GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,088
0 members and 1,088 guests
No Members online

Old 01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Derby Days

Does anyone know when Sigma Chi Derby Days at Ole Miss are scheduled for 2010? Or what happens during Derby Days?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr14 View Post
Does anyone know when Sigma Chi Derby Days at Ole Miss are scheduled for 2010? Or what happens during Derby Days?
WTF does this have to do with sorority recruitment?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, if you read her first interpretation of what a Water Party was, it might make so much sense that it's nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr14 View Post
That makes sense, thank you! That was not on my guess radar, I couldn't past thinking a water party is a swimming pool party!
Old 04-10-2010, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, the response to this seemed needlessly catty, so much so that I finally signed up just so I could post a reply. If I recall correctly from high school, Derby Days is a huge party weekend when a) all the sororities compete in some sort of dance/performance contest that they all want desperately to win and b) this is a big weekend for HS seniors who want to pledge a sorority or fraternity, so it's a bit of a quasi-rush situation (though I'm not sure to what extent rules and restrictions allow it to be promoted or spoke of in that sense). From my high school/senior year (not all that recent, alas) I seem to recall that not going to Derby Days weekend was basically the same thing as saying you were not at all interested in rushing and/or pledging, for guys and girls.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

are you inferring that this is what derby days is specifically at ole miss? it was not an event for high schoolers to observe at fl. state when i was there.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:41 PM

OleMissGlitter, correct me if I'm wrong.

The couple of times I went to Ole Miss's Derby Days, it was strictly for active members of Sigma Chi and the Ole Miss sororities. I'm sure there might have been a few hometown friends or real-life brothers (or in our case, a chapter close by to make a quick road trip). But, I did not see it as a rush tool.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

At Arkansas, Derby Days and other notable spring parties (SAE CATfish Row, etc) were big unofficial rush events...back in the day, Now, with liability issues and new rush rules, it is very controlled (as much as possible) and a strictly UofA student event or guests who are over 18. Sororities are in "no contact" mode as well.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind, my high school days were not recent, at all, I'm sad to say. Back in the day, my friends who wanted to rush made a point of going for this weekend. I just didn't think it was fair to suggest, regardless of how horrible the original poster may or may not be or how informed she is/is not in the minutiae of sorority recruitment, that Sigma Chi Derby Days had nothing to do with sororities and their efforts to promote themselves in this way or that by winning some competition or achieving some sliver of notoriety among future rushees. All this stuff is kind of amusing to me, which is more proof that I am far removed in years from my high-school mentality.