GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,446
2 members and 1,444 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Getting members out to Chapter (Meeting)

Hello--

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I can't handle going through pages of search when I type in meeting or chapter as it shows up so often on this site.

I recently became an alumnus of my chapter, and they have come to me with numerous problems this year. I was president last year, and all of the sudden there are divides and some apathy that was not there last year...

Largest problem is attendance at Chapter Meeting. We have an issue, 20 guys of 70 showing up to meeting is unacceptable... Our quorum for voting used to be 2/3, but last year we changed that to 51% for everyday motions and 2/3 for bylaw type motions... I had a feeling this would lower our attendance further, but not even I could have thought it would go down to under 1/3.

We don't use online billing and thus fines can be a bit difficult. What are some other(and maybe more constructive) ways to get brothers/sisters out to meeting. Last year if we reached quorum the chapter would buy a round of wings after meeting at a local place near our chapter house, was a cheap solution and it seemed to work....

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Try guaranteeing food at the meetings. Yes, it is bribery, but sometimes, it may be necessary until a culture change is in place.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Figure out why they're not coming to meetings. In all likelihood members do not feel that their needs are being met by the chapter. Meet those needs so they can find value in their membership again.