Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,524
0 members and 1,524 guests
No Members online

Old 02-24-2008, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Gift for Bride and Groom when you're the Best Man?

I'll be the Best Man for one of my HS friends (he's an only child) for his wedding in May (I want to make sure that I'm prepared). Even though I went away for college, we've remained close, and I've become almost equally as close with the bride (their actually #2 and #3 in my speed dial) over the course of the last 6 years they've been dating, since the fall of our freshman years. I'm super pumped for this, even started writing my toasts, and I want to make sure I've got everything covered. I've read a number of websites and have seen that other than the bachelor party, I'm expected help with the tipping of wait staff and DJ's, the officiant's fee, drive the couple to the airport if they're leaving the next day, arrange for flowers in their hotel room etc. But I haven't seen anything about getting gifts.

So...what's acceptable? What's creative or unique?

I thought about getting them a nice bottle of champagne - Dom or an equivalent (they do drink, so that's not an issue...lord do they drink), that they might be able to share on their 1st anniversary, but didn't know if there was something more traditional or more accepted as the standard.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Our best man got us tickets to Hairspray. If theatre is something the newlywed couple would like, that's a great gift. Newlyweds are often saving for a home or paying off the wedding. Social activities like going out are usually the first things to suffer.

It really sounds like you are going to be a great best man by the way!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the idea. I'll definitely consider it. I think social events have already gone out the window. They just closed on a house this week, and she's a first year medical student (being a third year med student, I know how this goes).

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-24-2008, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Maybe you can organize the other groomsmen and go in on one of the larger items off of their registry?

By the way, you do sound like a great best man...I just want to make sure you know, the help with tipping, just means delivering envelopes...not actually helping with the cost.

Also, you are in charge of decorating their car (or whatever vehicle) they are leaving the reception in. :-) That could be fun!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

This may seem like a weird question, but are they Jewish? If they are, I have a great gift idea.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I knew that about the tipping. I realize that my main role is to make sure that things run smoothly by taking care of the small details.

They're not Jewish, but I'd still like to hear your idea - it might get the creative ideas going.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-24-2008, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeta View Post
Yeah, I knew that about the tipping. I realize that my main role is to make sure that things run smoothly by taking care of the small details.

They're not Jewish, but I'd still like to hear your idea - it might get the creative ideas going.
It wouldn't work then. In a Jewish wedding, at the end of the ceremony, the groom steps on either a glass or a lightbulb to break it. There is a company that will take the shards and put them back together in a lucite cube so they look suspended. The cube is inscribed with their names, wedding date, whatever else you want.

Here's a picture:
Old 02-24-2008, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Very cool, but you're right, it's not possible for a non-Jewish wedding...maybe someone else will see this though and be able to use it.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the idea of organizing the groomsman to get one nice item. Lets face it, they get a lot of little stuff and way too many engraved nick nacks.

Last year I looked at one registry and they were asking for huge items like refrigerators and Plasma TVs. When I said something to the MOB about that being over the top, she said that anything that is on the registery that they personally buy in the first year, they get 10% off.

Start with the registry and see if something would fit.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

We accepted cash