Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,309
1 members and 1,308 guests
AOIIalum

Old 12-06-2011, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Importance of Sorority Gift Shirts?

How important do you think giving shirts to Sorority girls is? By shirts, I mean basically a different color scheme of your rush shirt, then gifting them to your bigs (in sororities if your system goes that), girlfriends, and gift them away to girls who show up to your events. I am questioning bringing this topic up for next semester, but I want to be ready to debate it to the very end.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

This completely depends on your campus. It wasn't done at all at mine.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
debate it to the very end.
I have never been that passionate about a shirt lol

Old 12-07-2011, 04:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Didn't NPC release a resolution this year saying that sorority women can't participate in men's rush? I know wearing fraternity rush shirts is forbidden on my campus.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
Didn't NPC release a resolution this year saying that sorority women can't participate in men's rush? I know wearing fraternity rush shirts is forbidden on my campus.
I believe that the NPC Resolution was worded along the lines of "encouraged not to" not that they absolutely can't.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

The rules at my campus is they aren't allowed to wear fraternity letters during rush week.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
How can NPC forbid anyone to wear anything? I just don't get that. I know that last time I was visiting my campus this spring, I saw tons of girls wearing t-shirts from fraternities. Some were event shirts and some were iron on/sewn on letters. If you make a shirt cute enough that a girls wants it, she will wear it.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

We used to LOVE getting fraternity shirts.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me clarify, this isn't just for rush shirts, but also philanthropy shirts, and other event shirts. All specifically a bit different than the male counterparts, but still with printed letters.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:16 PM

Stop wasting your money on shirts and use it to improve your house or donate it to your philanthropy. If a girl doesn't like your fraternity, some crappy t-shirt isn't going to change her mind.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

The shirts also serve recruitment purposes. If people around campus see you letters worn by girls, they gain interest in rushing. Of course they aren't supposed to wear it during rush week, but technically rush never ends or begins.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 PM

Then give her a pin (not your fraternity pin, but those I <3 ABC buttons) or something to stick on her backpack. If girls don't look their best wearing these shirts, and I'm sure they are often roll-out-of-bed wear, what is the point? Will that really attract pledges?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
How can NPC forbid anyone to wear anything? I just don't get that. I know that last time I was visiting my campus this spring, I saw tons of girls wearing t-shirts from fraternities. Some were event shirts and some were iron on/sewn on letters. If you make a shirt cute enough that a girls wants it, she will wear it.
Sorority women can wear shirts from fraternities (like "Tri-Lambda Dream Girl" or a philanthropy shirt) on my campus, just not rush shirts. It's seen as participating in fraternity recruitment.

Since it's a unanimous resolution, arguably it's not simply NPC saying not to do it, it's each sorority's national office. Most of the chapters on my campus are quick to fall in line with what their HQ wants.

AlphaFrog's right though, it's more of a "we strongly recommend" deal.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Am I the only one who sees nothing in that resolution about wearing any type of clothing? They were talking about being hostesses or going to fraternity rush parties (which I don't know where the fun would be in now that they're dry, but that's another thread).

I mean, if we are going to consider wearing something as equalling "participation," all those sisters who blow off events are going to come back and say "you can't fine me. I was wearing letters. That means I was participating."

If your campus wants to do it, that's fine, but I would hardly blame it on this resolution.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Am I the only one who sees nothing in that resolution about wearing any type of clothing? They were talking about being hostesses or going to fraternity rush parties (which I don't know where the fun would be in now that they're dry, but that's another thread).

I mean, if we are going to consider wearing something as equalling "participation," all those sisters who blow off events are going to come back and say "you can't fine me. I was wearing letters. That means I was participating."

If your campus wants to do it, that's fine, but I would hardly blame it on this resolution.
Right, it's pretty clearly a CYA policy to avoid any issues with same-sex organizations. If your local CPH chooses to enact additional rules, fine, but the national orgs just want to be sure that they don't risk their single-sex status.