Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,209
3 members and 1,206 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 PM

Random question

Hi ladies:

I was looking at the big recruitment thread and noticed several places in Iowa (they looked like cities not schools) listed as "associate chapter." They all are now closed. What were these??
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

I saw those awhile back. Seems like those chapters were all really old, like over 100 years? Maybe that's how groups became colonies back then, especially if the school wasn't very big.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Carnation and 33girl .. I know this is a lane swerve ... but I seem to recall reading that originally Pi Beta Phi when still I. C. Sorosis had community chapters, much like P.E.O. does today. Where P.E.O. shut down its college chapters and went community, I. C. Sorosis closed its community chapters and went collegiate.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

From The History of Phi Beta Phi Fraternity, 1915
Quote:
In 1881, however, with the chartering of Nu Chapter of I. C., composed entirely of young ladies of the town of Clarinda, Iowa, mostly school teachers and prominent women of literary tastes, a precedent was established in the Sorosis, which was quickly followed through the state of Iowa. Omicron Chapter was chartered at Burlington, in 1881; Beta Omega at Fairfield, in 1882; Zeta Omega (Iowa Theta) at Ottumwa, in 1884. These chapters were styled associate chapters and were composed of women of high intellectual and social standing, and consequently added strength, collectively and individually, to the organization. Many were graduates of universities and colleges of good standing, but where no secret societies existed.

While these charters were granted by the proper officials of the Fraternity and were properly issued, there was no constitutional provision for them, and it was in violation of the fundamental idea of our Founders.

Kappa Alpha Theta and Kappa Kappa Gama, our two strongest rivals at that time, were initiating preparatory students, and the men 's fraternities maintained associate chapters. Our enthusiastic officials, through too liberal interpretation, and fired with over zeal, made the false step which caused much feeling and long hours of discussions in Conventions which followed, until the Convention of November, 1885, at Lawrence, Kansas, when by a vote of the Convention, all chapters not connected with an accredited institution of learning or not coming up to the college standard were withdrawn from active life. This devotion to the high ideals, greatest good and best interests of the Fraternity, was forcibly exemplified at this time, when members voted themselves ' ' inactive ' ' and went home to grieve over their loss of active life in the Fraternity. This ruling closed the active lives of nine chapters of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity, but it put us on the high plane held up to us as a standard by our wise Founders and the strong, progressive women of the organization.
Link to full text

Last edited by Drolefille; 02-03-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added a bit more.