GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,148
1 members and 1,147 guests
touredit

Old 11-08-2008, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing in the Spring

I'm a sophomore at the University of Denver. I rushed this fall but i didn't get to see all the houses since rush was only three days long (LAME!). So i'm rushing again here in the spring to find a fit. Is there a different mentality to the spring rush than the fall? What do fraternities look for out of a potential member, like in the one-on-one interaction? Do you just think "hey he's a pretty cool guy, i think he deserves a bid?"
Old 11-08-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't speak to your campus specifically, and I am a sorority woman, but my instinct is to just relax and be yourself. Instead of trying to figure out the game, just try to make a friend. Be genuine. They will smell a guy trying too hard a mile away.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

You sound like a gay
Old 11-08-2008, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by magichat View Post
You sound like a gay
What is "a gay"?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
What is "a gay"?
One who's gay... either literally or figuratively.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trliber View Post
I'm a sophomore at the University of Denver. I rushed this fall but i didn't get to see all the houses since rush was only three days long (LAME!). So i'm rushing again here in the spring to find a fit. Is there a different mentality to the spring rush than the fall? What do fraternities look for out of a potential member, like in the one-on-one interaction? Do you just think "hey he's a pretty cool guy, i think he deserves a bid?"
It depends on the campus - on my campus more guys rushed in the Spring anyway, so it didn't make a difference. You know your own campus, at this time, better than anyone. Any advice you'll get on here will probably be too general for your needs.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Spring classes are weak-sauce.

Fall classes own.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
Spring classes are weak-sauce.

Fall classes own.
I echo the sentiment.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-19-2008, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I echo the sentiment.
ok but i don't want to wait that long!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I can't speak to your campus specifically, and I am a sorority woman, but my instinct is to just relax and be yourself. Instead of trying to figure out the game, just try to make a friend. Be genuine. They will smell a guy trying too hard a mile away.
cool. good advice!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Judging from the DU Greek life site, rush shouldn't be very competitive so maybe they don't really care if you're from a Spring class or not.

But, again, judging from the small number of fraternities, you might want to re-evaluate yourself if you didn't get a bid from a school with small Greek life. Just saying.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
Judging from the DU Greek life site, rush shouldn't be very competitive so maybe they don't really care if you're from a Spring class or not.

But, again, judging from the small number of fraternities, you might want to re-evaluate yourself if you didn't get a bid from a school with small Greek life. Just saying.
Ouch! And a facial from the guy from Florida!

Judges ruling?

Count it.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

eh, i wasn't passionate enough about the kappa sigma chapter (no offense to anyone here) to continue the rush process or push myself forward i guess. no regrets that i didn't get a bid. my dad's a teke by the way.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post

Its funny that you say "small Greek life", cause we're the only really active fraternity at our university, fraternities have a long way to go in Canada.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_invisible View Post
Its funny that you say "small Greek life", cause we're the only really active fraternity at our university, fraternities have a long way to go in Canada.
What?