GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,590
3 members and 1,587 guests
JayhawkAOII, John

Old 09-08-2012, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

You Are Always Wearing Your Letters

I just viewed a wonderful video on YouTube that was produced this year by the Greeks at San Diego State University. So good, I wish every sorority and fraternity could watch it! Take a look: YouTube title: Greek Life @ San Diego State University: You Are Always Wearing Your Letters

This is a school that has really struggled over the years with their greek image (too wild and crazy), but they have really done a good job of improving their standards and image. It is a much more solid greek system today. Nice job!!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Love these videos. This is actually based on one that went viral a year ago. Many groups and schools have adapted their own versions, but the script is word for word the same. Still, I find it very inspiring and beneficial in any new member ed program. My own chapter even has their own version.

Last edited by glittergal1985; 09-08-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

It was actually written by TJ Sullivan, a Pi Kappa Phi who is also a leadership speaker. We also started using it this year.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Probably in the minority here with my opinion.

Not a fan of this essay or any of the resulting videos that have ensued.

First time I heard it, I thought it was a great message. Second time, I started processing the message on a deeper level, analyzing it; and what I took away is that it is essentially a form of shaming members on paper. It's like the "just say no" campaign, which made adults feel better and think (mistakenly) that they were "empowering" (gag on THAT word) children in the "war against drugs" (another gag). (Don't even get me started on "empowering" - what a joke THAT has become.).

In short: it's a one-time sermon and I am not convinced that the message is being intuited or embraced by those it's targeting. Does hearing/reading/watching it once make a significant change in behavior? My observation is that those who embrace the message are not those who most need to do so.

*shrug* Just remember, I said it was my opinion. I don't need anyone to agree with me. And I am perfectly fine being in the minority, along with my hero Andrew Jackson.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post

First time I heard it, I thought it was a great message. Second time, I started processing the message on a deeper level, analyzing it; and what I took away is that it is essentially a form of shaming members on paper. It's like the "just say no" campaign, which made adults feel better and think (mistakenly) that they were "empowering" (gag on THAT word) children in the "war against drugs" (another gag). (Don't even get me started on "empowering" - what a joke THAT has become.).

In short: it's a one-time sermon and I am not convinced that the message is being intuited or embraced by those it's targeting. Does hearing/reading/watching it once make a significant change in behavior? My observation is that those who embrace the message are not those who most need to do so.

*shrug* Just remember, I said it was my opinion. I don't need anyone to agree with me. And I am perfectly fine being in the minority, along with my hero Andrew Jackson.
I'm right there with you. Of course I also think it's a bit hyperbolic...and way too long.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if there's a correlation between badge lust and disliking this? Like AzTheta I liked it the first time I heard it and then started really analyzing it. For a student, I get it - on and around campus people know you and you're representing your chapter. But then he talks about the rest of your life, and I have to disagree. Do I represent Delta Chi at work? Yes, but I work in greek life. If that's not the case you probably don't. Do I represent Delta Chi when I go out to dinner? No, if I'm rude to my waitress (which I wouldn't be - major pet peeve - say thank you people!) she doesn't walk away thinking that this Delta Chi wasn't representing his values, she just thinks I'm a jerk. I also feel like it's negative reinforcement and doesn't appeal to why the person should represent their values but rather why they shouldn't misbehave. Anyway YMMV.

BlueOwl, I will agree that SDSU Greeks could use a whole bunch of good PR and this is a good move or them!

Last edited by Gusteau; 09-08-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Thumbs too big for phone typing!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I wonder if there's a correlation between badge lust and disliking this?
LOL. I don't know, but I don't like it either, for all the reasons that AzTheta, AOII Angel and you have given, and I would add that it's preachy.

I especially agree with Gusteau that the whole "when you commit yourself to that special someone, you're wearing our letters" is over the top. Yes, when you're in school, a bad decision can bring down a chapter. Not the same later in life.

I also take issue with the idea that the lesson "You're always wearing your letters" is "more important than our . . . history, our traditions . . . or our rules." Ummmm, no it's not. If I pay attention to the history, traditions and rules of my fraternity, especially those rooted in our values, then I don't need a lecture on how I'm always wearing my letters. That history and those traditions teach me more about how I should comport myself than a slogan does. AzTheta and Gusteau are right -- it's a form of shaming that says "don't embarrass us" rather than "live the values you've pledged yourself to."

(And AzTheta, I gag with you on "empower" and "empowerment")

Last edited by MysticCat; 11-30-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post

Hear, hear. I also think that there's a good amount of slut-shaming that goes on among Greek women (including, very often, on these boards), and we should be aware of that, as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Still even as an Alumna, if I have tag/sticker on my car, am wearing a lavalier or ring and do something that appears in a negative it reflects on Theta. It's why in my car I am more careful than I might otherwise be about being rude in traffic or with gestures to other rude road warriors. What I do may give someone an image of Theta that reflects poorly on Theta if I have self identified as a Theta at that moment.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

While I appreciate what these groups are trying to do (this is a big commitment, not just another club), I totally agree with MysticCat and like-minded posters. SAI's Symphony is a great set of principles to live by for members of the fraternity (and non-members, if they wanted).

A gentle reminder to behave as the GLO's principles ask is really all that's required of most people, or, y'know, the members could just remember to act like polite human beings.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Still even as an Alumna, if I have tag/sticker on my car, am wearing a lavalier or ring and do something that appears in a negative it reflects on Theta. It's why in my car I am more careful than I might otherwise be about being rude in traffic or with gestures to other rude road warriors. What I do may give someone an image of Theta that reflects poorly on Theta if I have self identified as a Theta at that moment.
To the bold statement, of course.

Still, I'd prefer a less shame-based method of motivation.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Very true, but that's because you're identifying yourself as a Theta, not because everyone on campus knows you're a Theta whether you have letters on or not. Alumni can certainly embarrass their GLOs, but it's not the same as when you're in college. Context matters. That's what makes the video, aimed at college students, hyperbolic.

The message shouldn't be "don't embarrass us." It should be "live our values."

As I thought about it, the other thing that struck me as odd about the video was that it seemed to be aimed at prospective members. I think they actually said something in there about not rushing (though I'm sure they didn't use that word) if you weren't willing to take the "you're always wearing your letters" lesson seriously. I hate to say it, but actions speak much louder than words. If the Greek Community isn't already exemplifying that lesson in a way that the rest of the campus notices (and I have no idea one way or the other), then to preach it to prospective members is going to come across as hypocrisy. It turns the potentially good PR into bad PR.

Last edited by MysticCat; 09-08-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I hate to say it, but actions speak much louder than words. If the Greek Community isn't already exemplifying that lesson in a way that the rest of the campus notices (and I have no idea one way or the other), then to preach it to prospective members is going to come across as hypocrisy. It turns the potentially good PR into bad PR.
This statement if full of win.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post

As I thought about it, the other thing that struck me as odd about the video was that it seemed to be aimed a prospective members. I think they actually said something in there about not rushing (though I'm sure they didn't use that word) if you weren't willing to take the "you're always wearing your letters" lesson seriously. I hate to say it, but actions speak much louder than words. If the Greek Community isn't already exemplifying that lesson in a way that the rest of the campus notices (and I have no idea one way or the other), then to preach it to prospective members is going to come across as hypocrisy. It turns the potentially good PR into bad PR.
You are so right.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!