GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,353
0 members and 1,353 guests
No Members online

Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Need computer help - Windows Vista won't connect to Apple Airport Base Station

Help! My roommate is trying to get his laptop connected to the wireless network in the house and it won't connect.

He has an HP laptop running Windows Vista and our wireless network is running on an Apple Extreme Airport Base Station. My other roommates haven't had any problems connecting at all; but this guy does.

His laptop appears to connect to the network; but, it won't further connect to the internet. We tried everything and I googled the internet trying to find helps sites and none of the instructions for Vista match the control panels on his laptop.

Anyone have any ideas?

.....Kelly

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 06-03-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Help! My roommate is trying to get his laptop connected to the wireless network in the house and it won't connect.

He has an HP laptop running Windows Vista and our wireless network is running on an Apple Extreme Airport Base Station. My other roommates haven't had any problems connecting at all; but this guy does.

His laptop appears to connect to the network; but, it won't further connect to the internet. We tried everything and I googled the internet trying to find helps sites and none of the instructions for Vista match the control panels on his laptop.

Anyone have any ideas?

.....Kelly
Have you called you IP help line? I have FIOS and their support line is great.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

No, I haven't called. We have Time Warner Cable and they're usually fairly decent with support; however, it's well past closing time.

I have a Macintosh laptop, two of my guys have laptops with Windows XP, and the new guy has Vista. Nobody else has problems; so, that led me to believe it is a Vista issue and not necessarily the ISP.

His computer connects to the router; but, the internet is "stalled". When this happens to me, I go to my Mac's network control panel and I renew the DHCP lease. Unfortunately, we can't work out where the "DHCP button" is in Vista.

ETA: I've just learned that he can go to his command line and put in ipconfig /renew but I don't know if he'll go for that solution. (He's gone to bed now, so I can't try). I'm going to keep googling for the actual Vista control panel way of doing it.

.....Kelly

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 06-03-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
No, I haven't called. We have Time Warner Cable and they're usually fairly decent with support; however, it's well past closing time.

I have a Macintosh laptop, two of my guys have laptops with Windows XP, and the new guy has Vista. Nobody else has problems; so, that led me to believe it is a Vista issue and not necessarily the ISP.

His computer connects to the router; but, the internet is "stalled". When this happens to me, I go to my Mac's network control panel and I renew the DHCP lease. Unfortunately, we can't work out where the "DHCP button" is in Vista.

ETA: I've just learned that he can go to his command line and put in ipconfig /renew but I don't know if he'll go for that solution. (He's gone to bed now, so I can't try). I'm going to keep googling for the actual Vista control panel way of doing it.

.....Kelly

it's a Vista issue...I recommend first going thru your ISP and then calling Microsoft if all else fails...

If nothing else...he needs to roll back to XP....
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”