GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,449
0 members and 1,449 guests
No Members online

Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennRN View Post
srmom, we are in the same boat! I'm clueless as well! And now I want to know what hs in Dallas...
He was posting both here and on another site which lets just say is much less rushee friendly.

And it's Jesuit in Dallas.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Ohhhh. ok. That was our brother school when I was in hs.

I still am clueless to what all has happened here.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ohhhh. ok. That was our brother school when I was in HS.

This threads OP was also posting on at least two other "Greek Sites".
One of which, as prior poster indicated, is not rushee friendly.
They pulled up all his prior postings (including GC) as well as facebook account et al.
IIRC, parts were shown here as well a bit ago.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
He actually joined the Acacia group they listed for him.
It was quite an impressive out.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ohhhh. ok. That was our brother school when I was in hs.

Ursuline?

Good school. Lot of cute girls from there.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Ursuline?

Yep.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Ursuline?

The president of my chapter before me was an Ursuline grad!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

So, I'm guessing that the "outing" on this other website has ruined his chances to pledge? I think that is really sad. Poor kid. From the posts here, he doesn't seem like a bad guy, but I don't know anything beyond that.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
So, I'm guessing that the "outing" on this other website has ruined his chances to pledge? I think that is really sad. Poor kid. From the posts here, he doesn't seem like a bad guy, but I don't know anything beyond that.
Basically. He did some pretty stupid things though.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Its a good lesson though that you can never be too careful about what you post on the internet because even more now than ever EVERYONE and ANYONE can see it!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
I agree with you, srmom, he seemed like a nice kid on here, it sounds like he just got a little ahead of himself. So is there no recourse for him? No forgiveness among the guys that he's just a high school senior that still has a lot to learn and might turn out to be a great pledge/brother some day? That's pretty brutal.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
He actually joined the Acacia group they listed for him.
It was quite an impressive out.
So wait... he didn't join Acacia, just joined their facebook rush group?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
So wait... he didn't join Acacia, just joined their facebook rush group?
Correct.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
I agree with you, srmom, he seemed like a nice kid on here, it sounds like he just got a little ahead of himself. So is there no recourse for him? No forgiveness among the guys that he's just a high school senior that still has a lot to learn and might turn out to be a great pledge/brother some day? That's pretty brutal.
I think how this all played out could be seen as brutal, but I do not think it affected certain options.

When he first started posting here, a few UT people- including me- PMed him and offered to answer questions etc. Those offers were largely ignored but the questions kept coming- and all of a sudden he became an "expert" on UT Greek Life in a few posts.

If he was truly top tier material and destined to go to a top tier house, as a senior in high school he would have already known about the top houses (plus they would have known about him) and probably even had a good idea where he might end up. The top tier houses fill their pledge classes every year with people who come to UT already knowing what they need to know- so they have no need to seek out candidates who are new to all this. And so it is just naturally harder for someone who starts late in the game- even if they might actually be suited for a top tier chapter.

In the long run, this little internet episode did not really change anything for top tier options- it just made for some interesting reading. However it most certainly damaged his chances with many mid tier houses.

That is a shame, but he kind of brought it on himself. There were several people here, including some really good top tier contacts, who were willing to help him out early on- and he was given many chances.

Last edited by EE-BO; 05-20-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
I think how this all played out could be seen as brutal, but I do not think it affected certain options.

When he first started posting here, a few UT people- including me- PMed him and offered to answer questions etc. Those offers were largely ignored but the questions kept coming- and all of a sudden he became an "expert" on UT Greek Life in a few posts.

If he was truly top tier material and destined to go to a top tier house, as a senior in high school he would have already known about the top houses (plus they would have known about him) and probably even had a good idea where he might end up. The top tier houses fill their pledge classes every year with people who come to UT already knowing what they need to know- so they have no need to seek out candidates who are new to all this. And so it is just naturally harder for someone who starts late in the game- even if they might actually be suited for a top tier chapter.

In the long run, this little internet episode did not really change anything for top tier options- it just made for some interesting reading. However it most certainly damaged his chances with many mid tier houses.

That is a shame, but he kind of brought it on himself. There were several people here, including some really good top tier contacts, who were willing to help him out early on- and he was given many chances.
Ah, well that fleshes it out more, thanks EE-BO. Makes sense.