» Online Users: 1,036
0 members and 1,036 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelphean View Post
I would also think that GPhiB would be the easiest one to AI into because there are several members of GPhiB who are AIs.
This is exactly what most of us are trying to avoid. Besides the AI forum, that spells it out, you'd have to do a lot of GC research to figure out which sororities have AIs and how many. Plus, most of the women who are AIs (with a few exceptions) are in favor of removing the subforum, because it's doing more harm then good. Hell, I know for a fact that there are AIs on this board who don't want to reveal they are AIs because they don't want to be crucified, and that's sad.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Cool. Another culture difference between NPC and NPHC. We typically don't condone soon-to-be talk and prefer people come forward about their sorority affiliation after initiation. Because strange things happen, after initiation is the only time the person has it "in the bag."
Well, I guess I could assume that things could change suddenly before initiation, but since I've been given my new member pin and was given permission to wear letters publically (although as an alumna, I'm not terribly interested in doing so), I have begun openly stating my affiliation with Alpha Sigma Alpha.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post
Well, I guess I could assume that things could change suddenly before initiation, but since I've been given my new member pin and was given permission to wear letters publically (although as an alumna, I'm not terribly interested in doing so), I have begun openly stating my affiliation with Alpha Sigma Alpha.
Another cultural difference. But congrats. ASA is a wonderful sorority filled with cool women.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Another cultural difference. But congrats. ASA is a wonderful sorority filled with cool women.
Thanks!! I think so, too.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelphean View Post
My question is, what does it matter if there is a sub forum or not?

Anyone can come on this site and do a quick search to find that there are several GCers who are AIs.

Even without the AI forum, which I never read until all bickering started, I could deduct that ASA, ZTA, GPhiB, APhi, and ADPi ALL have some sort of AI as their are AI members from those sororities on this board. I would also think that GPhiB would be the easiest one to AI into because there are several members of GPhiB who are AIs. This may not be true, but this is what I would gather if I knew nothing a/b any of the sororities.

Without an AI subforum, someone who knows nothing about AI would not have a launching off place to shop for the easy sorority to join as an AI- which I don't think ANY sorority wants. If AI discussions were restricted to the specific organizations' subforums, most random AI-seekers would have to start with organizations they have prior knowledge of-- and there, if they post that "Hey, I know nothing about XYZ but I see that you have alumni initiates, how do I become one?" that organization's members can respond as they feel appropriate based on how their organization runs things.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I like that idea...and then when it comes to the individual sub-forum, we can shut it down quickly in the fashion of the Divine 9.

Really truly, their way is the best way...in my humble opinion...if a question is asked, say that it shouldn't be and then it gets shut down without hurt feelings, etc. If that person is meant to be a sister/brother, it will happen for them in the manner most people on this forum would like- discretly and because of some tie to that organ.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Banned

I'm curious about something, so I'll just throw it out there. If so many sororities don't want AI discussed on Greek Chat, then why doesn't someone from higher up in the individual GLO's not post on here from time to time making the wishes of the individual GLO known.

I'm only asking this b/c many having posted the GC is affecting AI policy of many sororities.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how far reaching the affect of GC really is on sorority AI procedures but most if not all the sororities (and fraternities) try to keep an eye on things here. The "higher ups" don't post here due to many reasons. (I'll take a stab that the #1 reason is to not to make GC a legit place to get membership info.) If it's important enough to be said they'll do it through their existing communications with members (newsletters, websites, etc).
Old 10-04-2006, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheLimit View Post
I'm curious about something, so I'll just throw it out there. If so many sororities don't want AI discussed on Greek Chat, then why doesn't someone from higher up in the individual GLO's not post on here from time to time making the wishes of the individual GLO known.

I'm only asking this b/c many having posted the GC is affecting AI policy of many sororities.

Any thoughts?

There have been a few national officers on this board who have asked that the information be limited. Unfortunately their concerns weren't taken very seriously by the former mod. That has been part of the problem from the beginning. Incorrect and unneeded information was being allowed to circulate and wasn't being stopped like it should have been. From there other problems arose and were blown totally out of proportion. I personally wish the forum to be deleted all together but if it isn't going to be,there needs to be a much much tighter reign on it.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

So I just thought of an excellent reason that an AI forum isn't needed!

For all the lovely women who have successfully AI'd are FULL MEMBERS! They don't need a seperate forum. If they get to keep a seperate forum then we should also have one for NM/pledges.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

John updates the web features of GC from time to time. Sororities update their "features" from time to time, too. It's part of having a good long-term strategic plan for success.

The AI forum was a good idea a few years ago. It's not a good idea now. GC and sororities have changed. That's another reason why the sorority women on GC have asked for the removal of this forum, and I think its a shame that this request isn't being honored.

I don't think that the mods should feel they have to meet every single request or interpret every possible complaint, but for what other reason does GC exist than for GC members? And if the sorority women have identified that there is a forum that is causing open discussion of membership selection processes that is not supposed to be discussed, I for one am disappointed that the mods have not reacted in a proactive way to delete this forum. The AI forum was a good idea a few years back. It's no longer viewed in the same way. Pre-AI membership shouldn't be discussed in this way. Once you are AI, you're our sister-- come on over to your sorority-specific forum and say hello.

Maybe the best thing for all of us to do is to just ignore this forum. The less traffic, the less interest.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't see why it's such a big deal. Every sorority has its own policy regarding AI and what can and can't be discussed regarding it, and where. While the officers of AB might not care that Patty PNAI found out about AI from GC, the officers of CDE, might, and would not even consider Patty unless she had a prior connection to CDE. I think it's our job to honor and respect the policies of other organizations, even if we don't agree with them. If that means not talking about AI for a specific organization because its officers don't want it discussed on GC, then so be it.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Banned

I agree with adpicf that once you are initiated that you should probably stay in the forum with your GLO...that's understandable. I also agree with KLPDaisy, regarding that every sorority has it's own policies on what it wants openly discussed. If a national GLO has a policy about it, then it's members should follow that.

As a person in contact with a sorority as we speak regarding AI, I guess my concern is that the subject of AI getting shut down on GC by people that disagree with AI, and whether or not they really speak for the sorority as a whole.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheLimit View Post
As a person in contact with a sorority as we speak regarding AI, I guess my concern is that the subject of AI getting shut down on GC by people that disagree with AI, and whether or not they really speak for the sorority as a whole.
If they would get "shut down" by postings on a message board, that's exactly the kind of member sororities do NOT want. Alumna or collegian, for that matter. I certainly wouldn't want to offer membership to someone who thinks everything I have to say is the same viewpoint everyone else in my sorority holds.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

We're not anti-AI. We just don't want to discuss the process or chronicle the journey of an AI on this forum! Once someone is initiated, she is our sister and we're glad.