GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,341
0 members and 1,341 guests
No Members online

Old 08-24-2008, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010

I figured it's high time for a thread on these. LOL.

Is anyone planning on going? I am going to enter the US lottery to try to get tickets, but I'm not sure how my chances will be. I know that Canadian people get a lot of the seats - understandably so. I'm just guessing it'll be the closest Olympics to me in a while (2012 - London, 2014 - Sochi, Russia, and 2016, soon to be announced).

FYI, the ticket lottery for Canadian citizens begins in October. You can sign up for ticket info emails here:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/en/Part...mation/Tickets

Citizens of other countries have to sign up via approved national vendors of the tickets. For the US, you have to go through CoSport. The link to sign up for ticket info for US citizens is here:

http://www.cosport.com/vancouverrequestformcosport.asp

The crazy thing is that I understand basically all the hotel rooms are already gone, booked by vendors, so you almost have to purchase a vacation package that includes the tickets and accommodations. I am so worried it's going to be crazy expensive, but I'm going to start saving now.

I am still angry at my parents for refusing to take me to the Atlantic Olympics because they didn't want to deal with the crowds. I was in middle school and wanted to go SO bad - and I grew up only six hours away from Atlanta. BOOOOOOO.

The other problem is that I seriously doubt I'll get the tickets I'd really like to get for the Vancouver games. I really would like figure skating, or either genre of speed skating. And preferably either the opening or closing ceremonies as well. But those are all pretty popular events. Maybe speed skating less so though? Although bobsled/luge/skeleton are close runners-up. But I guess I'd pretty much take what I could get. And I might have to rule out the opening/closing ceremonies because they're ridiculously expensive and I'll be traveling with another adult and a child more than likely.

Anyone else going to try to go?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Anybody? Bueller?

I figured with all the Pacific NW GCers, I'd get responses quickly.

Two more notes: people who can get accommodations can volunteer for the Olympics, which I considered doing too, but have pretty much decided against. I think people from the region have priority for obvious reasons anyway: they're the best hosts for visitors.

And I think Vancouver has my favorite Olympic mascots ever. These things are so frickin' cute I could die. If I had more cash I would totally splurge on the plushies:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/mascot/en/
Old 08-24-2008, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
My boyfriend and I have been looking into going. They have already posted ticket prices. Maybe it might be a better idea for me to get them because I am Canadian (although I grew up here in the USA). Or if its harder for me...just go to all my family living in Canada!!

I would think that they are still developing places, hotels, and what not in preparation for the Olympics.

BTW...a finalist for the 2016 summer games is Chicago!! But Chicago is up against Madrid, Spain; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; and Tokyo, Japan. The decision won't be announced until October 2009.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL...totally didn't see that you had another thread going about the 2016 bids...Sorry!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamfulSpirit View Post
My boyfriend and I have been looking into going. They have already posted ticket prices. Maybe it might be a better idea for me to get them because I am Canadian (although I grew up here in the USA). Or if its harder for me...just go to all my family living in Canada!!

I would think that they are still developing places, hotels, and what not in preparation for the Olympics.

BTW...a finalist for the 2016 summer games is Chicago!! But Chicago is up against Madrid, Spain; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; and Tokyo, Japan. The decision won't be announced until October 2009.
I definitely think it would be easier for you to get the tickets as a Canadian. I believe more tickets are reserved for the host country. You should enter the lottery rather than him entering the US lottery.

I'm sure they're constructing new hotels, but I'm also already sure they're already pre-booked. Sad to say, but I think the ticket vendors just reserve all the hotels and then you have to get the rooms through them. Or maybe it's not sad and it's the only way to keep things affordable/organized. I'm not sure. Although I'm sure there are exceptions like also renting people's houses and stuff like that - Craigslist and such. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but everything I've read on the Vancouver site (both the ticket and volunteer sites) basically says, if you don't have your own accommodation already, forget it and go through the vendors.

And... I just created a huge post about the 2016 Olympic bids. LOL. Check it out if you're interested.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamfulSpirit View Post
LOL...totally didn't see that you had another thread going about the 2016 bids...Sorry!
LOL, and I totally didn't see this post before I posted my response to your first one.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
I figured with all the Pacific NW GCers, I'd get responses quickly.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/mascot/en/
You rang? LOL. I do want to go watch the Olympics (cuz I live in the 'Couv), but I haven't really thought about it that much. I should sign up for the emails so I am kept current.

As for the mascots, my favorite is Miga. The top of her head reminds me of the soft-serve ice-cream that you get at McDonalds with the loop-de-loop. I think Miga is supposed to be a bear, mixed with orca whale (i.e. in "old skool" terminology, the orca was called killer whales)
Old 08-24-2008, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
I like the mascots....but not feeling the logo....Is it supposed to be something?

Quote:
I am still angry at my parents for refusing to take me to the Atlantic Olympics because they didn't want to deal with the crowds. I was in middle school and wanted to go SO bad - and I grew up only six hours away from Atlanta. BOOOOOOO.
Ditto^^^
I was only 10 when the games were here, but I wanted to go soooo bad!!!!!! My family are huge fans of the games, so I still have no clue why we couldn't have gone! It was probably too expensive!! My uncle went though and brought me back some cute pins and stuff!

Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah...I was in middle school during the Atlanta Olympics, living here in NC, and I really really wanted to go! One of my the guys I went to school with went, I was very jealous...as was everyone else!

When I was living in Arizona, I wanted to go to the Olympics in Salt Lake City since that was really close too! Oh well...it'll happen one of these days! I really do want to go to Vancouver, as it is Canada, and being that I am Canadian...it would just be double special for me!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
I like the mascots....but not feeling the logo....Is it supposed to be something?

Ditto^^^
I was only 10 when the games were here, but I wanted to go soooo bad!!!!!! My family are huge fans of the games, so I still have no clue why we couldn't have gone! It was probably too expensive!! My uncle went though and brought me back some cute pins and stuff!
Re the logo, see this thread:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=65848

I think the tickets are really expensive. Looking at the Vancouver website, they promo that many of the tickets are $25, but they're not necessarily to the popular events. The ceremony tickets are like $300 for example. Figure skating is pricey too.

I think the orca/bear thing is so cute. I guess it's a traditional native spirit symbol, from what I've read. I love the sasquatch one too. soooooo cute!

The tickets draw for Canadians begins October 3 and runs through early November. I don't know much about how the US system works - I haven't read the email they sent me after I signed up for the list. *fingers crossed* that I'll get them.

For my family, I think the turnoff about Atlanta was really more driving into the city, dealing with people, etc. etc. We're country folk (I grew up in NC too Dreamful Spirit). LOL. I remember I even got the ticket request form (at that time it was a paper thing, oh, the days before pervasive internet) and they wouldn't let me fill it out. I wanted to SO BAD. Making things worse, my dad's first cousin lives in Athens and kept sending me memorabilia, which was really sweet of her but just made me want to go even more.

Salt Lake City I wanted to go to but I was kind of out of it that year - I was in college and pledging Pi Phi and very busy, and didn't really have time to watch it. Even though I had a TV in my room, I missed a lot of the competition. Although... maybe part of it was over W&L's February break and I caught that? I do think I tuned in for Michelle Kwan's performances (love her).
Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
The logo is supposed to be an "inukshuk" (it's not a Transformer...LOL, although some of us jokingly call it that). Yeah, we didn't love it either...sigh, but we are stuck with it.
To read on what an inukshuk is, just go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inukshuk
There was some backlash on it here: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...clogo0426.html

London 2012 isn't that great, either, IMO. Oh well.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 08-25-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

CutiePie2000, I've got to say that I think Vancouver's logo is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than London's. At least it evokes native culture/the Pacific NW to me. London's doesn't really evoke anything to me at all except the early 90s and neon fanny packs.

I lurk at Olympic discussion forums and the consensus is that the London logo is one of the most hated ever. Especially by those from the UK. The worst part is that some animation from the London Olympics website revealing the logo back in June 2007 evidently caused seizures in some epileptic individuals. Here's a rundown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics#Logo

So I think Vancouver is definitely sitting pretty with their logo.

Other notable logos... hm... I really liked Sarajevo's, Nagano's, Seoul's, Atlanta's (though it now looks particularly dated to me), and ESPECIALLY Athens's.

The worst thing of all by far though, was Atlanta's awful, awful, awful mascot Izzy.

Fun graphic of Olympic mascots:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Olympicmascot.jpg
Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
The worst thing of all by far though, was Atlanta's awful, awful, awful mascot Izzy.

Fun graphic of Olympic mascots:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Olympicmascot.jpg
Cosign, Izzy sucked eggs. I like Schneemann!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

BF and I are going to try to go to the Vancouver games. I've been a subscriber of the emails for a while now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I had read on the Web site, the organizing committee was encouraging hotels not to book ANY rooms yet while they tried to figure out a solution to the vendors/scalpers situation. The exception to that was Whistler...I know people with cabins there that have rented them out for a bundle!

One more suggestion: consider looking at hotels across the border. It's not far of a drive, but I'm sure there will be a TON of busses going into the city, too.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
BF and I are going to try to go to the Vancouver games. I've been a subscriber of the emails for a while now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I had read on the Web site, the organizing committee was encouraging hotels not to book ANY rooms yet while they tried to figure out a solution to the vendors/scalpers situation. The exception to that was Whistler...I know people with cabins there that have rented them out for a bundle!

One more suggestion: consider looking at hotels across the border. It's not far of a drive, but I'm sure there will be a TON of busses going into the city, too.
But keep in mind that by then you will need a passport to travel back and forth by land.