GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,207
0 members and 1,207 guests
No Members online

Old 09-05-2009, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Western Michigain University

Is it totally unheard of for a junior to get a bid?

My friend is afraid that they are all big partiers. I've been trying to convince her otherwise but she's just so afraid of that, that she has been hesitant to check out recruitment. I'd love to show her she is wrong.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-05-2009, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I know of WMU, it is not unheard of. I knew some people who are sorority alumnae from there and they have said that recruitment isn't ultra competitive.

I think AGDee is pretty familiar with MI schools like EMU, WMU, etc. so she can chime in on the partying part.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-05-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I know we have someone on here who is an alum from there, I think she's an AChiO but I don't remember 100%.

I didn't think it was unheard of. Thanks

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-06-2009, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter at WMU closed in '00 or '01 (my memory fails me sometimes), while they were in my area of supervision. I don't think it's unheard of for juniors to get bids, although it will be more difficult than for a freshman. I don't think of it as one of the "party schools" in Michigan. (not like Michigan State, Northwood, Ferris, or Central Michigan) The chapters are large enough at Western that I think most women would find a group within any chapter with which they would click. Total was higher there than at Eastern or Central, equal sized state schools with similar admissions criteria. The housing is rented space from the University with larger chapters in fairly big dorm type spaces and smaller chapters in more apartment style buildings. Awesome campus. I was sad that our chapter didn't make it there.

ETA: Our closure was strictly numbers related, NOT risk management related. I never had any risk management issues with our chapter there.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Our chapter at WMU closed in '00 or '01 (my memory fails me sometimes), while they were in my area of supervision. I don't think it's unheard of for juniors to get bids, although it will be more difficult than for a freshman. I don't think of it as one of the "party schools" in Michigan. (not like Michigan State, Northwood, Ferris, or Central Michigan) The chapters are large enough at Western that I think most women would find a group within any chapter with which they would click. Total was higher there than at Eastern or Central, equal sized state schools with similar admissions criteria. The housing is rented space from the University with larger chapters in fairly big dorm type spaces and smaller chapters in more apartment style buildings. Awesome campus. I was sad that our chapter didn't make it there.

ETA: Our closure was strictly numbers related, NOT risk management related. I never had any risk management issues with our chapter there.

Thank you so much for the information! She said she has a few friends who are in sororities but they party a lot and it's why she is worried. I'm trying to remind her that the party girls are usually the loud girls and the ones that are quite and she'd fit better are probably not visible as much. I want her to at least go to the information session!

It's always sad to see a chapter close because of numbers, my own chapter closed because of numbers and I know how difficult it is!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-06-2009, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish I could help you, but it has been years since I have been back to Western. I pledged in 1981! YIKES! It used to be a HUGE party school- they were listed number 1 on playboys list in the late 70's early 80's. It used to not be a competitive school to recruit at. I would encourage your friend to go through and check it out.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont think its impossible for a junior to get a bid, WMU strikes me as less competitive. It might not help, but I dont think it would hurt at all.

As far as partiers, I dont think that should sway her. There are a lot of parties at WMU, but I have rarely heard about anything Greek related!

I would explain to her that yes, Greeks are college kids too, but in the end, across the board I think the Greeks honestly have more going on during the weekend than partying and party less than she thinks. Her friends are only a small percentage of a huge system of varied people.