Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,297
2 members and 1,295 guests
amIblue?, Phrozen Sands

Old 11-08-2008, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Resume Advice

I have a resume questions for my husband....He's transferring to a different school because I got a new job and we had to move to a new area. He was pursuing an associates degree at a junior college, with the intention to move to a 4 year school afterwards to get his bachelors. Well, because of the move, he's transferring straight into a 4 year program at his new school.

On your resume, how do you show academic coursework at a junior college that you didn't graduate from? He was inducted into an honorary society while he was there, so he wants to leave it on his resume. Right now, his education section looks like this:

AS in Business Administration
Georgia Perimeter College, Dunwoody, GA
Expected Graduation: July 2009
GPA: 3.11
• Alpha Beta Gamma International Honor Society for Business

Well, sort of like that. The message board wouldnt format it correctly, but you get the idea. He's no longer graduating from there, so he's not receiving an associates. I was thinking about changing it to something like this, but I dont know if that's appropriate or not....

BS in Accounting
Columbus State University, Columbus, GA
Expected Graduation: May 2011

2007-2008
• Alpha Beta Gamma International Honor Society for Business
Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I think your edits look fine, honestly.

I don't personally put my degree at the top, though. I guess it depends on the overall formatting of the resume.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's misleading to put the degree on there if it hasn't been earned yet. I would do it like this:

Columbus State University, Columbus, GA
2009-Present
Major: Accounting
Expected Bachelor's Degree: May 2011

2007-2008
• Alpha Beta Gamma International Honor Society for Business: May 2011
Old 11-08-2008, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I don't personally put my degree at the top, though. I guess it depends on the overall formatting of the resume.

Oh, it's not. His education section is last, because he has 10 years military experience in the field he's pursuing.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I make a generic plea for people to not rely on spell check to fix their resume?

I am currently looking for an Admin. Assistant, and I got a resume for an "Asministrative Assistant" whose past job duties included "Distributing Male". While I was throughly entertained (and tempted to send her number over to Senusret), she did not get a call for an interview.

Also, when you start sending out resumes PUT YOUR FACEBOOK ON PRIVATE - Ms. XYZ Sorority from ECU, I'm talking to you. And, telling me that you don't carry a purse because your husband carries your ID for you when you go out drinking isn't exactly a deal-breaker, but maybe not the best thing to tell the person who is interviewing you as an opening statement.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Can I make a generic plea for people to not rely on spell check to fix their resume?

I am currently looking for an Admin. Assistant, and I got a resume for an "Asministrative Assistant" whose past job duties included "Distributing Male". While I was throughly entertained (and tempted to send her number over to Senusret), she did not get a call for an interview.

Also, when you start sending out resumes PUT YOUR FACEBOOK ON PRIVATE - Ms. XYZ Sorority from ECU, I'm talking to you. And, telling me that you don't carry a purse because your husband carries your ID for you when you go out drinking isn't exactly a deal-breaker, but maybe not the best thing to tell the person who is interviewing you as an opening statement.

hahahah! Yeah, I've got my facebook on private, and even thought the environment I work in now is really casual and laid back, when my new co-workers started adding me on facebook, I quickly made them limited profile only recipients. You can never be too careful.

Distributing male! Wowwwww.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Resume Advice

I like the BS Accounting with the projected date. At the bottom of the resume under Accomplishments I would include the honorary society piece as a bullet point. Make sure he includes the military service in there as well. There are hundreds of managers in the real world that favor veterans of the Armed Services. Veterans adapt to work environments easy, are good on taking orders, have strong work ethic and are dependable. A lot of these managers are Veterans themselves. There's a great book out there that you can find on Amazon or Yahoo online called "From Navy Blue to Corporate Gray". It gives good resume tips and tactics that your husband can use on relating his military experience with the target job.

Fraternal Regards,

Boodleboy322
Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Sorry for the hijack, but I didn't want to start a new thread with the same title.

I'm working on my resume, and I'm wondering if it's necessary to include job experience that's irrelevant to the field I'm currently applying for. I'm applying for jobs in the clerical/administrative fields, but I've held a couple of F&B jobs (I was a bartender for a while and a server after that) and I just think they're not pertinent experience. Am I right? Or should I include everything? TIA!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:41 PM

Oh, food & beverage. Drrrrrrrr.

If you did cashouts or worked with money at all, yes they're pertinent experience and should be included.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xi_pinkrose Send a message via Yahoo to xi_pinkrose
Not to mention customer service example. Learning to deal with personalities and communication. There is a way of listing it as experience instead of employment. More like life experience instead of job experience.

Heart Sunshine