GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,147
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,451
1 members and 1,450 guests
amIblue?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Glee insulting a GLO

Sooo I love the show Glee, but in tonight's episode I was extremely upset with Puck saying the phrase "Easy DZ." As a Delta Zeta, it is extremely insulting to me and my organization. It makes our organization look bad nationally, and whether people got the "joke" or not...it still falls on us. I do not want people seeing Delta Zeta as a whole being known as easy. Just throwing that out there!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSuz19 View Post
Sooo I love the show Glee, but in tonight's episode I was extremely upset with Puck saying the phrase "Easy DZ." As a Delta Zeta, it is extremely insulting to me and my organization. It makes our organization look bad nationally, and whether people got the "joke" or not...it still falls on us. I do not want people seeing Delta Zeta as a whole being known as easy. Just throwing that out there!
I'm pretty sure people have been saying "Easy DZ" well before you were even born. Guess what -- DZ's doing just fine.

You can't stop people from saying stuff about your GLO. Do you really think DZ's reputation will hurt because of what some silly little boy said on Glee? I think not.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam View Post
I'm pretty sure people have been saying "Easy DZ" well before you were even born.
I had that thought earlier. Mindlink?

I didn't see the episode so I don't know the context in which it was used, but I have a feeling it wasn't intended to be a direct slam toward Delta Zeta.

Granted, I'm a member of a different organization so I can't speak for members of DZ.
"To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship..."
Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Well... in the scene Puck talks about bringing an entire sorority to a Valentine's day party because "they don't call them the Easy-DZs for nothing"

He then goes on about how he "ploughed through the entire house one room after the other"

Last edited by Tulip86; 02-15-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, the Tri Delta skits on Saturday Night Live could have been taken as really offensive to them since it did make them look like dingy, vapid sorority girls. They chose to take it in the correct context and (I believe) had fun with it. Remember the statement that all press is good press. If they're big, cool, powerful enough to be named in particular, they must really be something, right? That's how you should take this mention of your sorority.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Well, the Tri Delta skits on Saturday Night Live could have been taken as really offensive to them since it did make them look like dingy, vapid sorority girls. They chose to take it in the correct context and (I believe) had fun with it. Remember the statement that all press is good press. If they're big, cool, powerful enough to be named in particular, they must really be something, right? That's how you should take this mention of your sorority.

DubaiSis is right, LSuz. Don't worry about it. Just about every sorority has a "not very nice" nickname and last night just happened to be our turn for a shout out. Besides, the girls were wearing "Lima University" t-shirts and we don't have a chapter there Well, actually, it's a made-up school so that makes sense...

Oh, and let me add that I don't think Nationals is too worried about the EZ DZ trope since they had no problem with Drexel University's chapter being called Epsilon Zeta
Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I can see why the OP would be upset. While I know it has been a saying for years and that there is one for every sorority out there. I am not sure it should be written in to a popular show. It is little degrading especially in the context of the line used on the show last night.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not seeing this as being a big deal. Anyone who isn't Greek probably wouldn't recoginize it as being a slam directed toward Delta Zeta, and anyone who is Greek knows that that's not how it really is.

All the negatives about Greek life are plastered all over the tv, newspapers, magazines, etc. I'm not sure it really matters that they mentioned a particular GLO. In the long run, I don't think it's going to change anyone's opinion, whether they think highly of Greek life or not.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post
Well... in the scene Puck talks about bringing an entire sorority to a Valentine's day party because "they don't call them the Easy-DZs for nothing"

He then goes on about how he "ploughed through the entire house one room after the other"
And of course, any intelligent viewer of Glee considers the source: this is Puck we're talking about, whose comments on matters like this rarely should be taken at face value -- they say more about him than about the girls he's talking about.

(That is, unless he's changed a lot this season -- we've recorded all the episodes so far but haven't watched any yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Anyone who isn't Greek probably wouldn't recoginize it as being a slam directed toward Delta Zeta, and anyone who is Greek knows that that's not how it really is.
Exactly -- I'll bet the typical non-Greek doesn't even put together that DZ = Delta Zeta = an actual international sorority.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it's okay to be offended, but realize that there isn't much you can do about it. Boycott Glee if it makes you feel better! It would make me feel better, because I hate that show.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And of course, any intelligent viewer of Glee considers the source: this is Puck we're talking about, whose comments on matters like this rarely should be taken at face value -- they say more about him than about the girls he's talking about.

(That is, unless he's changed a lot this season -- we've recorded all the episodes so far but haven't watched any yet.)

Exactly -- I'll bet the typical non-Greek doesn't even put together that DZ = Delta Zeta = an actual international sorority.
Puck confused Eggs Benedict and Benedict Arnold, so no, he hasn't changed this season.

I caught it when he said it but didn't really think much of it other than "I wonder what GreekChat will have to say about it".

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Surprisingly, I actually do think this is a big deal.

People have called my fraternity "Gay Phi Gay" instead of APhiA since before I was born, too, and I would still be pretty offended if a fictional character said that on a popular tv show. And while rational people KNOW all DZs aren't easy and all Alpha aren't gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) it still threatens the brand of the organization.

Yet and still, your only recourse as a member is to take the complaint to your national leadership and see if they will approach Glee for an apology of some sort.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post

Ah, alright

Without seeing the episode I figured maybe he was in a confrontation with someone and was like, "Whoa there, easy-deesy!"

Knowing this, I definitely see where OP is coming from.
"To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship..."
Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I haven't seen the show yet. It's on the DVR. From what I've read here, I do kind of think that it isn't that big a deal. Every GLO has multiple insulting takes on their names.

However, I also think that the show could have made the same or a similar joke without actually calling out an actual organization. It's not that hard to come up with another fictional set of letters.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I'm not seeing this as being a big deal. Anyone who isn't Greek probably wouldn't recoginize it as being a slam directed toward Delta Zeta, and anyone who is Greek knows that that's not how it really is.

All the negatives about Greek life are plastered all over the tv, newspapers, magazines, etc. I'm not sure it really matters that they mentioned a particular GLO. In the long run, I don't think it's going to change anyone's opinion, whether they think highly of Greek life or not.
I agree. It wasn't the nicest thing for the writers to slip in there, but unless your letters were displayed inappropriately or they specifically named your org (not just a nick name), I would just let it slide.... there are so many worse things that could have been said or shown.

And again, its Puck. his character motivation is getting with older women