GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,217
0 members and 1,217 guests
No Members online

Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 PM
dietpepsi

Removing a bad president

I wasn't able to find anything on point through searching, so forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere.

My chapter president is running my sorority into the ground. We are small, under 40 members. She was elected in November, and ever since, she has been more detrimental to the well being of our chapter every day. Just a few things:

1) She chose last minute to run for president, and that created a lot of negativity toward her in the first place from the girls who were upset that the other candidate didn't win.
2) She was only in the chapter for a year before she was elected, and she still doesn't really know our rules or bylaws. People ask her questions and she cannot answer them, and it's unacceptable that our own president does not know our rules.
3) She abuses her power constantly...for instance, our recruitment director last semester didn't make grades and she and our vice pres. lied about it until someone leaked the info to our whole chapter. Instead of electing a new recruitment director, she held the position for formal recruitment weekend and we got fined for several mistakes she made.
4) She is not a good role model or someone the rest of us can respect. She has no problem with attending unregistered parties (which you can get in massive trouble for on our campus), she fell off of a bar a few weekends ago and is always outrageously sloppy in public, and she has had to be dragged out of fraternity boys' bedrooms every time we have had a mixer or even Greek Week practice.

I don't know how to deal with her. The only system we have in our chapter is our standards board, but due to the complicated rules about our standards board and the fact that our chapter advisor is totally out of touch with our chapter, I doubt going to our standards board will help.

Should I go to nationals? I tried to talk to her and she said "Don't even start that with me." If she isn't removed as president, things are going to get progressively worse and I don't know how much more our members can take. She lives in the house, and it appears that everyone except her housemates is against her. It's just a sticky situation and we don't know what to do.

Has anyone else been in a similar position? I would appreciate any advice.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
I wasn't able to find anything on point through searching, so forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere.

My chapter president is running my sorority into the ground. We are small, under 40 members. She was elected in November, and ever since, she has been more detrimental to the well being of our chapter every day. Just a few things:

1) She chose last minute to run for president, and that created a lot of negativity toward her in the first place from the girls who were upset that the other candidate didn't win.
2) She was only in the chapter for a year before she was elected, and she still doesn't really know our rules or bylaws. People ask her questions and she cannot answer them, and it's unacceptable that our own president does not know our rules.
3) She abuses her power constantly...for instance, our recruitment director last semester didn't make grades and she and our vice pres. lied about it until someone leaked the info to our whole chapter. Instead of electing a new recruitment director, she held the position for formal recruitment weekend and we got fined for several mistakes she made.
4) She is not a good role model or someone the rest of us can respect. She has no problem with attending unregistered parties (which you can get in massive trouble for on our campus), she fell off of a bar a few weekends ago and is always outrageously sloppy in public, and she has had to be dragged out of fraternity boys' bedrooms every time we have had a mixer or even Greek Week practice.

I don't know how to deal with her. The only system we have in our chapter is our standards board, but due to the complicated rules about our standards board and the fact that our chapter advisor is totally out of touch with our chapter, I doubt going to our standards board will help.

Should I go to nationals? I tried to talk to her and she said "Don't even start that with me." If she isn't removed as president, things are going to get progressively worse and I don't know how much more our members can take. She lives in the house, and it appears that everyone except her housemates is against her. It's just a sticky situation and we don't know what to do.

Has anyone else been in a similar position? I would appreciate any advice.
I just have one question, why'd people elect her then? Are you sure your opinion is the majority opinion here? IT doesn't make a lot of sense to get mad at someone for running because she won...
Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 PM

OK, since you were nice enough to number, I will too.

1. She ran at the last minute - so what? Apparently more people wanted her to be president than the other girl - who I'm kind of guessing thought she had it in the bag. IMO, good going. Nothing worse than someone who thinks she has a mandate just because no one else wanted to step up.

2. I've heard of people being elected to an office literally a week after they were initiated. If it's true she doesn't know the rules, is anyone trying to help her with that? Or are they just criticizing?

3. I'm not sure if the "she" who made mistakes is the prez or the rush director so I won't comment on how the subsequent fines should have been handled. Either way, no, the prez should have not let someone who didn't make grades have an office, but here was her choice: kick someone out at the last minute (I'm not sure of the timing here) and thrust someone into arguably the most important office in the sorority who had no clue what the eff they were doing, or bend the rules and get through rush. How did you do in rush - did you make quota? Are you at total? Are you happy with the new members from that rush? If so, then quit complaining and move forward.

4. I'm going to be straight up here. You sound like a jealous beeyotch. Has anyone talked to her about her alleged drinking problem? Or is it just an issue because she's drinking her beer out of a can instead of a glass? Do you have anything in your chapter bylaws regarding punishment for attending unregistered events?

I also have to ask...how big is your house? If you have 40, and the house holds 20, I hate to break it to you, but her "housemates" are half the sorority.

The complexion of your chapter sounds as though it's changing. I'm sorry if you have a problem with it, but you can either go with the flow or make yourself miserable and get a reputation as a jerk.

ETA: Be careful what you wish for, or you will surely get it.

Last edited by 33girl; 03-31-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Got rid of QFP since DF did it.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^Was this one of those "omg she's sooo cute and fun!" situations where you elected someone because of her cute and fun-ness then realized that that's not what makes a good president?

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
With respect to the recruitment director, what would have preferred to see happen? And why is the standards board not an option? And what exactly do you want your HQ to do about it?

It sounds like you are aligned with the wrong clique.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

You do come off as being whiny and disappointed that your side didn't win. You need to go ahead and get over that. Scheming and infighting won't help you. I'm about 90% sure that you and your faction need to suck it up and get with the program and do whatever you can to help your house.

There's that 10% of me though which says that very possibly, you aren't accurately conveying the situation and maybe something does need to be done. If you're part of a national organization, surely you have several levels of support before you have to contact your HQ. This is why the good Lord invented chapter advisors. As one of those, were I confronted with this issue, my advice to you would be basically what everyone else here is saying unless you can find some truly legitimate issue. By that, I mean this would have to be something which would threaten the continued existence of the chapter.

Elections have consequences. Trying to subvert leadership and running a faction in the house can just about never be a good thing.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-31-2011, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
The only system we have in our chapter is our standards board, but due to the complicated rules about our standards board and the fact that our chapter advisor is totally out of touch with our chapter, I doubt going to our standards board will help.
I was somewhat sympathetic until I got here. You are DEAD WRONG for going outside your chapter before giving your standards board a chance.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I was somewhat sympathetic until I got here. You are DEAD WRONG for going outside your chapter before giving your standards board a chance.
I have to agree. If standards doesn't do something, you may have to actually accept that maybe you are wrong about the situation. In a sorority, things won't always go your way, and your opinion isn't always the "right" one. Try looking at the situation through "sisterly" glasses instead of being so critical of everything your president does. It's a hard job. Give your Standards officer a call and see where she stands on this issue. Be aware that by ratting out your president about unauthorized parties, you may be opening a can of worms. Just be ready.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

This raises a few questions:

- If she's really such a bad president, why did people decide to elect her?
- Why do you think it wouldn't pass the standards board?
- Shouldn't you have something in your bylaws or constitution that details the removal of bad officers?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Be aware that by ratting out your president about unauthorized parties, you may be opening a can of worms. Just be ready.
Ohhhhhhh yep. Not just for her, but for your whole chapter, and the Greek system in general. Do you really want to be the girl who did that?

In addition, if your HQ has pretty much been laid back, not in a negative way but as far as letting you run things on your own as young adults should - calling them will put you on their radar as a problem chapter, and once on it is quite hard to get off.

Last edited by 33girl; 04-01-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you thought about talking to an advisor? I wouldn't call up your Nationals at all. That is not the proper chain of command. Plus like others have said, in the long run you will end up opening a can of worms. I know you said your Chapter Advisor was out of touch but surely you have more advisors....

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 04-01-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelblue View Post
- Shouldn't you have something in your bylaws or constitution that details the removal of bad officers?
Ditto. Even as a new member, this would have been the first thing I looked into.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Your chapter adviser will remain "out of touch" with the chapter if you continue to treat her that way. Your adviser isn't psychic. She can't step in to advise if she's not being made aware of issues that possibly need her attention.
In all fairness, there's a possibility that the closest physical advisor is a faculty member mandated by the school, who isn't a sister and truly doesn't know what she's doing. In that instance, no, she shouldn't be given any more power than she has. BUT, there should be someone on a regional level they can contact before skipping all the steps and going straight to national council.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Removing a high ranking officer is a tricky proposition, especially a president. I dealt with this as chapter president and it was one of the worst parts of my collegiate experience.

I'm assuming you are a member of an NPC sorority? Or is this a local?

You should have in your chapter and national bylaws and procedures an outline of how to handle a problem. If there is a problem that should go to standards, you need to take it to standards whether you think it will help or not. You need to speak to the adviser, whether you think it will help or not. Not knowing the chain of command in your organization, I would assume next would be some kind of district officer. If you truly think you cannot go through standards and the local adviser first, you can go to the district officer. But you need to be sure you can really explain why you are going out of the established procedures and be ready for the consequences within your chapter. It is also possible that your district officer will listen and tell you to go to standards and the adviser to get the ball rolling, but you will at least know you have the support and backing of someone else.

If your chapter president is breaking rules and procedures, then someone does need to do something. She isn't above the law. Procedures and bylaws are there to protect everyone and the president of all people should be adhering to them.

That said, you may find yourself very unpopular if you try to make a push toward removing her. That isn't to say you shouldn't do so, but be prepared to suffer the consequences of doing the right thing for the present and future of the chapter.

Let us know how it goes.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought this was going to be about the last two administrations.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke