KE spoon on eBay

Just FYI-
YALE UNIVERSITY SKULL AND BONES STERLING SILVER SPOON
Item number: 170269479629
http://cgi.ebay.com/YALE-UNIVERSITY-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

What's with the KE? That's Kappa Epsilon. If you are referring to Kappa Sigm and don't want to spell out the first name, the correct letters abbreviation is KS, not KE.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I had seen it done by your own members, such as the Kappa Sigma chapter at UofMiami "Rush KE" website. Plus, it was the letters used in by the seller in the eBay ad. I hope that answers your question.

Feel free to assume in the future that if I am posting something in the Kappa Sigma section, and I inadvertently write KE instead of KS, that I am referring to Kappa Sigma. In the meantime, I will try to remember to only use the initials KS for Kappa Sigma.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa2 View Post
Just FYI-
YALE UNIVERSITY SKULL AND BONES STERLING SILVER SPOON
Item number: 170269479629
http://cgi.ebay.com/YALE-UNIVERSITY-...QQcmdZViewItem
Love how they say it's Skull and Bones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufield View Post
If you are referring to Kappa Sigm and don't want to spell out the first name, the correct letters abbreviation is KS, not KE.
And the correct full name is Kappa Sigma, not Kappa Sigm.

If you're going to get all over someone else for typing KE instead of KS, at least make sure you're getting it right.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, of course it is Kappa Sigma, not Kappa Sigm. That was an obvious typo that I should have noticed.

kappa2: Yes, unfortunately one will from time to time see Kappa Sigmas who use the initials KE rather than KS, even on their chapter's website. One will also occasionally see Kappa Sigmas refer to themselves as K Sigs, which is totally incorrect. Although I believe that every chapter's pledge training ... oops, new member education .... includes the direction/instruction that a Kappa Sigma should not to refer to himself as a K Sig, that the correct short form is Kappa Sig, one nevertheless does find initiated members who use that incorrect term. In fact, believe one of the posters on this forum uses the handle K Sig Kid. Inexcusable.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Although I believe that every chapter's pledge training ... oops, new member education .... includes the direction/instruction that a Kappa Sigma should not to refer to himself as a K Sig, that the correct short form is Kappa Sig, one nevertheless does find initiated members who use that incorrect term. In fact, believe one of the posters on this forum uses the handle K Sig Kid. Inexcusable.
Hi stufield,
I didn't realize that my choice of screen name was "inexcusable." Does the fact that I've put many hours, both as an undergrad and an alumnus, into the fraternity? Or that I'm ritually proficient? Do any of those counterbalance my horrible mistake of using KSig?

Perhaps not. But, I would respectfully ask that if you have a problem with my screen name, my posting, or anything else about the way I represent Kappa Sigma, that you would do me the courtesy of PMing it to me.

AEKDB

KSigKid
Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, of course it is Kappa Sigma, not Kappa Sigm. That was an obvious typo that I should have noticed.

kappa2: Yes, unfortunately one will from time to time see Kappa Sigmas who use the initials KE rather than KS, even on their chapter's website. One will also occasionally see Kappa Sigmas refer to themselves as K Sigs, which is totally incorrect. Although I believe that every chapter's pledge training ... oops, new member education .... includes the direction/instruction that a Kappa Sigma should not to refer to himself as a K Sig, that the correct short form is Kappa Sig, one nevertheless does find initiated members who use that incorrect term. In fact, believe one of the posters on this forum uses the handle K Sig Kid. Inexcusable.
Sorry to drop in on this convo, but, um.. really?

Inexcusable? Wow, that's kind of ridiculous. You do realize that usernames, many times, are abbreviations? I didn't realize everyone was supposed to use their full, correct org. names for their IDs. I guess I should change mine to AlphaSigmaTauAlumna06. Rather long, but I guess to call myself anything shorter (AST, Alpha Sig Tau, Alpha Sig, Alpha Tau, or any other abbreviations we sometimes use) would not be forgiven.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-09-2008, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In fact, believe one of the posters on this forum uses the handle K Sig Kid. Inexcusable.
Not as inexcusable, IMO, as calling a brother out in public like this.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Sorry to drop in on this convo, but, um.. really?

Inexcusable? Wow, that's kind of ridiculous. You do realize that usernames, many times, are abbreviations? I didn't realize everyone was supposed to use their full, correct org. names for their IDs. I guess I should change mine to AlphaSigmaTauAlumna06. Rather long, but I guess to call myself anything shorter (AST, Alpha Sig Tau, Alpha Sig, Alpha Tau, or any other abbreviations we sometimes use) would not be forgiven.
You guys don't have them or you would have probably gotten the NEVER CALL US SIG CHI lecture from a Sigma Chi at some point. I know I did.

There are certain combos that stick under certain groups' craws, but honestly, usernames are a different story. KappaSig Kid might have been already taken, but apparently Mensa didn't think of that concept.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There are certain combos that stick under certain groups' craws, but honestly, usernames are a different story. KappaSig Kid might have been already taken, but apparently Mensa didn't think of that concept.
And isn't it possilbe that in a username, the K in "KSig" = "Kappa," not "Kay"?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I honestly didn't even think of putting it as "KappaSigKid" as opposed to KSigKid. I registered for the site in 2001, as a sophomore in college, a little less than a year after my initiation. This is the first time anyone has ever told me that my screen name was "inexcusable," and I know that there are Kappa Sigmas who post and view the board who have positions of authority within the fraternity. Why this is an issue, 7 years after I started posting, I don't know.

I feel like I've been a good representative of the fraternity while I've posted on the board; I've tried to help out other brothers, and I've tried to answer appropriate questions, when I have been able to do so. I've never revealed anything I shouldn't reveal, and I've never disrespected the fraternity.

But, again, if there is a serious problem with my screen name, from a Kappa Sigma perspective, I would appreciate a PM to discuss said issues.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Actually, ksigkid was GM during the time that I was GMC for our chapter, so we're both quite cognizant of the Docet's dictum that the 'official' nickname is "Kappa Sig."

However, shorthand or titular references to self are different than espousing an official nickname - I hope you do understand that. Unless your entire garden is planted with lilies of the valley, feel free to keep subjective terms such as "inexcusable" to yourself, and/or bring this sort of thing to PM, and/or punch yourself in the crotch, and/or take it up with IMH, and/or act like a real human being instead of some sort of automaton that lives in a black-and-white world whereas the rest of us see in vibrant TechniColor.

Seriously - this is a total non-issue. I guarantee that no one will think less of Kappa Sigma, internationally or locally, because of screen names that happen to both come from the same college where other houses often use both the official nickname and a shorthand version, and never out of disrespect.

I'm pretty sure ksigkid has done nothing but bring honor to Kappa Sigma on this board (and in real life). If you find anyone who disagrees, let me know - and if you'd like to compare your contribution, feel free.

Last edited by KSig RC; 10-09-2008 at 01:07 PM.