Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,325
1 members and 1,324 guests
MTSUGURL

Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

How important is family background to you?

Last night, I got into a discussion about this subject with a friend of mine, so I thought it would be a good topic to start a thread on.

When we date people, we date to see if that person is compatible with us or not. Some of us can tell within the 1st five minutes if this is going to be someone I can hang out with, rather it's for friendship, sex, or a serious relationship. But when you date someone, rather it's casual dating or for something more serious, how important is that person's family background to you? Does it really matter?

For me, I don't really think it matters. I've never been seriously involved with a guy(s) who actually has/had a bad family, not because it was my choice, but because those guys were guys I met and took interest in. The family isn't what attracted me to those guys. The guys I've "dated" may have had some family issues, but I never really looked into it because they were only dates, and not guys I wanted to get serious with, so I didn't care. For the guys I wanted something serious with, I still didn't care, because it was the guy I wanted not the family. I mean, if he comes from a good family, that's great, but if he doesn't, then that's fine too. It's not a deal breaker for me.

What is it? Is it a total deal breaker for you? And what would you define as a bad family background? What might be bad for you, may not be for someone else.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 11-19-2008, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh Lord, you're gonna have PB in here raising hell aren't you?

"Family background" is so broad to me. Are we talking family values, social class, all of the above? Help me understand what you mean and I'll give it a spin.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 11-19-2008, 11:56 AM

It's not background per se but values they were brought up with.

For example - I could never see myself with a guy who's been brought up to live on credit, spend lavishly etc. That is completely counter to how I was raised. A person could be poor or rich and still be raised with the "spend more than you have" mindset. I hope I'm making sense.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

In my experience, while there are things that parents do that drive me nuts (like live-in's mom trying to give us a crib or hinting not so subtly that she wants grandkids NOW), but as far as being a deal-breaker, only if his family is full of serial killers and rapists.

The guys I pick, I pick for them. If they don't display the same nutty qualities that their families display, it's pretty much all gravy. If they do behave very similar to their parents (for instance, it would be a deal breaker if live-in had accepted the crib then pressured me to have a baby) I might question why I got into the relationship in the first place. Parents might drive me bonkers, but as long as they're not going to harm me physically I can avoid the touchy subjects.

I've noticed that some of the guys I've dated have had AWESOME families but have been complete jerks. I have been sadder over a breakup because of his family instead of him before.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel like I've get along better with men who grew up in a similar socioeconomic and educational environments. They are used how I feel about various topics: family, career, money, etc, and are more likely to agree with me. The last time I dated someone with a very different background, it didn't go very well (of course, he was jacked-up independent of that, but the background differences accentuated some stuff).

As for family involvement... my family is low-key and uninvolved (we all live far from each other), and I would get weirded out by more involved families. I would def spar with the woman who wanted to give me a crib to spurr on childbearing! Of course, I'm going to get married old-ish, so I'm hoping the future in-law has more sense than to mess with a 30+ y.o.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:54 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by XOMichelle View Post
I feel like I've get along better with men who grew up in a similar socioeconomic and educational environments.
i totally agree...there are several rule breakers for me.

1. mamas boy...do i really need to go there lol!
2. grew up completely spoiled and doesnt "respect" money
3. nosy azz family. why do my S.O's aunts all have my phone number??? at first i was upset, but they never call so its ok. but if they did???
4. doesnt attend ANY kind of church. we need to both believe in Jesus, the rest can be dealt with over time. i dont have the type of religion where one of us needs to convert so that is a good starting point.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOMichelle View Post
As for family involvement... my family is low-key and uninvolved (we all live far from each other), and I would get weirded out by more involved families. I would def spar with the woman who wanted to give me a crib to spurr on childbearing! Of course, I'm going to get married old-ish, so I'm hoping the future in-law has more sense than to mess with a 30+ y.o.
I've never seen a boyfriend's parents more than this one - probably because we only live 45 minutes away. We see at least one of my boyfriend's family members almost every week. I'm 24, we're not married, we're just starting this living together thing. The woman is baby crazy!

I'm so glad my boyfriend agrees with me on the child/marriage issue, though - We are planning on it but not until we're financially stable enough to support that kind of life! Plus, he said, and this is a direct quote: "If you got pregnant we'd NEVER get rid of my mom!"

Part of me thinks she wants to live out her own life through us (his parents divorced a couple of years ago). I have a feeling that if and when we get married and have kids, the pressure would be on to have a girl, specifically, because she had two boys and always talks about how she wished they'd had a girl, too, so she'd have someone to girltalk with. Girltalk with her makes me extremely uncomfortable.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post
i totally agree...there are several rule breakers for me.

1. mamas boy...do i really need to go there lol!
2. grew up completely spoiled and doesnt "respect" money
3. nosy azz family. why do my S.O's aunts all have my phone number??? at first i was upset, but they never call so its ok. but if they did???
4. doesnt attend ANY kind of church. we need to both believe in Jesus, the rest can be dealt with over time. i dont have the type of religion where one of us needs to convert so that is a good starting point.
How can you say he won't have to convert if you have to both believe in Jesus?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:43 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
i mean as far as judaism or catholicism where sometimes one of us would have to convert to the others denomination...actually my s.o. is baptist and i am church of christ so the beliefs are similar...as long as one of us isnt something where Jesus isnt mentioned then we can work from there.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure if this falls under "background" so much but... it really is true, you marry a guy, you marry his family. Trust me, I found this out the hard way. No matter how many times he tells you it's your (as in you and him) life, if his parents are butting in before the wedding, the I dos won't change anything.

And sometimes its not that obvious... he may say he doesn't agree with his parents or he doesn't want them running his life, but his actions may prove differently.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i mean as far as judaism or catholicism where sometimes one of us would have to convert to the others denomination...actually my s.o. is baptist and i am church of christ so the beliefs are similar...as long as one of us isnt something where Jesus isnt mentioned then we can work from there.
oh okay, thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It's not background per se but values they were brought up with.

Agreed. If a person has been brought up with certain values that are the OPPOSITE of mine, it can be a deal breaker for me. The family itself isn't the issue.

I do have an issue with "nosy moms" who like to be all in their kids business though

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Pssst. Jesus is mentioned in Catholism. A lot. Prayed to, even.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Certain values matter for me. Is he honorable/trustworthy? He needs to know the general right from wrong like lying and theft is bad. He needs to not have debt or live on credit. Religious beliefs are a touchy subject because mine tend to fluctuate quite a bit.

I have never had a family that I have disliked before this one. I mean they drive me crazy. Luckily it's a long flight, but if his older brother doesn't call twice a day (minimum it is usually three or four), its a good day. The worst moment yet is when the mother and I had a two hour talk (I stayed at their house for a few days and the boyfriend was at work) about how her four conceptions, pregnancies and c-sections. I wanted to throw up. If she was trying to make sure we waited to have kids, she went the right way.

P.S. MysticCat, you make me laugh. "I believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ the only son of the father..." Nicene Creed. It has been said at every Mass I have ever been to...
Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Oh Lord, you're gonna have PB in here raising hell aren't you?

"Family background" is so broad to me. Are we talking family values, social class, all of the above? Help me understand what you mean and I'll give it a spin.
CG, it's hard for me to say, because I look at the guy not his family, but I guess I would mean like, pretty much everything. For example, if he was a great guy, but some members of his family were in jail, or on drugs, or maybe he was abused. I dunno, things like that, or pretty much some of the things you've listed too. Whatever is important to you.

PrettyBoy is already a given. I wouldn't even ask, it's a deal breaker for him. For him, she's gotta come from a "Royal Family" and speak the queen's English.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024