GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,195
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,199
1 members and 1,198 guests
John

Old 12-17-2001, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile dress Checks

At your school, during rush do you have dress checks, or is the individual leftup to "use her best judgement" and go along with the days theme? Also, what did your chapter (or any other chapter that you remember) wear on the different days of rush, like philanthropy day, skit day, etc.?
Old 12-17-2001, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I think dress checks are important, they help make sure everyone is looking their best for rush. Remember when you went through rush? I know I showed my roomate and everyone else in the corridor the out fits I was considering.

As far as what to have the chapter wear at what round, I think that depends on what other chapters on your campus wear. Also think about what your chapter members would be comfortable in and what works with the theme.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

We had guidlelines and we could choose our outfits but they had to pass an inspection by the rush chair.

On the first day we all have to wear the same t-shirt (that's a panhel. rule). We usually paired it with khaki or demin, which ever looked better with the tee and white, stacked-sole sneakers. We could wear pants, shorts or capris. Most people wore capris or shorts because it's so hot in Oklahoma in August. The rushees also have to all wear the same shirt the first day. They can wear it with whatever they want.

On house tour/philanthropy day we wear something different every year. It is up to the day chair and the rush chair. This year we wore bright colored capris with black tops. We got to chooses the color and the top could be any style as long as it was not long sleeved. We wore black sandals-no flip flops. This was knid of funny because the year before we wore black capris with a bright colored top. So we pretty much just swithced. We have found that it is a little easier to not wear dresses on the house tour since there is a lot of up and down stairs and sitting and standing.

On skit day we wore solid colored dresses. Again we could choose the style and color. It just had to be solid colored. Our skit was Alice in Wonderland so it kind of went along with that. Last year our skit had a wedding theme so we wore something that you would wear to an afternoon wedding. It was very pretty.

On pref we always wear the same white dresses. Some of the houses wear all black.

The Thetas on my campus this year dressed really cute for house tour/philanthropy day. Their philanthropy is CASA and they do an event each year called Theta Rocks the CASA. They have a concert with a couple of popular bands to raise money. They all dressed like "rock stars." In outfits like one-armed shirts and black pants or strapless shirts or shiny tanks. When I first heard that they were doing that I was concerned that it sould come off somewhat trashy but it was really cute. They didn't look like hard core rock stars more like they were going to a mixer. Some of them crimped their hair. It was very cute.

Okay I think I've written long enough. PM me if you have any questions
Old 12-17-2001, 03:34 PM

We do dress checks and I think they're very important. It is important because it checks to make sure that all the girls are wearing the appropriate and proper attire assigned for each day. We check to make sure shorts are not too short and clothes are not too tight.

UCF has different themes. Day one is Go UCF day. Day two is philanthropy day. Day three is video day. Day four is prefs. Day five is bid day.

On the first day, we all wear black capris and a UCF shirt.

On the second day, we wear our jerseys.

On the third day, we wear a bright colored top and black bottoms.

On the fourth day, we wear long black dresses.

On the fifth day, we wear our bid day shirts.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel like both are important. It is important for the members to choose their own clothes so they feel comfortable. It is also important for the outfits to be consistant with each other and the themes. There is always that one person who cannot pick out an appropriate outfit. We all have "that girl."
Old 12-17-2001, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

We had dress checks when I was an active and I was always, always, always one of the people being critiqued! lol

I certainly wouldn't have been considered "Goth" in college, but I liked to wear black pretty much all the time. It was just "my thing", I guess, plus I happen to look damn good in black!

So every year the VP/Membership would come see me and ask what I was planning to wear to the rush parties and I would show her and, of course, everything got the thumbs down. Expect, of course, for my Pref Party dress. In fact, much of the chapter borrowed little black dresses from me for Pref Parties!

It's funny to look back through my scrapbooks and see me decked out in floral print Laura Ashley dresses and pastels because because I NEVER dressed like that outside of rush. But I am a living, breathing example of why dress checks are needed!
Old 12-17-2001, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Whether or not we do checks varies from year to year. It's up to the rush chair to decide. We do "costume checks" for skit night, just to make sure everyone knows what they're wearing (there are a wide variety of costumes). They tell us pretty specifically what to wear on each night, as in, black pants and a nice pastel-colored top (not a t shirt, not red, etc), but the only night we'd do actual checks for is pref night (dress must be black, not too short, no spaghetti straps, no sequins or fancy detail, etc.). I think we're doing dress checks this year, but we didn't do them last year.

We don't really need to do checks for most nights of rush because it seems like we all pretty much have the same "fashion sense." We all know what appropriate black pants are, and we all know that "wear jeans" means boot cut, semi-dark, etc, not tapered ankle acid wash.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
We don't do dress checks anymore because we have no choice in what we wear. We get sized and then the rush chair orders all of our clothes and we have to pay for them. We all wear essentially the same thing, just some people in different colors or some people get assigned pants, some skirts, etc. The shoes are the only thing that are not ordered by the chapter.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
The too-tight clothes thing can be solved...that's why the rush chair orders our clothes. She has you try on the different sizes and if a girl "insists" that she is an 8 and she is really a 14, the rush chair orders the correct size and then says, oops, well this is what you were put down for...I know it sounds bad, but some people think that their body just doesn't change!!!!
Old 12-17-2001, 08:40 PM

Yup, we did dress checks. We were given a list of what to wear - basic guidelines, such as "black dress, skirt and blouse, or pantsuit for pref", rather than "you must all wear exactly the same dress". But our rush chair did go over everything.

I came back as an alum one year to help out my chapter during rush. Alums were told we could wear whatever we wanted - letters, or badge attire with our badges, etc. So I show up in letters, and the rush chair chews me out - "Where's your white t-shirt?" So I bit right back - "You're lucky to have me here at all to help you out, and you know what, you just lost my help" - and walked right out. She never apologized, and that was the last year I helped with rush.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm the VP-M...so dress check is my job. I talk a tough game before hand, but wuss out the day of the event. I'm not tactful, so I don't say anything at all. It comes back to bite me sometimes...

Our first day, we wear jeans and a bright colored shirt......

Second round is t-shirts with something that makes us unique..(The theme is "unique but united"...I wear my t-shirt with my cheering skirt, shoes, and carry poms..heheh)

Third round is philanthropy....for that one we wear khakis and our philanthopy t's....

Fourth round is pref, so everyone is in long black formals, except for me, I wear a long white one
Old 12-18-2001, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Fourth night is our basic red dress.
How did this work out for you? I am helping advise my chapter and the rush chair is tired of white dresses. Every chapter on campus wears either white or black. We have thought about going to red or green. We were afraid that the colors would be different from each other. Did you choose the dress or was it tailor made? Did you have problems with redheads?
Old 12-18-2001, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

LyreLyre,

Green dresses don't sound too appealing(somehow i just can't picture a whole chapter dressed in green), I think red dresses would be unique and pretty. BTW, I am a redhead and red looks awesome on me
Old 12-18-2001, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay my school still has frills rushing so
First round we all have stitched letter shirts that match and a khaki skirt that comes to the knee or above (not high above, just above) with casual sandals.
Second round those in the skits wear appropriate outfits and the rest of us dress alike for the theme. We all dress alike.
Preference we all wore black skirt suits. They all have to be above the knee but not more than two inches higher. If your blazer was open you had to wear either a black or white shell and our badges. The great thing about suits is you can use them for everything and everyone needs one really. We wore black close toed shoes and black hose.
We don't really fret over what to wear cause we all wear the same thing so if you look dumb, well so do all your sisters ")
Old 12-18-2001, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
One of our local chapters uses red preference dresses and it does make an impression. Each girl can pick her own pattern and have it made by whoever. However, the Rush Adviser orders the material so that way it is all the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrelyre

How did this work out for you? I am helping advise my chapter and the rush chair is tired of white dresses. Every chapter on campus wears either white or black. We have thought about going to red or green. We were afraid that the colors would be different from each other. Did you choose the dress or was it tailor made? Did you have problems with redheads?