GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,143
0 members and 1,143 guests
No Members online

Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama Rush

I am currently at a Community College in Alabama and plan on attending the U of A in fall of 13. I will be 20 and plan on rushing. Could this hurt my chances of getting a bid? I go to most of the home games and know a lot of people already down there just most of the guys didn't pledge. I know the fraternity chooses you but just want some suggestion on what the upper tier fraternities are. I want to pledge in somewhat of a big house but not just have house dues out the @$$. Please give me some suggestions and if you know how much some of the dues are let me know
Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Nobody here is going to tell you about chapter tiers. As far as the money, maybe you can get that information from the Greek life office at U of A. I know the sororities usually publish costs (dues, initiation fees, live-in costs, etc.), but I don't know if the fraternities make a policy of that.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elballz12 View Post
I am currently at a Community College in Alabama and plan on attending the U of A in fall of 13. I will be 20 and plan on rushing. Could this hurt my chances of getting a bid? I go to most of the home games and know a lot of people already down there just most of the guys didn't pledge. I know the fraternity chooses you but just want some suggestion on what the upper tier fraternities are. I want to pledge in somewhat of a big house but not just have house dues out the @$$. Please give me some suggestions and if you know how much some of the dues are let me know
I think you already know the answer to your own question. If you know a lot of people at Alabama, but just most of them didn't pledge, then you need to be talking to the ones that DID pledge. They are the best people to help you. Since they are the ones you know, those are the chapters that are really your options. If you don't know them well enough to ask them what they pay in dues a semester - then they don't you well enough to want to invite you to move into their house. If you don't know them at all, why would they want to ask you to pledge? So if you don't like your current options, you will have to get on out there and meet some people - but it is a lot less likely to be a real possibility.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I looked on the website and their wasn't anything. I didn't think they would. My friends that are in fraternities and sorties aren't allowed to persuade me where to rush at. It sucks but its apart of the brotherhood
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Lol @ sorties

"Dirty rush" rules don't really apply to fraternities, so I'm not sure where you're getting that information. You get into a fraternity by getting to know the members enough for them to want you to join.

You need to talk to people in real life.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I looked on the website and their wasn't anything. I didn't think they would. My friends that are in fraternities and sorties aren't allowed to persuade me where to rush at. It sucks but its apart of the brotherhood
You have friends who are telling you not to rush their houses?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
IF you ever make it to Bama, pledge the library.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
I think you already know the answer to your own question. If you know a lot of people at Alabama, but just most of them didn't pledge, then you need to be talking to the ones that DID pledge. They are the best people to help you. Since they are the ones you know, those are the chapters that are really your options. If you don't know them well enough to ask them what they pay in dues a semester - then they don't you well enough to want to invite you to move into their house. If you don't know them at all, why would they want to ask you to pledge? So if you don't like your current options, you will have to get on out there and meet some people - but it is a lot less likely to be a real possibility.
The one that did pledge isn't a a very good fraternity. they don't have big parties, not a big house, not my kind of people. The times I have tried to go to the parties with some friends they wouldn't let me in because I didn't go to Bama and wasn't in a fraternity. I thought it was kinda stupid... They just told me that they can't tell me to join the fraternity it has to be my choice
Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The one that did pledge isn't a a very good fraternity. they don't have big parties, not a big house, not my kind of people. The times I have tried to go to the parties with some friends they wouldn't let me in because I didn't go to Bama and wasn't in a fraternity. I thought it was kinda stupid... They just told me that they can't tell me to join the fraternity it has to be my choice

My Best advise to you at this point would be to:

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
IF you ever make it to Bama, pledge the library.
Where IS that "LIKE" button????
Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
They just told me that they can't tell me to join the fraternity it has to be my choice
Translation: They do not want you to join.

If as you've said, this is one of the "lower tier" fraternities, I think your shot at Greek life at Bama is very small.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Not letting you into their party might also have been due to the restrictions of their insurance policy, university regulations, policies and restrictions of their national...you don't know.
Neither do we.
Point is...with fraternities, you can't pledge where they don't know you. Get out there and meet some people.
That is all.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 02-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Seeing 'Elba' in your username combined with 'community college' and 'Alabama' gives away a lot of info you might not want to have in a forum, particularly if you are slamming on someone's fraternity and asking who are the 'top tier' ones. Might not be a good idea...if I can figure this out, so can anyone at Alabama.

2. Perhaps you should check with any male relatives to see if they have any fraternal connection...if not, then look at Alabama's IFC website for more info.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Seeing 'Elba' in your username combined with 'community college' and 'Alabama' gives away a lot of info you might not want to have in a forum
I read it as "El Ballz 12."
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I went to the IFC website and it was very good. One can click on the name of the Fraternity and see a picture of the house and membership etc. They have the names of the President and Rush Chairman with contact info. There are 27 Fraternities listed and I believe all but 2 or 3 have houses. Membership runs from 28 to 150 members so one should be able to find a Fraternity that fits your personality if you and they are so inclined. You can join a large Fraternity with all the positives of this membership or join a small Fraternity with all the positives they offer. Bigger or smaller is not necessarily better. Just different.

I say all this but ultimately they have to want you and you have to want them. It is a 2 way street but both ways must meet in order for it to work There is no guarantee of a bid from a Fraternity or that you will accept a bid if it is given.