Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,435
2 members and 1,433 guests
chitownxo, John

Old 07-21-2009, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Local Sorority National Board

Hello All,

Thanks for reading this first off! I am seeing if there is any interest in a national governing board for local sororities. I come from a local and as much as I loved being local I was envious of the support that the NPC 26 have when there is an issue within the chapter or with the university. There is not many places for locals to go to gain educational resources and other materials.

My hopes is to create an organization that supports locals for what they are local..all the while helping the local with their relationship with the university and thriving well beyond the short life span that many locals face.

If you are interested please PM me and I will be glad to talk to you.

Thanks and best wishes! ~Heather
Old 07-21-2009, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylyne View Post
Hello All,

Thanks for reading this first off! I am seeing if there is any interest in a national governing board for local sororities. I come from a local and as much as I loved being local I was envious of the support that the NPC 26 have when there is an issue within the chapter or with the university. There is not many places for locals to go to gain educational resources and other materials.

My hopes is to create an organization that supports locals for what they are local..all the while helping the local with their relationship with the university and thriving well beyond the short life span that many locals face.

If you are interested please PM me and I will be glad to talk to you.

Thanks and best wishes! ~Heather

Slightly swerving, but I thought one of the selling points of a local organization was "no Big Brother to answer to?" I'm not sure how effective a national governing council for local organizations would be. How would organizations be held accountable for not adhering to national guidelines?

Old 07-21-2009, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally I think that the selling point of no big brother/sister is pretty much lame. I used that one until I woke up a realized that not only is there no big sister to answer to but we have no one to help us when we want to learn more and expand our chapter's way of thinking...no sounding board, no advice nothing. As far as adhering to National Guidlines every member sorority would agree to the bylaws prior to membership approval. The goal here is to create an organization that a Greek Life Advisor would want their local's to be apart of because there is some sort of "Big Sister". There are many, many details to this I am really trying to see if there is a huge amount of interest out there before we put a ton of time and effort into it.

From my experiance Greek Life Advisor's don't really like locals and its because they don't really have anywhere to fit them (in my experiance). I am merly trying to help locals have a credible place on their campus as the try and live with Panhellenic.

Last edited by babylyne; 07-21-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Personally I think that the selling point of no big brother/sister is pretty much lame. I used that one until I woke up a realized that not only is there no big sister to answer to but we have no one to help us when we want to learn more and expand our chapter's way of thinking...no sounding board, no advice nothing. As far as adhering to National Guidlines every member sorority would agree to the bylaws prior to membership approval. The goal here is to create an organization that a Greek Life Advisor would want their local's to be apart of because there is some sort of "Big Sister". There are many, many details to this I am really trying to see if there is a huge amount of interest out there before we put a ton of time and effort into it.

From my experiance Greek Life Advisor's don't really like locals and its because they don't really have anywhere to fit them (in my experiance). I am merly trying to help locals have a credible place on their campus as the try and live with Panhellenic.

I'm not trying to discourage you -- just giving you some food for thought

Many of the local groups that I've come in contact with pride themselves on the fact that they have no "higher ups" to answer to, so that's why I brought that up. You'd probably know more about this than I would, though. If you feel there is enough interest, I'd say go for it. It'll be a huge undertaking, and I can't see it being successful on a national level (due to the amount of locals). Perhaps you should consider creating something for your region? For example, Local Governing Board for North Texas or something like that.

Keep in mind, though, that many schools want organizations to belong to councils for insurance purposes. That's another thing you'll want to look into.

Good luck.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 07-21-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-21-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Personally I think that the selling point of no big brother/sister is pretty much lame. I used that one until I woke up a realized that not only is there no big sister to answer to but we have no one to help us when we want to learn more and expand our chapter's way of thinking...no sounding board, no advice nothing.
Where are your alumnae? Aren't you getting support from them? They should be your backup when there are problems with the university or the other groups. As far as a sounding board...you're on it. It's called GC. Or a Facebook group.

If you are looking for a sort of coalition to help you attain insurance at lower rates, that's a different matter.

If you need new ideas, try CampusSpeak. Last I looked, they are not limited to national fraternities and sororities...just whoever has the green to hire them.

ETA: scratch that "ask your alumnae for help" comment.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/se...archid=4763161

Last edited by 33girl; 07-21-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I can see it working if it more like the loss NIC relationship instead of NPC. NIC tends to have less rules imposed on it's members.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

This is not about insurance, and many chapters are to young to have a huge Alumni support network. I was thinking of starting this and remembered that there were lots of locals that posted on here so I thought I would bounce the idea and see if there was interest.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is not about insurance, and many chapters are to young to have a huge Alumni support network. I was thinking of starting this and remembered that there were lots of locals that posted on here so I thought I would bounce the idea and see if there was interest.
If you don't think insurance factors into this, you probably don't need to create a council. It might be better to have a conference or convention for locals. That might serve your needs better.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I am not going to worry about insurance at this point, and honestly no insurance ins't an issue for me. I have access to it so I am not worried..again, I posted this to see if there were any local groups out there interested in a national board that would help address the concerns of the locals out there.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XYZ_E_class
Well for those out there reading this who are members of local organizations, what would you like to see from a Local Sorority (and/or Fraternity) National Board?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everybody reading this, the Local Sorority National Board has formed and if you are interested in offering your talents please contact us at lsnb@ymail.com and let us know where you are located, what you would like to help with and how much experience you have had in Greek Life. If there are any NPC Alumnae that are out there and want to be involved as well please do contact us!

If there are any local sororities out there that are interested in becoming a member please also contact us at lsnb@ymail.com and let us know who you are what campus you are on, if you have more than one location and your position in the chapter.

We are excited to get off the ground and look forward to hearing from you!
In Greek Sisterhood
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

hello people. i am a member of a local sorority and i love it. the selling point that we use is " we can do what we want, when we want, without any back hand." we have been thinking of going national for some time but under our own name. we looked into a national sorority but that wasn't what we wanted. the sad thing about that sorority is that they were started after us, like two or three years, and everything about them is just like us. our founders built us not anticipating us blending with a national. we feel that if we did blend and we could wear our letters it would be like a slap in the face to our founders. we were established in 1995 and we are the only local on campus. we have competition with the other sororities because they don't understand us. i would much rather be in a local sorotity and have the freedom to have real sister then have all these rules and have to buy my friends anyday. i do believe that there could be one national board to govern all of us. since we all started out local then the board would be very different then the already established national board.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey71 View Post
hello people. i am a member of a local sorority and i love it. the selling point that we use is " we can do what we want, when we want, without any back hand." we have been thinking of going national for some time but under our own name. we looked into a national sorority but that wasn't what we wanted. the sad thing about that sorority is that they were started after us, like two or three years, and everything about them is just like us. our founders built us not anticipating us blending with a national. we feel that if we did blend and we could wear our letters it would be like a slap in the face to our founders. we were established in 1995 and we are the only local on campus. we have competition with the other sororities because they don't understand us. i would much rather be in a local sorotity and have the freedom to have real sister then have all these rules and have to buy my friends anyday. i do believe that there could be one national board to govern all of us. since we all started out local then the board would be very different then the already established national board.

If your organization is about something, you should be able to promote it without downing others.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey71 View Post
i would much rather be in a local sorotity and have the freedom to have real sister then have all these rules and have to buy my friends anyday.
That's right -- nobody in a national organization has the freedom to have "real" sisters or brothers; we're all just buying friends.

I take it that membership in your organization is free, since you don't want to buy your friends?

Before you start complaining about how you comepete with the other organizations on your campus because they don't understand you, maybe you should put some effort into understanding them -- effort you clearly haven't put forward so far. Welcome to the two-way street.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I would just like to make it clear that the Local Sorority National Board is not about trashing any NPC/IFC/NPHC or any other organization out there. Many locals are founded on many reasons for their particular campus either a lack of NPC or some other factor. However I believe that when an individual(s) form a local Greek organization and trash others out there that they are defeating their own purpose. I say this from experience as I once made the mistake of trying to explain myself to a campus reporter. I think if you love your organization that should be it! There really is no need to say that a member of any other organization buys their friends. If you look at yourself and your life and really examine it closely, we kinda all buy our friends weither they belong to your organization or are just your friends. Recruitment for that matter is all about selling!! So yes we do buy our friends!! (sorry getting off my soap box sometime this century!)

That is my personal opinion and not the views of the other members of the LSNB. I ask that the LSNB be seen as a local resource and not a place to trash the NPC and say that were better...were not. We are not even different. The NPC has the NPC and locals just dont have any resources collectively and that is what I am trying to put together. I hope that any of my statements made at any time have not offended any other organization out there.

Thanks!

Last edited by babylyne; 09-14-2009 at 03:01 AM.