GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,588
4 members and 1,584 guests
chi-o_cat, UVASquirrel, willTic, Zach

Old 08-11-2012, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

21 year old college freshman... any weirdness?

i started elementary school a year late, then spent a year training for a sport and took a year off after that. Will it be weird for me to hang out with other freshman at all? what about dating?

i feel like 3 years age difference is nothing at all, since ive been a few years behind all along i feel more like a 18-19 year old
Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 PM

If she was a 21 year old man, would it be odd if she was dating a 19 year old?
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM

I assumed the "ette" meant female.

Being 21 and still in college =/= being 25 and out of college. I know I preferred to date men who could go to a bar with me, but I knew many many many seniors of both sexes who dated underclassmen - far more than who made a student/nonstudent relationship work.

Now if you're a 21 year old who's already started in a career, that's different.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

There were a few men who had served in the military or taken a few gap years who joined fraternities when I was in school. They acted their age, but were accepted by almost everyone.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a 22 year old college freshman after serving in the military for 4 years.

I was bored out of my MIND my first semester of school. I wasn't living on campus - was living at home with Mom & Dad 22 miles away while I saved up enough money to get my own place closer to campus. I worked a part time job, and I didnt really have any friends at school. "Nontraditonal students" who were in my classes were old enough to be my parents, and the rest of the kids were several years younger than me.

When AXiD colonized the next Spring, I saw the interest group in the student center. They harrassed me for 2 weeks. I finally gave in. I'm so glad I did. Yeah, I was 23 by then, but the rest of my new sisters had ages all over the place. When we first colonized there were actually 2 members who were older than me (they flaked within a year though). The rest of the time I was in school, I hung out with my sisters and went to the fraternity parties. At first, I was really skeptical of the fraternity parties because I KNEW I was going to be an old fogey. Lucky for me, there were guys that I met that were my age, many of them prior military as well, so it worked out for me.

I guess it just depends on your campus, and how you would treat those that may become your friends. I didnt go out of my way to act older than them, and I didnt try to stop them from acting their age either. My sisters are still some of my best friends.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

the thing is, even though i am 21, all of my friends are 18. i started a few years behind since i wasnt born here and have been behind all my life....

anyways, i know TONS of 21 year olds who date 19 year olds.....