GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,043
1 members and 1,042 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-14-2001, 11:25 AM
Banned

Going greek

I play soccer. I am wondering will it be too hard to play soccer and go greek at the same time. Lots of my friends are in fraternities, sororities, and coeds. I am interested in joining one.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Most GLO's would work with you if you play sports. Most GLO's like athlete's to join. You would have time to do things, just not everything the GLO'S might do.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Several of my sisters played college sports while managing to be active members of Delta Zeta at the same time. In fact, I remember a couple of them who were not only a member of our sorority but also held an executive board position or chairmanship in the chapter and played sports also.

One of my pledge sisters played on the women's tennis team, was treasurer of our chapter, and also maintained a steady 4.0 GPA throughout college. Talk about someone who had their life together!

Honestly, I think it is all a matter of time management. If you know how to manage your time wisely, you can make room for several different activities during college. I encourage you to get involved in Greek Life and see for yourself how much you can accomplish!
Old 12-14-2001, 12:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Two of my pledge sisters both played soccer. They had time for sorority things, but the chapter also worked with them on everything. And we also used to go to home games and they would have their own cheering section. It was lots of fun and I know they appreciated as much as we loved going to them! You should go greek and find out if its right for you, if it is, you will find a way and so will the organization!
Old 12-14-2001, 12:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
We had sisters on the tennis team, soccer team, Dixie Darlings and Southern Misses (both dance teams: one for football, the other basketball). They were excused/allowed to leave early from any chapter activity that was held during a game or practice. Also, since the tennis team was a NCAA sport at our school (the soccer team is now), all members were required to attend mandatory study hour with tutors. If, a new member of our chapter was required to attend study hours with the team, and those hours were equal or more than the new member hours, they were excused from our study hours.

The Greek System prides themselves in the involvement of their members on campus and in the community. I would think the only time soccer will get in the way of you joining a GLO is if you do not manage your time and priorities appropriately.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

one of my pledge bros is playing tennis for Nebraska right now - and he's been able to do pretty much everything that's been asked of him. He's good about getting to sleep if he has early practice the next morning, even it means he has to leave one of our events early. I think that he has been helped alot by being redshirted this year.

Keep in mind that for frats the most difficult and time consuming part of your membership will be your first semester, once your past that they don't really have that much control over you and you can pick and choose what you go to as far as social events.

I definetly think that it is manageable, and the benefits of going greek are phenomanal. So I say go for it.
Old 12-14-2001, 02:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
My brother is balancing a full work load of 1st year science, membership in Sigma Chi and is on the junior varsity rowing team - it can be tough at times, but he is handling it very well, and his brothers are very understanding and encouraging of all he is doing.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
Smile

My boyfriend is captain of the soccer team at my school and is a very active member of Sigma Phi Epsilon. In fact, he's now on the Executive board. If he can handle it and have fun, anyone can. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2001, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

This is another part of your life that you should not miss out on!

you will find that the Brotherhood is something that becomes Family or there would not be so many Alums on this site!

We all firmly beleive that it it is one of the most important parts of our lives as I do! I Grad. in 1967 and still feel as strong today as I did then! You will learn more in the Greek Life than you do in school book wise! You learn to work with people, and remeber, that is what you will be doing all of your life!

Thank god I learned what I did by doing what I did as a Greek to prepare myself for the real world.

Ask your self, what would homecoming be if not for the Greek Orgs. on your campus. Who is envolved in affairs on your campus, who donates more to campus after the graduate, Well the Answer is The Greeks! Look to see how many imprtant positions are held in the World of Business, Entertainment, Sports, Acadamia, Polotics, Military, and the list goes on!

Now ask yourself if you want to be a member of an Organization like this!

If you see on this site, battleing, we do for our own individual Orgs. but we all pull together in a time of need!

If you want to be part of that then welcome to the world of real people first in college and then into life!

Keep us informed as you are one of us in spirit once you checked and joined this Site!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-14-2001, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

My boyfriend is on the football team (and Division 1, too) and he is also an officer for his fraternity. So, to answer your question, YES, you will be able to balance both! It's all about time management, that's all.

It will be harder when you are pledging, but it shouldn't be impossible.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:35 PM
Banned

Here's the next question. Social vs. Service? Which one has the most variety?

Here's what I have to choose from:
Social-
Alpha Xi Delta-Sporty girls, like me.
Delta Zeta-Girly girls, not like me at all. However, they are Sigma Chi's sister sorority. There is a guy in there who I dig!!!
Delta Phi Epsilon- Combo of AXiD and DZ
Kappa delta-Brainy girls, maybe they can motivate me. ;-)
Theta Phi Alpha-Combo of AXiD and KD

Service-
Gamma Sigma Sigma-Very sweet girls.
Alpha Phi Omega-I don't know much about them. But, there's a rumor that they are co-ed. Hook up time! ;-)
Lambda Psi Delta-Multi-cultural, a chance to open my mind to different cultures.

Last edited by hocnsoc81; 12-16-2001 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

If you want the "typical" sorority experience and are interested in the party aspect, then you probably want to join a social sorority. I don't know if you're aware, but social sororities all do lots of service projects every year. Most will require that each member do a certain number of service hours per semester.

Athletes definitely have a big presence in the greek system. My house has a LOT of varsity athletes in it, and many fraternities are sort of known for the sport that lots of the guys play, like "the lacrosse house" or "the soccer house." Not that ALL members are in that sport, but a lot of the guys on the team usually pick those houses.

You should definitely be able to make time for both. Sorority pledgeship probably won't be super time-consuming, and it's usually over in 2 months or less.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:47 PM
Banned

I already attend fraternity parties. That is not much of a factor. Community service is pretty important to me. I've been an unpaid mentor since I was 18, and before then I participated as a PAL and done other community service. It makes my world go round!
Old 12-17-2001, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

my best friend played soccer and joined a sorority. she had to miss a lot of formals and get togethers as well as chapter meetings. but she didn't mind. the chapter worked with her.

she is glad she did both
Old 12-17-2001, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

hey there
I cheered for my 1st three years, IM not this year, we cheer year round, football, mens and womens bb, and college nationals. Pledging will be the hardest semester, but as many people have said most chapters will work with you. It is hard, but if you really want to you will. Just dont make it a huge point during rush that you have like no time due to your other priority. Good luck