Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,390
2 members and 1,388 guests
Cookiez17, Sarak24034

Old 12-27-2001, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Is Santa really good for kids?

Hey Everybody,

I was at another forum and the discussion of Santa came up. Do you think it helps children to believe in Santa? I am not so sure because I never believed in him despite several efforts on the part of my folks. If my kids want to believe in Santa, fine, but don't children have enough ugly realities to face without the introduction and eventual removal of Santa from their lives? What do you think?
Old 12-27-2001, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down Santa go away!

I say no on the Santa thing. I just feel it's what other people call "justifible lying" I mean our society goes to great lengths to prove to kids that he's real and then eventually kids find out he's not. what a disappointment.

If I have kids, I will not share "santa" with them. To me, X-mas is not about swapping gifts and all that, it's about celebration of the birth and life of the big J.C. and celebrating our lives and making the most of it. We should celebrate that every day and not "just on Xmas"
Old 12-28-2001, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Is there a Santa? Please!

Yes, there is a Santa Claus!!

I know I am not going to get any positive responses to this but yes I do tell my kids that there is a Santa!

Children today have too much "reality" at their hands. That's just how I see it. I remember when I found out that there was no Santa. I was debating with my Mom and Dad and asking them over and over about why certain "friends" and relatives showed up at midnight and we could hear them and so my Dad just told me flat out that there was no Santa. I was NOT disappointed. I felt good about the fact that I had figured it out!

Today, I still wish I was that kid that believed that you could try your very hardest to be good all the time and see your hearts desires at the foot of a tree on a special magical day that comes once a year!
Old 12-29-2001, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorors and Sisterfriends,

I agree with Soror NinjaPoodle, Jesus is the Reason for the Season, and I give gifts because He gave the greatest gift of all salvation. It has nothing to do with a big fat man in a red suit. My 9 year old niece knew from a very tender age the real meaning of Christmas and her mother, who is also a soror, always tells her the truth about a lot of things that parents tend to not tell their children until they get older.

If I ever have any children I will tell them the truth about Christmas. That's just my 22 cents!

Serioussigma22
Old 12-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Since it's that time f the year again...

I thought I'd bring this one back up. Your thoughts?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

i may... i may not...

well, i may ride the santa thing out... although i never believed in santa... i KNEW it was BETTY who put all that phatness under the tree! (but christmas was off the chain nonetheless!)

however, i'ma have to draw the line somewhere... i mean, after santa, then you gotta play up the tooth fairy... then what's next? the birthday bunny?
"Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning."-Gandhi

Last edited by bluethunder; 12-16-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
This is gonna sound silly, but I've never taught my daughter that there was a Santa. But when she lost a tooth, we did put money under her pillow! She knows there's no tooth fairy, but she knows that when she lost teeth, she'd wake up and cha-ching! Also, whenever someone would ask "Did Santa bring you lots of toys for Christmas?" she would answer yes. I was so scared a few times, because I thought she was going to correct them and say "No! My mommie and daddy brought them!"

I feel ya, Sistahgreek BlueReign about children having too much reality at their hands. These days, it seems like they're growing up much too fast, and they don't have the simple joys and pleasures and carefree attitudes when I was growing up just a few short years ago!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Santa Claus is A-okay in my book.

I want my kids to believe in Santa....I think it's important to believe in "magic" at a young age. It represents innocence and all that.

If a kid doesn't believe in Santa, that's cool -- but don't be obnoxious about debunking Santa or proselytizing to my kids on the school yard.

Disclaimer: I am referring to the kids I have not yet had.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: the sleeper cab of my tractor trailer all over the 48
Send a message via Yahoo to jojapeach
Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
I want my kids to believe in Santa....I think it's important to believe in "magic" at a young age. It represents innocence and all that.
That's exactly how I feel. Kids only have their innocence and youthful awe of things bigger than themselves for so long these days. But it would be irresponsible to let a 13 year old still believe that Santa exists. You don't want a naive adolescent who has to cope with Santa not being real and puberty at the same time.

Now, if your sole focus on Christmas is gifts and getting the kids to act right so they can be on Santa's "Nice" list rather than the "Naughty" lists, then there's a problem. Point Blank: That ain't right! It's a responsibility that children are taught what the Christmas season is really all about. Now, if we could pass that knowledge on throughout the year....
Old 12-16-2004, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Folks,

I would rather keep "Christ" in Christmas and anyway all you have to do is rearrange the Santa and you get Satan! I give gifts because Christ gave the greatest gift of all! He redeemed humankind. All one has to do is accept, believe and confess because it's as easy as A,B, and C.

Serioussigma22
Old 12-16-2004, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeriousSigma22
Folks,

I would rather keep "Christ" in Christmas and anyway all you have to do is rearrange the Santa and you get Satan!
Serious Sigma rearranged is "A, orgies I'm sus."
Old 12-16-2004, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Senuseret,

What?

Check out the dictionary - I standby my statement of re-arrange: to arrange again in a different way! (Webster's New World Dictionary copyright 2003)

S-A-N-T-A = S-A-T-A-N!

Why do folks take issue with the true meaning of Christmas?

Serioussigma22

That's my response and I'm sticking with it.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Senuseret,

What?

Check out the dictionary - I standby my statement of re-arrange: to arrange again in a different way! (Webster's New World Dictionary copyright 2003)

S-A-N-T-A = S-A-T-A-N!

Why do folks take issue with the true meaning of Christmas?

Serioussigma22

That's my response and I'm sticking with it.
And Serious Sigma rearranged is A ORGIES IM SUS.

Why do folks take issue with anagrams?

In fact, I was hoping that your declaration of the super secret satanic consipracy of the word "Santa" was just a joke, since I thought we all knew that "Santa" means "Saint."
Old 12-16-2004, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Now that's just disrepect!

It seems that society always wants to distort the true meaning of Christmas. Not xmas or some dumb fat man that brings presents.
I didn't rearrange your name so don't try to rearrange mine son.

Serioussigma

And your little breakdown is a stretch!

I hope the fat man in the red suit gives you what you really deserve.

In the future don't disrepect my greek chat name because I was just making my opinion known like everyone else about Satan or sorry Santa.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Now that's just disrepect!

It seems that society always wants to distort the true meaning of Christmas. Not xmas or some dumb fat man that brings presents.
I didn't rearrange your name so don't try to rearrange mine son.

Serioussigma

And your little breakdown is a stretch!

I hope the fat man in the red suit gives you what you really deserve.

In the future don't disrepect my greek chat name because I was just making my opinion known like everyone else about Satan or sorry Santa.
I apologize that you feel disrespected. I merely did the exact same thing to your screen name that you did to the name "Santa." Serious Sigma has a specific meaning as does the word "Santa." It means "Saint." It has absolutely no connection to the word Satan. I am quite sure your screen name has no connection to sus orgies.