys. So here I am only "girl" with 9 guys at the bar--and I get carded when I ordered. I handed over my ID and ordered--the entire time we were in the bar the guys laughed at me for being so young.

Like I said -- one day I am sure I will appreciate it more than I do now---but I still really don't mind.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I think Alphagam1019 hit the nail on the head. If you have a problem with it skillful make-up, dress, and elevator shoes might make a world of difference.

As far as guys not liking younger looking girls, as long as you are on the planet Earth you should never have a problem. Assuming that you look at least puberty age.

If you maintain that youthful appearance into later life you will be truly envied and hated. However, you won't really know until you hit about 25 whether you are likely to age well. I have seen a lot of girls completely lose their good looks by their mid twenties. sometimes even earlier. Sad for them.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Also, its funny how much of age is really appearance.

We had an RA at our school that was in his mid thirties (or close) that must have dated every pretty Freshmen girl that walked through school. He looked like he was 20, he still got carded.

Conversely I know of a guy that was 22 when he graduated and couldn;t get a date on campus. Why? He was over 6'3" with a lined face and preamturely gray hair. Girls thought he was in his 30's and didn't want to date him.

Even where girls learned the real ages of both these people, it didn;'t much matter because their hind brains still judged ages and therefore suitablity of dating by appearance.

This isnt a citicism, its just an observation on the way our perceptual sets work. If a 13 year old looked 23 that 13 year old would be attractive to people in their 20's.

Amazing.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
I'm 32 and no one ever believes me. They always think I'm 26 or 27. And it is GREAT now, but when I was 20 and I'd say "I'm a sophomore"" and they assumed I meant High School, it was very frustrating. And I am TALL (5'9) and have been this tall since 8th grade, so I always thought that would work to my advantage with people thinking I was not 12, but apparently not, lol.

Now it is great though. Nothing like knowing you're fast approaching 35 and still get carded from time to time!

Amy
Old 01-21-2002, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Just dress to look old and when your old dress young and things will be great for you no matter what because people will think you never age and will be the envy of everyone.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

yep. I am on the down side of my 20's and people think I am 21 or 22. I get carded for booze all the time. my favorite game toplay is throw a fit about it and THEn dig out the ID. Just to see the look on their faces. Of course, I always carry 2 pieces of ID because I am afraid they will think my real ID is a fake, because I really look younger. I throw on my abercrombie cap, forget it. I am 18. My age decreases in direct proportional relationship to how low my cap bill goes. Really low, and I am 17. I happily refer to my cap as my fountain of youth.

My father aged very well, he always looked about 15 years younger than he was.