GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,248
3 members and 1,245 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mike Leach Fired from Texas Tech

Effective immediately.

WTF are they thinking?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-30-2009, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm...apparently they believe James. Head Injuries are the medical condition du jour so I guess he gets to be the fall guy.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-30-2009, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignasty View Post
Leach is not a fall guy. He is a douchbag. He was suspened by the school for mistreating a player. He then goes to court and tries to get a court order to bypass the suspension.
He very well may have mistreated him, but it is a little he said/he said and seems a little premature of a final disposition. As for going to court, that's the usual remedy when you want to oppose a judgement against you that you don't agree with, right?! It'll all come out in the wash. If he really did do everything James says he did, then Leach deserves what he got.

AOII

Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Have you ever gone to court when you disagreed with your boss? What was the judgement against Leach? A week off with pay?

Now Leach can go to court to try and get his job back.

You must be a Democrat. If you actually ran a company would you keep and employee that ran to court to overturn your decisions?
I am a Democrat, and I'd keep an employee that I had a multimillion dollar contract with who wins football games and keeps my program in the news. I doubt he'll try to get his job back, he'll just collect the rest of his contract. He'll get a job somewhere else...they always do.

AOII

Old 12-30-2009, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Effective immediately.

WTF are they thinking?
That they're saving $800k for a guy they didn't really like anyway, who isn't exactly a hot commodity anymore in a "what have you done for me lately" profession?

Time to move money back to the MSU side of the line - try to middle it if you can.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
That they're saving $800k for a guy they didn't really like anyway, who isn't exactly a hot commodity anymore in a "what have you done for me lately" profession?
saving money or not it cost them a lot of student and alumni support as well as recruits.
guess who probably won't be going to football games her last semester (even though home games are covered in her tution)
Old 12-31-2009, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNOITSJESS View Post
saving money or not it cost them a lot of student and alumni support as well as recruits.
guess who probably won't be going to football games her last semester (even though home games are covered in her tution)
Suit yourself. The guy's a semi-douche, multiple current players came out in support of the firing today (nicely offsetting the buddy-buddy "in support of.." letters from the weekend), and his "system" seems to have hit a plateau. It looks like last year was the outlier, and the Kliff Kingsbury era is the real ceiling of the program.

If that's what you want to throw your support and (parents') hard-earned dollar behind, I dig it. I just don't know that it's automatically right. I'm pretty sure locking a dude in a shed, regardless of whether he has been an entitled asshole in the past, would cost them recruits too - especially since he literally admitted it, then awkwardly tried to justify it.

This isn't 1952. You can't beat on kids, you can't be openly racist toward players, and you can't "make an example" of a kid by locking him in a closet. The culture has changed.

Last edited by KSig RC; 12-31-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Mike Leach is gonna be tough to replace. he was really innovative when it came to offensive schemes. during his time at Kentucky, he made Tim Couch look Heisman-worthy (he wasn't.) it's fun to watch Leach's offenses fly.

Texas Tech will probably return to losing just about all of their bowl games. i don't see them recruiting the same level of talent either.

you can't lock people in any kind of room, though. he should've just left the door unlocked and told James he was on time-out.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNOITSJESS View Post
jess, what is the story that you and your friends are hearing concerning what really went on?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
jess, what is the story that you and your
friends are hearing concerning what really went on?
since i haven't gone back yet, all i hear if from teh Tech fans on ESPN and my friends randomly texting me that the apocalypse is starting for Tech football.
I do know that the Athletic Director (Myers) wasn't fond of Leach nor was the Guy Bailey the university president. This was what they've been waiting for. I think San Antonio News 11 (idk whats its called I'm in Dallas) did a story on it pretty soon after they found out about the suspension talking about the facilities James was held in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Q_5nYwWLU

I'm not going back for 2 weeks (and I have one friend on the football team... but he is the one that got the football players' twitter pages closed down sooo.... idk how he'll respond.)

Quote:
If that's what you want to throw your support and (parents') hard-earned dollar behind, I dig it. I just don't know that it's automatically right.
Being Indian, my parents don't care if they lose $40 of athletic events in tuition, they would rather I not go and study instead (It's just that being raised off a 5A football team with a great tradition, which ironically ended with the head coach enshrined in a scandal as well, I love football)

Last edited by OHNOITSJESS; 12-31-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This isn't 1952. You can't beat on kids, you can't be openly racist toward players, and you can't "make an example" of a kid by locking him in a closet. The culture has changed.
I just now saw this last part of your comment. How (or who) was he openly racist (to)?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure who was saying it on ESPN last night, but "sources" claim that the administration felt Leach was too difficult to work with.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...leachblack.pdf

Emails between AD Myers, president Bailey, and chancellor Hance, and I assume other board members from various times.
See the first email on page 4, they've been planning this all along (they just didn't plan Crabtree leaving early).

Personally I think its way more about politics then the physical well-being of Adam James. I feel kinda sorry for the James' family because they were the scapegoat Tech was looking for, they probably didn't know what they were getting into.

Tech majorly screwed up.
ETA: Jim Sowell (who seems most adamant against Leach) is Chairman of the Board of Regents for Texas Tech University and Texas Tech University Medical School.

Also, I know Leach isn't perfect. Heck i think he's greedy. But he is quirky and the "A&M and UT rejects " love how he fits in and comes up with new things (ie: Oh, a pirate you say? Ok we'll have our band do a Pirates of the Caribbean marching show for the UT game)

Last edited by OHNOITSJESS; 12-31-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
They did not fire Leach because of the treatment of James. They suspended him for his treatment of James. He was fired because he is a douchbag and he would not comply with the suspension. His first response was to go to court to overturn the suspension.

If you have an employee that runs to court to overturn your decisions are you going to keep them around?
It's obvious your bias in this situation, but realize that there are two sides to this story. The AD and head booster had a hard on for Leach whether deserved or not, and apparently Leach knew it. Look at Leach's decision to contest the suspension in that light. Also, you have a coach who is being told he is suspended when his team is about to play a bowl game. How many big time college coaches do you know of that are meek pussy cats who would sit back and just take it? Not likely. I don't have a bias in this story. I'm not a Texas Tech fan. This whole thing just sounds a little too fishy. My first reaction was, if he locked that guy in the closet, that's hazing, but the rest of the story has been nothing but ridiculous. Sounds like sour grapes on the part of a University who thinks they should be able to buy a cheaper coach!

AOII

Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
They did not fire Leach because of the treatment of James. They suspended him for his treatment of James. He was fired because he is a douchbag and he would not comply with the suspension. His first response was to go to court to overturn the suspension.

If you have an employee that runs to court to overturn your decisions are you going to keep them around?
I never said that they fired him for the James case in itself. It was enough of a reason to suspend him, and after 2 days of investigating they came up with enough cause to fire him? (Conveniently minutes before the court case and a day before they would have to pay the $800K?) It is very suspicious.

Yes Leach was wrong in putting the kid in a shed - if that's what you want to call it - but most media outlets I've read in so far (including the UT-biased Dallas Morning News) state Tech is overreacting. ESPN obviously has their slant to the story, but even with his firing they seem to agree that this was a poor decision.

Last edited by OHNOITSJESS; 12-31-2009 at 04:25 PM.