Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,137
0 members and 1,137 guests
No Members online

Old 10-12-2007, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Home schooled teen planned a Columbine type shooting and arrested

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- The mother of a 14-year-old boy accused of planning a "Columbine" type event at a high school was arrested Friday morning, county prosecutors say.

The mother of a 14-year-old Pennsylvania boy has been charged with illegally buying him an adult weapon.

1 of 2 She is accused of buying a 9 mm assault rifle for her son several weeks ago at a local gun show, in violation of "straw purchase laws."

A search of the boy's home outside Philadelphia Wednesday turned up a 9 mm rifle with a laser scope and a number of air guns, police said. No ammunition was found for the rifle.

The 14-year-old, who was taken into custody Wednesday night, appeared in juvenile court Friday morning to determine whether the county can continue to hold him in detention while authorities investigate the matter.

The mother is not alleged to have helped plot any attack, Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor said Thursday night.

"I don't see any evidence that leads me to conclude that she knew that this attack was planned or anything of that nature," Castor told "Anderson Cooper 360."

But he said he thinks charges against her are justified.

"I think you have a parent who has fallen down on the job in supervising the child, perhaps indulgent on the child because she knows he has issues," he said before her arrest.

Police also found seven hand grenades, four of them operational, said Joe Lawrence, deputy chief of the Plymouth Township police. Bomb-making equipment and manuals were also found.

Police told CNN the boy's mother bought the rifle for him several weeks ago at a gun show. Lawrence said police are also investigating whether she bought him the black powder used in the grenades.

Plymouth Township police say the youth could face charges that include making terroristic threats, criminal solicitation, weapons possession, and possession and manufacturing of weapons of mass destruction.

If he's found delinquent, he could face long-term detention and counseling. The boy's father could also face criminal charges pending an investigation, police said.

In addition to the weapons, authorities found a hand-painted Nazi flag and a video about the Columbine shootings, District Attorney Bruce Castor said.

"It is my judgment that this individual considered that something to be glorified and was doing so," he said.

Two students opened fire at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, on April 20, 1999. They killed 13 people and wounded 23 others before killing themselves.

School officials said police acted on a tip from a Plymouth Whitemarsh High School student and his father. They said they believe the tip was prompted by Wednesday's shooting at a school in Cleveland, Ohio.

Police say they received the tip at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday and took the youth into custody at his home around 10 p.m. He was "nonchalant" when arrested, Lawrence said.

The grenades were made with plastic casings that authorities believe the boy bought on the Internet, Lawrence said. The operational hand grenades included black powder, BBs and a fuse believed used in fireworks. The boy was making the grenades in his bedroom, Lawrence said.

Police also found 30 weapons that fire BBs and the 9 mm semiautomatic rifle with a magazine that could hold 30 rounds of ammunition.

District Attorney Bruce Castor said officials do not think others were involved.

"We have no information at this point that leads us to think this is other than an isolated individual who was trying to recruit others to help," he said.

"The boy who gave the tip was one who was trying to be recruited," he added. "He was a friend of the boy in the loosest terms."

Plymouth Whitemarsh High School officials said the boy is not a student at the school.

"This was a youth in the community who has not been enrolled in school since spring of 2006," said Dave Sherman, spokesman for the school.

The public high school, in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, has an enrollment of 1,591 students in grades nine through 12. No classes are being canceled because of the incident, school officials said Thursday.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/12/stu...nal/index.html
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

John Gibson comments on shooting

http://mediamatters.org/items/200710110004
Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

wow.....

"I know the shooter was white. I knew it as soon as he shot himself. Hip-hoppers don't do that. They shoot and move on to shoot again."

The irony is....very rare do you really hear of a black person who suicides after a shooting.

You listen to enough comedians, they echo his same sentiment.

Not exactly crazy about HOW he said it...but I understand the point he was trying to make
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 10-14-2007, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

What's going on?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum View Post
What's going on?

chillin, man.

how you doing?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
chillin, man.

how you doing?
Well, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I'm happy to hear it. I'm well, thanks.

I guess I was a little more concerned about the middle and high school kids who want to kill their classmates.

It's a little hard to comprehend for me.

Despite the charges that the mother "helped," I'm not sure what home schooling has to do with this story.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder what kind of curriculum the mother was using to homeschool her kid. What was she thinking?!

This world is getting more sicker and sicker!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum View Post
Well, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I'm happy to hear it. I'm well, thanks.

I guess I was a little more concerned about the middle and high school kids who want to kill their classmates.

It's a little hard to comprehend for me.

Despite the charges that the mother "helped," I'm not sure what home schooling has to do with this story.

For one, why was he being home schooled instead of being in regular school with other students is a question.

Could he not ghet along with his classmates, was he a trouble maker, or did his parents think that homeschooling was better.

What about the social aspects of homeschooling...was he being teased by other kids because of it, was he bullied...or did he suffer some mental problems that kept him from being around other kids....

That is what homeschooling may have to do with this story.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
...or did his parents think that homeschooling was better.
Maybe.

Some parents just don't feel good about our education system.

Some of our friends have home schooled their children with good success. Most went on to college and did very well.

Our kids went to public schools. Of the two who went on to college, one graduated with a 3.965 and the other with a 4.0, so I'm not one to take public education to task, but some parents just aren't comfortable with it for reasons not only academic, but social and beyond.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
For one, why was he being home schooled instead of being in regular school with other students is a question.

Could he not ghet along with his classmates, was he a trouble maker, or did his parents think that homeschooling was better.

What about the social aspects of homeschooling...was he being teased by other kids because of it, was he bullied...or did he suffer some mental problems that kept him from being around other kids....

That is what homeschooling may have to do with this story.
He was a fat kid that was getting picked on and the school didn't do anything about it.

Last edited by madmax; 10-19-2007 at 12:06 PM.