GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,415
0 members and 1,415 guests
No Members online

Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG... I haven't been on GC in months, but it is funny to me how the first thing I ran into were threads on socieites. A few of my sorors and myself almost came to blows with some Que Pearls at my school for blatanly throwing up the pyramid and ooping. Before this happened, I had no problems with Que Pearls...I talk to one a regular basis. I just felt like this was something that never should've happened. If you want respect, you have to give. These Pearls feel as though since they were brought in by Bruhs, they took the spot of the Deltas here on the yard. I politely informed that Delta Sigma Theta does not have a brother organization and that whenever I decide to be OWT with Bruhs, that is exactly what I will do. But one thing that you will not do, is disrespect my organization. You choose your path, and I choose mine so let's leave at that. I just feel that whatever a person decides to do, it is best to uphold that standards that your organization or society sets.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate to hear about sorors "almost coming to blows", especially over things that aren't even official with orgs that aren't official. That is not our standard. Take a lesson from ducks.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I've known members who have joined auxilary groups that have also gone on to become very active and hardworking members of abc,xyz,etc... sorority
I think it depends on how you carry yourself, but one should always be careful who she associates herself with...I just wouldn't do it.
On a personal note, I do think licence plates with auxilary letters on them are somewhat ridiculous.....especially after 21 years of age.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface View Post
I've known members who have joined auxilary groups that have also gone on to become very active and hardworking members of abc,xyz,etc... sorority
I think it depends on how you carry yourself, but one should always be careful who she associates herself with...I just wouldn't do it.
On a personal note, I do think licence plates with auxilary letters on them are somewhat ridiculous.....especially after 21 years of age.
Did you read ladygreek's comments above? These groups (with the exception of the Iota sweethearts) have been illegitimate since 1990 when the NPHC banned them. Therefore it doesn't matter how they carry themselves. They don't exist except for in their own minds.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this may a dumb question but there are none of these at my school. What exactly ARE auxillary groups? Why were they created? I mean why didn't those people just join sororities or fraternities themselves instead of making an extension of it?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThusainGREEN View Post
I know this may a dumb question but there are none of these at my school. What exactly ARE auxillary groups? Why were they created? I mean why didn't those people just join sororities or fraternities themselves instead of making an extension of it?
A quick search brought this up.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Did you read ladygreek's comments above? These groups (with the exception of the Iota sweethearts) have been illegitimate since 1990 when the NPHC banned them. Therefore it doesn't matter how they carry themselves. They don't exist except for in their own minds.
I understand they are not actually recognized however somewhere in the world someone will express interest, join one, and possibly go on to join an actual sorority......
If it is known that these auxilary groups are present on a particular campus I feel one should "look before leaping".....
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

If they are present on a campus, one should not leap at all.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Reply to Auxiliaries

Auxiliary groups have always been a big debate no matter what campus you go to. After joining my frat, I was two-sided about auxiliaries. I believe they are harmless if they respect the fact that they are not a sorority and do not need to compete with Greek Letter organizations. However, most of the time this doesn't happen and you get all these conflicts on campus. Also, these auxiliaries have been sometimes labeled as "groupies". All in all, I think that if they just respect themselves and and respect other sororities on campus and know their place, it'll all be alright. Either way, we can't stop them. And to all who dont know, they ARE official. Iota Sweethearts are part of the Iota constitution. KKI and AAI are independent and official INCORPORATED organizations. AAI has it's own national headquarters, their own national conference, and their own intake for membership. Whether an Alpha chapter is affiliated with AAI or not, a group of girls can join on her own...you can't stop 'em. What we, as fraternity men, need to do is to education these young women about being a part of these orgs. Tell them the pros and cons. Tell them that they cannot disrepect the sororities because they themselves are NOT one and dont have the historical background like one. If they want to rep and make their calls, sure....go ahead and let them, they worked and earned it. But the disrespect has to stop.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Boy, this thread will not die...

Why should it be up to fraternity men to "educate" these women?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

So he chose THAT to be his first post, huh?

I Stay Woke!!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Even this this is super old, I feel the need to include my opinion. Being a newly initiated member of Iota Sweetheart Auxiliary, I can honestly say that the "beef" is GREATLY exaggerated. Especially by closed minded people. On my campus, which is an HBCU everyone, hearts, frats, and sororities have a mutual respect for each. I was an individual before I was a heart, and honestly only lames really dwell in such nonsense. I have plenty of sisters who are hearts and went on to be AKA's, Deltas, SGRHOS and Zetas, and are very active in BOTH of their orgs. As with any group whether it be by race, class, or any genre...a few individuals can stigmatize a whole group... yet, it should not take away all the good that hearts do. In some cases some hearts do more work than all the sororities combine. Respect is given, when it's received. If you do your research, for every 10 sorors...at least 4 were hearts. That's fact! Even some of the founders of Delta were Alpha Sweethearts....read it in their book In Search of Sisterhood. Please research deligently and chose what's in your heart to do.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousLady64 View Post
Even this this is super old, I feel the need to include my opinion. Being a newly initiated member of Iota Sweetheart Auxiliary, I can honestly say that the "beef" is GREATLY exaggerated. Especially by closed minded people. On my campus, which is an HBCU everyone, hearts, frats, and sororities have a mutual respect for each. I was an individual before I was a heart, and honestly only lames really dwell in such nonsense. I have plenty of sisters who are hearts and went on to be AKA's, Deltas, SGRHOS and Zetas, and are very active in BOTH of their orgs. As with any group whether it be by race, class, or any genre...a few individuals can stigmatize a whole group... yet, it should not take away all the good that hearts do. In some cases some hearts do more work than all the sororities combine. Respect is given, when it's received. If you do your research, for every 10 sorors...at least 4 were hearts. That's fact! Even some of the founders of Delta were Alpha Sweethearts....read it in their book In Search of Sisterhood. Please research deligently and chose what's in your heart to do.
Lies.

I Stay Woke!!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousLady64 View Post
I don't really say a whole lot, because within this forum, my Soror's tend to TCB! However, YOU are SADLY MISTAKEN!
I don't know who or what you are or are WANTING to be (or even understand your attempt to introduce yourself within this forum), however, I HIGHLY suggest that you take your lies and means of deception outta the Delta Forum!
If you wish to perpetuate these beliefs in YOUR mind, that's fine, but don't make the attempt to do the same here! You are outta your mind if YOU THINK or honestly BELIEVE that this will fly within this forum.
The thread was old and YOU should have kept it that way and just moved on.
Perhaps it is YOU who should re-read the book In Search of Sisterhood, by Soror Giddings and perhaps, your attempts at cognition and understanding will take form, place, and shape, if at all.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

LAMES...I find that many who have a problem with hearts...are threaten by hearts..and if they are as "insignificant" as you claim they are to be...why perpetuate hate and exaggerated instances that you truly don't understand... I am a legacy of Delta...so when I speak of Delta, it is with the knowledge of 4 generations that came before me...not me mindlessly and carelessly talking out of my ass like many tend to do to make their point valid... I have respect for the history of all the Divine 9 and their history...but sadly many of the chapters of these orgs are becoming a mockey...because people lost sight of the very core of their orgs. It's not to throw up a sign, partywalk, do a call, are wear nalia every single day. It's to give back to the community..even if it means not asking in returning....the founders are probably turning in the graves to see their orgs being misrepresented by people who lost the vision they had. I can go on and on and on...but I have my opinion...and you have yours. Bottom line...I love being a sweetheart..and I love all my hearts that are in sororities...RESPECT is what it boils down to. Being HUMBLE, and knowing who you are in your letters and not letting the letters define the individual is the key factor. If you dislike...dislike based on our personal interaction...not simply because Im a heart. Many Deltas I personally know were Kappa Kittens, Sigma Souls, Alpha Angels, Omega Essence and Iota Sweethearts....and they simply don't care for this "beef" so why should you?