GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,279
4 members and 1,275 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

My NPHC Journey

*Disclaimer* This story will not be complete for many months. I am currently going through the process so I don't know how it will turn out. One thing that I do know for certain is that there will be a break in the story due to summer vacation.

About me- I'm currently a junior at a university in the Northeast. My school doesn't have GLO's so I'm attending the events of a city wide chapter. I'm not going to reveal my university or the sorority because I want to be completely honest. I've had almost perfect attendance (minus 1) at their events for the past six months. Despite this I've only been to 7 or 8 events because they don't have events very often.

General observations. Like I said before, I'm going to be very blunt. I don't intend to come across as catty/gossipy but I'm trying to observe everything with a critical eye.

The PNM's:

Kaede- We're friends and she usually drives me to the events. She's nice but she has a tendency to dominate the conversation. She's one of those people who always has to bring the topic of conversation back to some aspect of her life. However, I don't think it's intentional; she's just very chatty/opinionated. She never drives me home because she always bolts after the events finish. No joke; the speaker the other night was thanking everyone for coming and Kaede already had her jacket on and was angled towards the door. At the last event she loudly exclaimed that, "staying after and talking at these things is [was] pointless because you don't have to." She then stormed out shouting about how many exams she had to study for. *cue eyebrow raise*

Narcissa- I don't know her real name but this one seems fitting. I honestly don't think I've ever met anyone as conceited as her. She ALWAYS says more than what is asked. i.e. if someone said "describe yourself in three words." She would say "I'm ambitious because I started a program at my school my sophmore year. It was called blah blah blah and we did blah blah blah. I really felt that my school had a need for a group like this because it was obvious that we were lacking in this area blah blah blah. I am also confident because. . . ." <That was an actual question and answer of hers from the other night. She also manages to put other people down while complimenting herself. i.e. we were talking about majors and one PNM said that she was a Psychology major. Narcissa then said "Ohh, that sounds like a fun major. I'm so OCD that I needed a major that was guaranteed to you know, actually lead somewhere. That's why I'm pre-med with a concentration in cardiology."

The Members:

Naomi- I've known her since freshman year also. Her reputation on campus isn't so great. She's known to be opportunistic (in a bad way) and superficial. Judging from our interactions over the past three years. . . I don't disagree with this. However, she is extremely passionate about the things that matter to her. We have the same major and sometimes when I hear her talk about it I get goosebumps. She is also very passionate about her sorority and the bonds that they have.

Liz- She's the president. She seems to be the most genuine out of all the girls in the chapter. She's extremely soft spoken and shy but she makes an effort to talk to most of the PNM's. Also I feel like she's actually listening when we speak.

The members overall- The girls tend to be very cliquey. It's hard to mingle after events when they're all clustered together laughing at an inside joke. I understand that this is the first time many of them are going through this process from the other side, but it can be somewhat discouraging. Despite this, I don't sprint out of the events (like Kaede). I typically hang out for an additional 10-15 minutes chatting with the other girls.

They have a tea in an hour so I'll be back later tonight with an update.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Azaleas View Post
*Disclaimer* This story will not be complete for many months. I am currently going through the process so I don't know how it will turn out. One thing that I do know for certain is that there will be a break in the story due to summer vacation.

About me- I'm currently a junior at a university in the Northeast. My school doesn't have GLO's so I'm attending the events of a city wide chapter. I'm not going to reveal my university or the sorority because I want to be completely honest. I've had almost perfect attendance (minus 1) at their events for the past six months. Despite this I've only been to 7 or 8 events because they don't have events very often.

General observations. Like I said before, I'm going to be very blunt. I don't intend to come across as catty/gossipy but I'm trying to observe everything with a critical eye.

The PNM's:

Kaede- We're friends and she usually drives me to the events. She's nice but she has a tendency to dominate the conversation. She's one of those people who always has to bring the topic of conversation back to some aspect of her life. However, I don't think it's intentional; she's just very chatty/opinionated. She never drives me home because she always bolts after the events finish. No joke; the speaker the other night was thanking everyone for coming and Kaede already had her jacket on and was angled towards the door. At the last event she loudly exclaimed that, "staying after and talking at these things is [was] pointless because you don't have to." She then stormed out shouting about how many exams she had to study for. *cue eyebrow raise*

Narcissa- I don't know her real name but this one seems fitting. I honestly don't think I've ever met anyone as conceited as her. She ALWAYS says more than what is asked. i.e. if someone said "describe yourself in three words." She would say "I'm ambitious because I started a program at my school my sophmore year. It was called blah blah blah and we did blah blah blah. I really felt that my school had a need for a group like this because it was obvious that we were lacking in this area blah blah blah. I am also confident because. . . ." <That was an actual question and answer of hers from the other night. She also manages to put other people down while complimenting herself. i.e. we were talking about majors and one PNM said that she was a Psychology major. Narcissa then said "Ohh, that sounds like a fun major. I'm so OCD that I needed a major that was guaranteed to you know, actually lead somewhere. That's why I'm pre-med with a concentration in cardiology."

The Members:

Naomi- I've known her since freshman year also. Her reputation on campus isn't so great. She's known to be opportunistic (in a bad way) and superficial. Judging from our interactions over the past three years. . . I don't disagree with this. However, she is extremely passionate about the things that matter to her. We have the same major and sometimes when I hear her talk about it I get goosebumps. She is also very passionate about her sorority and the bonds that they have.

Liz- She's the president. She seems to be the most genuine out of all the girls in the chapter. She's extremely soft spoken and shy but she makes an effort to talk to most of the PNM's. Also I feel like she's actually listening when we speak.

The members overall- The girls tend to be very cliquey. It's hard to mingle after events when they're all clustered together laughing at an inside joke. I understand that this is the first time many of them are going through this process from the other side, but it can be somewhat discouraging. Despite this, I don't sprint out of the events (like Kaede). I typically hang out for an additional 10-15 minutes chatting with the other girls.

I get the feeling that even if you leave out your university or sorority information THEY WILL FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it too early to call troll?

This just has too much of a Sweet Valley High feel to it.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Shade-throwing veiled as a rush story?

How cute.

Well good thing you didn't use a lot of detail or else someone from your school might figure out who you are.

Oh wait.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Azaleas View Post

The PNM's:

The Members:

I already know what organization your are talking about. Won't take long for members of that organization to also know what organization you are talking about, put two and two together (which orgs are currently bringing a citywide chapter in) and find you. I'm not saying that to scare you, but tread carefully lest your next post is:

"I posted on GC and this person, let's call him AzulFlame called me out and it got back to the others and I'm no longer on line."

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
AzulFlame
I can't...

Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
I already know what organization your are talking about.
Damn, you're good!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

This is the dumbest version of a recruitment story that I've read. There's a reason why recruitment stories are not done like this.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Damn, you're good!
LOL.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Well damn, this lasted a long time. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

The OP can continue, it just doesn't make any sense.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

While I would never discredit someone's experience, this somehow reminds me of this:

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 04-26-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Damn, you're good!
Actually its your fault that I was able to figure it out. You had me looking up Xi and Omicron chapters.

In doing that you learn alot about other orgs, particularly citywide chapters.

Then her second mistake was her trying to "Keep it real"

The problem is she kept it too real and gave away too much information.

Her description alone of the members and the people that were interested helped me kick out some orgs and leave the others.

Her third mistake was the fact that she doesn't realize we may live in one area, but are familiar with other areas because of people we went to school with moving there.

I know a lot about the Northeast orgs well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 04-26-2011, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

MAKE IT STOP.

I think I know where this is too BluPhire.

Glad to know that we've adopted NPCs recruitment terminology. Shout out to the NPHC PNMs!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

A Northeast citywide chapter that is having a tea this evening. Narrowed down.