GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,295
0 members and 1,295 guests
No Members online

Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at LSU!

Hello!
I have been lurking on GreekChat for quite some time now and it has been so helpful to me so far! I will be going through recruitment at LSU in August and I am super nervous! I know that it is very competitive and I am from out of state so I don't really know anyone. I only have two confirmed recs right now and they are both for the same chapter! I have been in contact with women from the other sororities but none have let me know if they've sent the recs in yet. This all has me very stressed out and I haven't even begun to get my outfits together! Anyway, I would love any advice about recruitment, especially from LSU women! Thanks so much!
Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancerDee123 View Post
Hello!
I have been lurking on GreekChat for quite some time now and it has been so helpful to me so far! I will be going through recruitment at LSU in August and I am super nervous! I know that it is very competitive and I am from out of state so I don't really know anyone. I only have two confirmed recs right now and they are both for the same chapter! I have been in contact with women from the other sororities but none have let me know if they've sent the recs in yet. This all has me very stressed out and I haven't even begun to get my outfits together! Anyway, I would love any advice about recruitment, especially from LSU women! Thanks so much!
A friendly reminder to the women writing your recs that sorority recruitment begins in August is not out of order. Ask if there is anything else that they might need from you. It's a subtle way of saying, "Get your ass in gear, please, ma'am." Your recs are of utmost importance at LSU. Be very polite. Add a thank you at the end, as well. Do not forget to send a Thank You note to your rec writers at the end! Good Luck, and GEAUX Tigers!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

General Follow-Up Advice

When you have not yet heard from a recommendation letter writer, a job application, etc.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Ask if there is anything else that they might need from you. It's a subtle way of saying, "Get your ass in gear, please, ma'am." Your recs are of utmost importance at LSU. Be very polite. Add a thank you at the end, as well. Do not forget to send a Thank You note to your rec writers at the end!
This is great advice for following up with most anything!

"I am often at my best when things look the worst." -Meb Keflezighi
Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Do this today!!!! My daughter went alum this year so I can tell you 100% that without recs you will not get invited back to most chapters. There are so many girls going through rush that this is always the easiest way to cut during the first round. Added to the fact that you don't know anyone and are from out of state you won't have anyone who is fighting for you to stay.
With recs the out of state and not knowing anyone probably won't matter. There are a couple of chapters that usually go for in state girls but there are plenty of others who don't care about that as much. Keep and open mind and you will do fine.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't forget that Alpha Phi will be colonizing this Fall at LSU. It would be a good idea to get a recommendation for them, in case that becomes an option you choose to pursue.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for the advice! A few days ago I actually sent out an email thanking them again and asking if they needed anything or had any questions for me but no one replied. One of them is an Alpha Phi. Would it be too pushy of me to send another thank you in a week or so?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I would try to find additional women in those groups as backups.

AOII

Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately you can't FORCE people to follow through on their promise and some people are just flakes. I would go back to the drawing board and see if you can't find some more women.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Call on everyone you know....men too, as they have wives, sisters, aunties and moms who might be greek. Church, school, work, social, parents, friends, cousins' friends....everyone is grist for your greek mill at this point. Do not be shy. good practice for rush conversations. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Like we have posted on many other threads, go on FB and post that you need recs for the specific chapters that you are missing. Trust me, if you end up with 4 recs to Pi Phi or 3 to ZTA, it won't be overkill. A sister of mine has a niece from out of town going to LSU as well and found all her recs in a matter of two days with this method. Your confirmed rec writers/mom/aunts, etc may help you with this method as well.

AOII

Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Like we have posted on many other threads, go on FB and post that you need recs for the specific chapters that you are missing. Trust me, if you end up with 4 recs to Pi Phi or 3 to ZTA, it won't be overkill. A sister of mine has a niece from out of town going to LSU as well and found all her recs in a matter of two days with this method. Your confirmed rec writers/mom/aunts, etc may help you with this method as well.
GREAT idea!

Good luck with your rush, love!

ΔΔΔ

$15 Million in 5 Years for St. Jude
Old 07-21-2013, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I will not endorse a reference if I do not personally know the PNM or her family. I am always happy to pass along a PNM's information to a chapter with my name attached, but in these cases, I always leave it up to the chapter to decide if they want to invite the PNM back to the next round of parties.
So, if I get a random "Will you write me a reference" request, I answer "I will be happy to forward your information to AB chapter".
Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I will not endorse a reference if I do not personally know the PNM or her family. I am always happy to pass along a PNM's information to a chapter with my name attached, but in these cases, I always leave it up to the chapter to decide if they want to invite the PNM back to the next round of parties.
So, if I get a random "Will you write me a reference" request, I answer "I will be happy to forward your information to AB chapter".
I don't know how this rains on anyone's parade. We've suggested that she search her contacts for sorority members that would write her recs. All of the methods mentioned would mean that the rec writer knows the PNM or her family personally. No one has suggested she ask random sorority members for recs.

AOII

Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Alumnae have different degrees of comfort when it comes to rec. writing. I have known women who felt comfortable to meet a local, but previously unknown, PNM at Starbucks for an "interview"/visit after which she felt comfortable to write a rec. for the girl. Others are happy to have skype, phone or email conversations with the PNM to get to know her better. So OP, don't give up just because you can't find a member of DEF in your neck of the woods-there are other ways to meet, and other means of communication. I think the Facebook idea might work.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for the advice. I will definitely start looking for more alumnae right away! Does anyone know if a rec from an active at a different school would be accepted?