GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 858
1 members and 857 guests
No Members online

Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

How do I join a sorority that is colonizing this fall at FSU?

Hi!

I recently transferred to Florida State University and I'm going into my junior year. I was thinking about joining a sorority and I found out that a new sorority is being established this year. Alpha Phi, if anyone cares to know. Being an upperclassman I'm thinking that would be the best opportunity for me since they are just starting out and will probably need girls from all class levels...plus, it seems really exciting helping a sorority get it's start! I know since they are new they probably won't participate in the formal recruitment, I understand that colonization is a little different. So does anyone know how I can get involved with them and let them know I'm interested? This is their webpage right now http://greeklife.fsu.edu/alphaphi.html, the colonization calendar says they'll be marketing on campus...but I'm not really sure what that means...so if anyone could help me out at all or knows anything about the colonization process that'd be great!

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 PM

Here's a thread in GC's Alpha Phi forum. The colony apparently has a Facebook page so you can go check that out.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=112794

If you have any questions ask one of the nice Alpha Phis in this thread.

Thread about colony recruitment with links to other colony threads:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=113009

Last edited by 33girl; 07-14-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Typically you can sign up for interviews during the colonization week. Check with the Greek Affairs office at FSU for details.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Keep in mind this is the time to be prepping yourself for the colonization process, a lot like preparing for an interview. What activities have you been involved in that show your ability to work with a team? To lead? To follow? Have an idea of what you can bring to the organization. Doing research on Alpha Phi, having some idea of their organizational values and history is nice (resist the urge to do super research, there is such a thing as too much knowledge ). Read some general recruitment advice threads.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

They website is http://fsualphaphi.blogspot.com/.

The recruitment section of FSU's Panhellenic says that:
Recruitment is a week designed for undergraduate women to visit all 16 sororities.
By the way, Alpha Phi has a house. They're leasing it from another GLO while their own is being planned and built.

I was an upperclassman when I joined Georgia Tech's Iota Mu colony of Alpha Phi, and I didn't find "presenting" what I could bring to the chapter very difficult, but FSU will be a whole 'nother ball game. FSU has a very competitive Greek system and a HUGE female student body. Plus, this will actually be the the return of Alpha Phi to FSU (the Gamma Phi chapter was founded in 1959), so you may have equally-qualified legacies who want to join Alpha Phi as well. Some specific dates:

August 16 - August 20: Formal recruitment
August 16 and 17: Alpha Phi open house
September 10 - September 13: Alpha Phi interviews
September 7, 9, 14, and 16: Alpha Phi colonization recruitment events

Since FSU won't have its own Alpha Phis to conduct recruitment, the marketing and recruitment will most likely be done by Educational Leadership Consultants (recently graduated alumnae from the U.S. and Canada) sent by the international Executive Office and alumnae from the Tallahassee area. One thing that colonies need are upperclassmen who can and will step up to leadership roles immediately. While freshmen will have a year or two to observe and learn what's needed to succeed in Greek life, upperclassmen won't have that opportunity and need to already have leadership skills, time and energy to spare, and willingness to commit from the get-go.

I'm not saying any of this to scare or intimate you; I'm saying this to help you go in with a realistic outlook. Attempting to join a colony will definitely be much easier than trying to join an installed chapter, but you've also got to remember FSU's competitiveness and the sheer size of your recruitment pool. Maybe some GreekChatters with more intimate knowledge of FSU's recruitment can give you some specific tips.

Anyways, I want nothing but the best for the return of Alpha Phi to FSU (obviously!). Good luck and please keep us updated about your rush! I can't wait to "meet" some Seminole Alpha Phis on GreekChat in a few months!

Last edited by GTAlphaPhi; 07-15-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

It's interesting that you say that attempting colony recruitment is easier than participating in recruitment with existing chapters.

I always thought that colony recruitment would be more intimidating since the PNMs participating are specifically looking to join THAT sorority. That, and most of the time, you're doing an INTERVIEW with national officers and consultants. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what would be more difficult though.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't mean to lane swerve into NPC territory, but I think considering her age/year and how competitive the school is, colony recruitment might be the easiest, or rather only opportunity, for her to go greek.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Whether regular recruitment or colony recruitment, I don't think it is a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. My suggestion would be to enroll in formal recruitment, attend all the info. meetings, and go thru formal recruitment. You will get to learn about Alpha Phi as well as the other sororities. You will be giving yourself the best advantage by doing this. You are not obligated to join one of the established sororities-you can drop out of recruitment at any time, and often panhellenic will set a day for the girls who want to try for the colony alone to declare their intentions and withdraw.

Meeting girls at the other chapters will also hone your interview skills.

Colonizations are a rare opportunity for most students, but it is no easier to join a colony than it is an established chapter. While it is true that the sorority colonizing will want members from each class, it should not be assumed that if you are a junior you have no chance to join an existing sorority or that you are a shoe in for a colony.

GTALphaPhi, I just love the Alpha Phi FSU blogspot site! It is so cute and girly and I love the formal dresses the chapter officers are wearing in the photo. Gotta love the late 50's early 60's.

What house are you all renting?

Last edited by FSUZeta; 07-15-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
My suggestion would be to enroll in formal recruitment, attend all the info. meetings, and go thru formal recruitment. You will get to learn about Alpha Phi as well as the other sororities.

Completely agree with this. Typically the colonizing sorority participates in round 1 of formal recruitment and then drops out, conducting colony recruitment soon after formal concludes. During round 1 you will have a chance to meet collegians (from a different Alpha Phi chapter, but still) and hear what they have to say about their experience. If you don't find a fit with an existing chapter, you can continue with colony recruitment after formal has concluded.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I just have one question for you. Your name is "kdlovely". Are you a KD? If you are, then you can NOT join the Alpha Phi colony. If you are not, then why is your name "kdlovely"?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
If you are not, then why is your name "kdlovely"?
Maybe she's riffing off kd lang?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just have one question for you. Your name is "kdlovely". Are you a KD? If you are, then you can NOT join the Alpha Phi colony. If you are not, then why is your name "kdlovely"?
No, I'm not in a sorority already. My initials are kd.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I joined my sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, when it was a colony. Although I am not an Alpha Phi, I thought I'd share the process I went through, just to help give you an idea of what it's like.

During the semester that AXiD colonized, they participated in only the first round of recruitment. I'm not quite sure what it was like because I did not go through formal recruitment that year, but I know that sisters from other schools were there to talk to PNMs.

After formal recruitment for the other sororities was over, there were open events that any PNMs who were interested in the colony could attend. There was an event to give more information about Alpha Xi Delta in general, there was one about the philanthropy, etc. At each event, there were sign in sheets where you could sign in with your name and email to show that you were interested. This also put you on the email list, so that you could receive email updates (for example, we got an email update when we found out where the house was going to be located.)

The way we scheduled interviews was by emailing one of the representatives from the sorority. We got our interview assignments by picking up a card that had our name and interview time at the last open event (if you could not be at that event, they emailed it to you). Then we had interviews with national representative (at least I *THINK* they were all from nationals...). The day after all the interviews were done, we could go to the Panhellenic office and pick up our letter--either one that would invite you to Alpha Xi Delta's preference party, or one that said that thanks for coming out, but that they would not be extending you a bid. (I'm sure it was said way nicer than that, lol)

Then they held a preference party, much like one that you would see during preference round of formal recruitment. The next day we could go to the student union once again to pick up a "sorry" letter or your bid.

Obviously, Alpha Phi's colonization is not going to be run exactly the same way. But from what I have read, there are similarities (such as having events after formal recruitment, having interviews, etc.) I hope this helps in giving you an idea of how colony recruitment works!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It's interesting that you say that attempting colony recruitment is easier than participating in recruitment with existing chapters.

I always thought that colony recruitment would be more intimidating since the PNMs participating are specifically looking to join THAT sorority. That, and most of the time, you're doing an INTERVIEW with national officers and consultants. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what would be more difficult though.
This is very true. Obviously, the only colonizing experience I had was when I joined Alpha Phi at Georgia Tech, whose recruitment is way less intense than FSU, so that probably influenced my statement. Alabama's recent colony had to turn away hundreds of girls and now has one of the largest, if not the largest, Alpha Phi chapter in North America. I bring up Alabama because I think the size of their recruitment pool, competitiveness, and status as a recolonization make it a better comparison to FSU than my alma mater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
I don't mean to lane swerve into NPC territory, but I think considering her age/year and how competitive the school is, colony recruitment might be the easiest, or rather only opportunity, for her to go greek.

Agreed for the most part. While upperclassmen have gotten into houses at competitive schools and while upperclassmen may have been declined by colonies, if pressed, I would say that in general, attempting to join a colony has a higher chance of success than attempting to join an installed chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Whether regular recruitment or colony recruitment, I don't think it is a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. My suggestion would be to enroll in formal recruitment, attend all the info. meetings, and go thru formal recruitment. You will get to learn about Alpha Phi as well as the other sororities. You will be giving yourself the best advantage by doing this. You are not obligated to join one of the established sororities-you can drop out of recruitment at any time, and often panhellenic will set a day for the girls who want to try for the colony alone to declare their intentions and withdraw.

Meeting girls at the other chapters will also hone your interview skills.

Colonizations are a rare opportunity for most students, but it is no easier to join a colony than it is an established chapter. While it is true that the sorority colonizing will want members from each class, it should not be assumed that if you are a junior you have no chance to join an existing sorority or that you are a shoe in for a colony.

GTALphaPhi, I just love the Alpha Phi FSU blogspot site! It is so cute and girly and I love the formal dresses the chapter officers are wearing in the photo. Gotta love the late 50's early 60's.

What house are you all renting?
I extra agree with this! By going through formal recruitment, you may find that you're more interested in another chapter...or it may increase your preference for Alpha Phi. Either way, you'll get a taste of each house and won't have that nagging feeling of "I wonder what ABC or XYZ would have been like."

Quote:
I also wondered about this! I'm glad we got it cleared up.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Does FSU have COB/COR?