GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,647
0 members and 1,647 guests
No Members online

Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

WSU Sigma Nu Charter Revoked (Hazing)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 10, 2007
SIGMA NU FRATERNITY REVOKES CHARTER OF CHAPTER
AT WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY
Lexington, Va. Sigma Nu Fraternity, Inc. has revoked the charter of its Delta Iota Chapter at Washington State University. According to Executive Director Brad Beacham, the decision to revoke the Chapter's charter, made by the Fraternity's High Council (board of directors), follows confirmation of violations of the Fraternity's laws, policies and principles primarily related to the misuse of alcohol, as well as acts of hazing.
"We deeply regret the loss of any Chapter, but are especially saddened by the loss of this historic 97-year-old institution. However, the Fraternity remains resolute when responding to misconduct that defies our most basic values and principles," said John R. Pitts, the Fraternity's Regent (international president) and chairman of the High Council.
"We were also disturbed that images related to these violations were posted by Chapter members on Internet web sites such as MySpace and Facebook," said Pitts. "The glorification of conduct like this is very concerning and simply not acceptable in our Honor Fraternity."
In a related action based on the same misconduct, the conduct board of Washington State University denied recognition of the Chapter for a three-year period and recommended that the Fraternity revoke the charter.
The Fraternity is confident that the Delta Iota Chapter will be re-established in the near future and will once again offer a positive experience reflective of Sigma Nu's mission to develop ethical leaders. "We will continue our discussions with University officials and alumni leaders to plan for that future," said Beacham.
Headquartered in Lexington, Va., Sigma Nu Fraternity was founded in 1869 at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington and currently has more than 180 active chapters and colonies on college campuses throughout North America.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

I don't really have any insight into this, but apparently, pictures were posted on someone's Myspace/Facebook account. Pictures can be interpreted in a lot of ways.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Normally, to get a charter revoked, they'd pretty much have to be pretty cut-and-dry pictures.

And if you're dumb enough to put hazing pics on Myspace/Facebook, whether they're true or a joke, you don't deserve a charter.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

This is really pretty bad. They just finished a new house/huge rennovation in '02. There must be hundreds of thousands if not millions in debt from that. They were one of the better organizations on campus, a recipient of The Rock award which went to our top 5 or so chapters, top in grades on campus.

This is very unfortunate. We've lost several of our best chapters in recent months due to hazing violations.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
This is really pretty bad. They just finished a new house/huge rennovation in '02. There must be hundreds of thousands if not millions in debt from that. They were one of the better organizations on campus, a recipient of The Rock award which went to our top 5 or so chapters, top in grades on campus.

This is very unfortunate. We've lost several of our best chapters in recent months due to hazing violations.
I always heard interesting stories about what prompted the house renovation over there. The UI chapter recently finished their house upgrade and it is just lovely.

I'm also a bit about people and what they put out on the intarweb. I don't think I am *that* old, but when I do dumb stuff it doesn't usually cross my mind to document it, and if it is, there is no way it is going public. Sadly I think it is a generational thing, and I'm going to soon be complaining about loud music, kids in my yard, and sitting on in a rocking chair with a shot gun.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I'm also a bit about people and what they put out on the intarweb. I don't think I am *that* old, but when I do dumb stuff it doesn't usually cross my mind to document it, and if it is, there is no way it is going public. Sadly I think it is a generational thing, and I'm going to soon be complaining about loud music, kids in my yard, and sitting on in a rocking chair with a shot gun.
I don't think it's generational. I'm 24 and I agree with you. But then, I think I got a visit from the common sense fairy at birth...she seems to have been skipping over more and more people as of late.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuHX766
Yeah, as a recently legal 21 year old, I can tell you my friends and I did stupid stuff. Hell, sometimes, we took pictures... but I'll be damned if I'm going to let the pictures get on the net.

This is really sad news about WSU... any idea what went down? That chapter's been around since 1910. It's a shame to see one of our Rock Chapters go.
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 05-24-2007, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Kevin I am sorry and it is sad to hear!

The real world is out there and they have to learn! The problem is it hurts all of us as you well know!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Normally, to get a charter revoked, they'd pretty much have to be pretty cut-and-dry pictures.
I have to disagree with this.

I haven't seen the pictures in question, but in the case of any chapter closing (whether it be hazing, low numbers, other repeated violations), I find it hard to believe that an HQ would just yank a charter without doing a full investigation.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post

I haven't seen the pictures in question, but in the case of any chapter closing (whether it be hazing, low numbers, other repeated violations), I find it hard to believe that an HQ would just yank a charter without doing a full investigation.
Especially not of a chapter such as this one. HUGE expensive remodel just a few years back... a fine chapter all around.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Especially not of a chapter such as this one. HUGE expensive remodel just a few years back... a fine chapter all around.
I just took a look at their chapter website and was going to come back and add that.

It's definitely hard to see any chapter of your organization close, especially one of your oldest and one that's been around for a very, very long time.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post

What I meant is that I doubt that any HQ would pull a charter over pics that were up for interpretation, as Kevin implied in his first post. I don't know how you would define "up for interpretation" though. Someone underage with a solo cup that also has vodka in the pic...that I guess could be interpreted different ways. Someone's red, bloody ass and a paddle in a pic, however, leaves little for interpretation - Even as a "joke" with fake blood, etc would be inappropriate for someone to post. I'm not saying either of these scenarios were present in this situation. I'm just saying that one warrents more action than the other.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What I meant is that I doubt that any HQ would pull a charter over pics that were up for interpretation, as Kevin implied in his first post. I don't know how you would define "up for interpretation" though. Someone underage with a solo cup that also has vodka in the pic...that I guess could be interpreted different ways. Someone's red, bloody ass and a paddle in a pic, however, leaves little for interpretation - Even as a "joke" with fake blood, etc would be inappropriate for someone to post. I'm not saying either of these scenarios were present in this situation. I'm just saying that one warrents more action than the other.
Here's the thing though -- there is no possible way a picture can confirm what sort of liquid is in a cup. Could be kool aid.

As to the bloody ass/paddle, yes, it could be staged for shock value. College students have done stranger things.

I'm sure there was more.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is really pretty bad. They just finished a new house/huge renovation in '02. There must be hundreds of thousands if not millions in debt from that.
Ideally, there might be an un-housed fraternity or sorority on campus that could rent the house until y'all come back.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Bottom line is that in and of their own selves, pictures might not be sufficient to close a chapter. However, they can be more than sufficient to warrant an investigation by HQ. In other words, pictures can often be "the smoke" when it comes to the saying: "Where there is smoke, there is fire."