GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,591
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,451
1 members and 1,450 guests
Cookiez17

Old 05-19-2013, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Re-entry junior transfer to rush at 27

If anyone susses out my identity from this, then please don't name me. I'm trying to find help without any blowback, in case my questions are offensive or reveal any inferiority I may have.

I am heading back to college either this fall or spring after 3 years of homelessness, during which I engaged in political controversies, begged for spare change and hugs, and got old enough to be considered different. Before I was pushed out for political reasons, I was impoverished and socially isolated, with no real friends. I do have 6 years of experience as president of a national nonprofit.

Do I have a shot at finding a locally respectable, socially relevant chapter that will trade its social knowledge for my business knowledge and eventual political clout?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adteddiem View Post
If anyone susses out my identity from this, then please don't name me. I'm trying to find help without any blowback, in case my questions are offensive or reveal any inferiority I may have.

I am heading back to college either this fall or spring after 3 years of homelessness, during which I engaged in political controversies, begged for spare change and hugs, and got old enough to be considered different. Before I was pushed out for political reasons, I was impoverished and socially isolated, with no real friends. I do have 6 years of experience as president of a national nonprofit.

Do I have a shot at finding a locally respectable, socially relevant chapter that will trade its social knowledge for my business knowledge and eventual political clout?
Trade?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

What exactly are you looking for? Are you male or female?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I am not so good at these things but it took me like three seconds to figure out who you are, and I don't think a fraternity is going to be able to satisfy your needs.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 PM

I have no idea who you are, but it seems that offering your services as a speaker would be more honorable than trying to find a fraternity that will pimp for you.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

This is the strangest question I have seen on GC in a long time.
At nearly 30 years old, you want "social knowledge" from a bunch of college fraternity guys? You cannot possibly be serious!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

No, you don't. You will get a bid based on whether or not you click with the guys socially, and not based on your business acumen/experience and potential future career. If you're as outspoken and controversial as you claim, and "old enough to be considered different," then I think you will have a hard time. I'd be delighted to be wrong and for you to find a good fit with a chapter, however, and I encourage you to go through rush to at least see if you are compatible with any of the fraternities. Keep in mind that joining a fraternity does not entitle you to real friends nor will it teach you how to make friends or "social knowledge" as you put it; it simply gains you entrance into the organization. You won't be Mr. Popular overnight, as friendships take time to develop. A fraternity will not teach you how to become a social butterfly or help you to become less socially awkward. It will simply connect you to other men who are members. It's up to you to do the rest.

You should also ask yourself what a 29 year old with significant real world work experience hopes to gain by hanging around a bunch of 18-22 year olds with limited life experience, the same men who will be ordering you around as a pledge and imposing certain rules. Are you prepared to be the creepy older guy at fraternity parties? The women you will meet as a result of hanging around these guys will also be in this age range.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to seek out a campus political organization that you can utilize to build your political career? Get involved with a local political campaign? Etc?

I understand that older students go back to school and some are successful in the Greek System if that school is a non-traditional campus. Is yours? Even if it is, is the composition of the Greek System more "traditional" aged? Take a good long look at what you want out of Greek Life, and if those goals are compatible with the fraternity, then go for it. I think that older nontraditional or second career students are not necessarily going to enjoy the experience as much as traditional ones, but again, I'm glad to be wrong and wish you the best.

Last edited by adpiucf; 05-20-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I think this guy sounds way too awesome for a fraternity. He should probably just start his own selective social organization and anoint himself leader. He could call it Delta Beta for "douchebag."