GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,372
5 members and 1,367 guests
Cookiez17, QueenD, UW_dawg, willTic

Old 10-13-2008, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

What happened at Penn State this year?

I see they had 400 bids offered (by 20 different sororities), but I was wondering how some of the individual chapters did this year (ASA?).

From the Penn State Collegian: "The Panhellenic Council (PHC) had 672 women register for recruitment. The 400 offered bids was consistent with previous year's retention rates, though the PHC was hoping for an increase this year, said Emily Cohen, PHC vice president for membership."
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...red_to_re.aspx

The photo accompanying the story showed my favorite sorority....
Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Question

Finally...someone asked the question...I wanted to know the same thing (except for Phi Mu). I've been checking our national website and it doesn't give any information. Although I am in Graduate School-it's not at the University Park...so, I have no clue. If you find out any information, I would appreciate if you would let me know. I think everyone made quota-or at least I hope.

Penn State Pride!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Finally...someone asked the question...I wanted to know the same thing (except for Phi Mu). I've been checking our national website and it doesn't give any information. Although I am in Graduate School-it's not at the University Park...so, I have no clue. If you find out any information, I would appreciate if you would let me know. I think everyone made quota-or at least I hope.

Penn State Pride!
One of my bridesmaids was a PSU Phi Mu! Her mother & aunt were chapter founders.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTamer View Post
I see they had 400 bids offered (by 20 different sororities), but I was wondering how some of the individual chapters did this year (ASA?).

From the Penn State Collegian: "The Panhellenic Council (PHC) had 672 women register for recruitment. The 400 offered bids was consistent with previous year's retention rates, though the PHC was hoping for an increase this year, said Emily Cohen, PHC vice president for membership."
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...red_to_re.aspx
It looks like this thread has a lot more questions than answers, but doesn't a retention rate of only 60% seem low as well? What is the dynamic there?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS View Post
It looks like this thread has a lot more questions than answers, but doesn't a retention rate of only 60% seem low as well? What is the dynamic there?
I think that this might have something to do with the fact that more sophs rush there than at your average big school and they probably know where they want to go going in, and if they don't get it, they drop out.

LT - I can prob find ASA figures but will PM them to you.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Again this year, very little news about PSU here on GC.

738 women registered, but I wonder how retention was? Many sophomores, rush, as 33girl mentioned, and some have already formed their opinions of sororities, and may be uninterested in any group that they don't perceive as being "top tier".

But according to The Collegian freshman are being influenced by stupid websites, and it may be discouraging them from accepting a bid by a bunch of anonymous postings.

Quota was 18, and there are 20 sororities, so I assume at some point only 360 women were left in recruitment..... I was hoping that moving 4 sororities out of the (remote) freshman dorms would have helped even the playing field.